Official NBL 2013/14 Season Thread

It is sad to see Bevo and Lisch go, but at the same time, it is time for a bit of a change.

Bevo had done all he could really and Lisch is fairly easily replaceable.

Boring? 3 Grand Finals in 4 years isn't what I call boring.

With that being said, it would be good to see the team playing a different style next season. Bevo was a defensive oriented coach and it would be a nice change to see a run and gun style like Cal Bruton used to run.

I havnt watched the NBL for a few years, last game was New years eve game in Cairns watching Catalini tear the crocs to shreds gosh that was a few years back now.

This season looks promising looks like ive got to get back into it

With that being said, it would be good to see the team playing a different style next season. Bevo was a defensive oriented coach and it would be a nice change to see a run and gun style like Cal Bruton used to run.

Yeah just my opinion, NZ have been fun to watch.. yeh they need a shake up dif style be good such as a more uptempo game.

Decent signing for the Crocs. Any word on Luke Neville staying? They are a much better team with him.

Shame about Bevo leaving the Wildcats. Who is going to challenge NZ now??

Who is going to challenge NZ now??

Perth, Wollongong, Adelaide, maybe even Cairns or Sydney, who knows.

Losing Bevo isn't necessarily going to cause Perth to go backwards. They may get a better coach and there is plenty of better imports around than Lisch.

NZ lost their coach too and if they don't get Cedric Jackson back, they may not be as good, while Adelaide should be alot better with Joey Wright coming in and Sydney has added a couple of good players. Let's also not forget Wollongong were right up there with NZ and Perth until they lost 3 starters to season ending injuries.

Losing Bevo isn't necessarily going to cause Perth to go backwards. They may get a better coach and there is plenty of better imports around than Lisch.

NZ lost their coach too and if they don't get Cedric Jackson back, they may not be as good, while Adelaide should be alot better with Joey Wright coming in and Sydney has added a couple of good players. Let's also not forget Wollongong were right up there with NZ and Perth until they lost 3 starters to season ending injuries.

Adelaide are looking to be a very good team (same as they were on paper this year), and Sydney have added some depth. Definitely think think NZ will not win this year.
Perth will make finals because they always do (14 out last 15 years? or something crazy)

Shame that Gibbo stayed in Adelaide with all the Gold Coast Blaze boys - would have been a nice combo with him and Worthington at the Tigers this year.

Someone needs to sign Seth Scott!

I agree with almost everything your saying. However, I am not sure that I was watching the same Wildcats games as you were. The Wildcats led the league in shot attempts per game, so I would have thought that "run and gun" would be a great way to describe the way the Wildcats played LAST season. Whilst Bevo was definitely a believer in the defense, he was also a highly skilled offensive coach as well, giving his players huge confidence to put the shots up, especially from the 3-PT line.

Losing both Bevo and Lisch will surely have an impact on how we play next year, but if we add an import of the tall athletic SG variety, look out league, or more presicely, look out New Zealand Breakers.

I agree with almost everything your saying. However, I am not sure that I was watching the same Wildcats games as you were. The Wildcats led the league in shot attempts per game, so I would have thought that "run and gun" would be a great way to describe the way the Wildcats played LAST season. Whilst Bevo was definitely a believer in the defense, he was also a highly skilled offensive coach as well, giving his players huge confidence to put the shots up, especially from the 3-PT line.

Losing both Bevo and Lisch will surely have an impact on how we play next year, but if we add an import of the tall athletic SG variety, look out league, or more presicely, look out New Zealand Breakers.

Yep fair call, you are correct there mate. I guess I would like to see a slight difference in instead of jacking shots up whenever you are half open, they run every chance and take the ball to the hole.

Losing Lisch hurts, but Redhage might return to the scoring machine he once was and as you say, if we end up with a taller gun SG import, it could be the missing peice to the puzzle.

Definitely agree with this, Jackson was awesome (as most League MVP's are) while others on the team are starting to show signs of age (Bruton, Boucher etc), so if NZ have to shuffle their roster around as much as Wildcats do, next years Champion's may come from any one of a number of other teams. Which is definitely a good thing for the league.

The Wildcats got royally screwed by the NBL point system this year with 5 players being classed with 10 point value's and Wagstaff a 9. However the breakers from memory have just 2 worth 10 points and CJ was worth just 7 points ??? Not sure if they saw how much damage he did in the last couple of grand finals but I guess the NBL head people were watching a different game. I am also Not sure how they worked that out when it is meant to level the playing field

As for Perth losing Bev and Lisch, it is probably about time in my opinion. There were too many games last season when Bev would not call a time out early enough with opposing teams going on hot streaks and sometimes he would sub out all of the wildcats consistent scorers in the middle of games which let the other teams get back into the game far too early. He also did not seem to use players enough in games when they played well ! Quite a few times Truman was playing well against teams but rarely got large minutes for some reason, however Bartlett who was shooting bricks for the last 2 months was still given a big role. His excessive ball handling and subsequent turnovers drove me insane last year :blink:
Lisch was a great player but one thing every ball club needs is someone who can dish the ball. Flashy crossover moves are nice but obviously do not win titles

The Wildcats got royally screwed by the NBL point system this year with 5 players being classed with 10 point value's and Wagstaff a 9. However the breakers from memory have just 2 worth 10 points and CJ was worth just 7 points ??? Not sure if they saw how much damage he did in the last couple of grand finals but I guess the NBL head people were watching a different game. I am also Not sure how they worked that out when it is meant to level the playing field

The Cats have Martin, Lisch, Knight and Redhage as 10's and Martin only counts as a 9 this season because he is still on contract.

The Breakers Jackson and Abercrombie as 10's and Vukona and Pledger as 9's. You could argue Vukona should be a 10, but 9 is close enough. Bruton and Corletto being 7's is a joke though.

The points system itself is a bit of a joke, but if you count up the main 10 from the Cats, they are on 76 points and NZ are on 79.

The Cats have Martin, Lisch, Knight and Redhage as 10's and Martin only counts as a 9 this season because he is still on contract.

The Breakers Jackson and Abercrombie as 10's and Vukona and Pledger as 9's. You could argue Vukona should be a 10, but 9 is close enough. Bruton and Corletto being 7's is a joke though.

The points system itself is a bit of a joke, but if you count up the main 10 from the Cats, they are on 76 points and NZ are on 79.

Lisch was also a 10

Here is the list - http://nblclubstatic.s3.amazonaws.com/2012-13 Initial points rankings 8-4-13 by team.pdf

New Zealand
ALEX PLEDGER 9
CEDRIC JACKSON 10
CJ BRUTON 7
COREY WEBSTER 7
DARYL CORLETTO 8
THOMAS ABERCROMBIE 10
WILL HUDSON 9
LEON HENRY 6
MIKA VUKONA 9
MORGAN NATANAHIRA Dev
REUBEN TERANGI Dev