over priced postage

fireburner

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Chris
eBay User
ablett
I've been buying alot on ebay lately & usually don't mind paying up to $5US for postage/handling, even if it's slightly high. Yesterday I won a Al. Jefferson card for $2.99US & the guy wanted $8US postage! I messaged him nicely to ask why & here is his reply..

Sorry. It is $8US because of handling. If not shipping outside the US, I can go 24/7 and use lobby PO machine which is immediately available. Overseas packages have to be taken to the PO during business hours, then I have to wait in line 10 people deep for average of 30 minutes to send. That is why I have to charge more for shipping outside the US.

:mad::mad:

Did you ask for a quote prior to the auction end or does it state the price for international on the auction page? If the answer is No to either of these, particularly the first, nothing you can do and a lesson learnt for next time.
It's annoying yes, but I always ask if it's not stated on the page.

this is why we ALL need to ask why postage is so high before the auction ends.
$8 is ridiculous for first class mail!!!

i am sure a few of us on here know that in the US you don't have to go to the post office to post international items, you can simply go online and print off a postage label....................all you need is the weight of the item and you can print off the stamp/label.
all the bigger sellers use them and from what i have been told it is quite easy and you don't need anything other than a computer and a printer.

i just asked a seller today what his postage was to australia and he came back with $8, after my query of why it was $8, he came back with "i can reduce it to $4"................so i am sure that most sellers are just trying to get as much as they can to make up for ebay fee's,paypal fee's etc etc

Agreed. Which is why when I see a price listed as over $5 I ask why it's so much, and if not listed I always state to them what the First Class International rate is as a 'if this helps' comment so they know I'm not about to be taken for a ride and they give me a realistic postage cost.

this is why we ALL need to ask why postage is so high before the auction ends.
$8 is ridiculous for first class mail!!!

i am sure a few of us on here know that in the US you don't have to go to the post office to post international items, you can simply go online and print off a postage label....................all you need is the weight of the item and you can print off the stamp/label.
all the bigger sellers use them and from what i have been told it is quite easy and you don't need anything other than a computer and a printer.

i just asked a seller today what his postage was to australia and he came back with $8, after my query of why it was $8, he came back with "i can reduce it to $4"................so i am sure that most sellers are just trying to get as much as they can to make up for ebay fee's,paypal fee's etc etc

Agreed. Which is why when I see a price listed as over $5 I ask why it's so much, and if not listed I always state to them what the First Class International rate is as a 'if this helps' comment so they know I'm not about to be taken for a ride and they give me a realistic postage cost.

haha, yep you need to say something or they will get you for whatever they want to charge.
my standard line if it is say $6 or more is " oh are you sending it registered/global priority??" that usually makes them think a bit:lol::lol::lol:

man, $8 is cheap, most people are trying to get $13-15US for basic airmail (priority mail or whatever its called). i just refuse to bid on cards with that kind of postage. if i desperately want the card ill try and negotiate w/ the seller.

man, $8 is cheap, most people are trying to get $13-15US for basic airmail (priority mail or whatever its called). i just refuse to bid on cards with that kind of postage. if i desperately want the card ill try and negotiate w/ the seller.

Yeah $13-$15 for priority which costs $11. First Class International costs $1-$3. EMS $25 and Registered First Class International + $10.15.

Here are the pricces I was quoted yesterday by a seller for shipping. I always ask first if they dont respond I dont buy.....

Globel express shipping 1-3 days $63.45 (I can spell Global that is his error)
Express Mail shipping 5 days $32.00
Priority Mail shipping 6-9 days $25.25
First Class Mail deleivery time varies $15.90

I got so annoyed about it I added a log of TRUE Log of postal charges on my website....I refer ebay sellers to this log when I am negotiating shipping charges

http://www.roysautos.com/Frontpage webpage/TRADE honest traders.htm

Have a look let me know if you think it is a good idea....

Owen

I think $8 for a single card is outrageous. It would only cost about $.90-$1.80 to send a single card 1st class international. I live in the USA and I uselly charge $1.50- $2 more than what it costs to send the card just to cover the Paypal and Ebay fees.

I usually pay about US$3.50 for postage although I payed $8 yesterday for an Okafor RC Auto ref. for my PC, to be sent here which is $1 more than I paid for the card.
It does annoy you when the card turns up with a $1.80 stamp but I never buy without asking and If they don't respond then I don't buy.

Yeah, $5 for Airmail is generally my max. If they don't quote a price, nowadays I ask.

But yeah, I've heard that excuse about lining up at the PO many times, and I usually get the fact that they had to drive to the PO, and the cost of Petrol too.

So let me get this??? If I go to the supermarket and stand in line for a fair while my docket at the end should say negative -$12 for handling/waiting fee?? Thats good eating!

If you sell and ship internationally then you are AGREEING that you will sometimes have to use the post office and its part of your service and helps you make MORE money from MORE bids! There is the fees covered there!

After all can I rebill the seller when it gets here coz I have to stand in line just to pick it up because he shipped it???

Well, if we have enough box breakers and resellers on ebay australia, we will never have these issues... that's what i thought...

last 12 months, i think i paid more than 30 transactions, 99 cent card with US$5 or more postage... LOL

I also find it funny how if they're going to send via First Class International, they'll do the cost + $2, but by the more expensive methods they'll charge you cost and that's it...never worked that out :blink:

Back
Top Bottom