NRL Rumour Mill Thread (Spoilers/Game Results)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this part of the investigation revolves more about the player agents/officials.

The Parramatta rugby league side has served its punishment in regards to the salary cap issues in 2016.

I think it would be a bit like a double jeopardy if they were to punish us again

Last edited:
I'd like to know, now that the insurance has knocked back Watmough, the money he is being paid (or being paid out), is that still going towards the cap?

And were, for the remainder of the season, Para still over the cap with that money?

And rumours are Choc's said he's turning up for pre-season ready to play. Interesting times.

From my understanding the NRL has already said that the $$$ of Chocs aint coming out of our cap going forward but Parra will have to pay that outside their cap (and if they were isn't there a salary cap allowance that takes into account players that sustain a low term injury??). As im sure that allowance could of applied to Watmough for the 2016 season having not played a single game.

I thought that Watmough said that he will rock up in 2018 to play, I highly doubt that he would be able to make it through a pre-season training that BA would put them through if he is serious about coming back to play after more then 2 years since he played his last NRL game.

Will be interesting to see this Parra side with a point to prove in 2017, fingers crossed we remain relatively injury free and can play footy in September. The roster strength is still fairly strong after this salary cap mess we have went through and players seem to want to hang around.

Thought this might flush you out. ;)

I don't remember any forfeits last season...... so technically all teams turned up to play. :)

It will probably be like the Storm saga, with players saying "Oh I thought the boat, caravan and shopping vouchers for my girlfriend that just turned up where part of my contract" and the NRL then doing nothing........again.
Don't know the full details of the Parramatta saga but with the Storm it related to "third party payments".

eg player was told if they play for the Storm they will get a $400,000 contract with the Storm and this third party (sponsor) would pay them $200,000. When in effect it was the Storm paying the full $600,000. Which is why no players were found guilty and it was able to be kept hidden for so long.

I'd like to know, now that the insurance has knocked back Watmough, the money he is being paid (or being paid out), is that still going towards the cap?

And were, for the remainder of the season, Para still over the cap with that money?

And rumours are Choc's said he's turning up for pre-season ready to play. Interesting times.
Will be interesting if Watmough turns up ready to play. As my understanding was that he cold be paid out outside the cap because he retired. While some players make comebacks from retirement when a concession if given make things very messy.

I think every club rorts the cap in someway, some clubs just disguise it better. With the teams that made a strong resurgence to the 8 this year and the former powerhouses who missed out the cap must be working to some extent.

I would still like to see discounts for juniors and one club players. For example, if you are a club junior and you play 100 games for that club 10% from the cap and so on.

The game could get another black eye though if they register Benji to Brisbane on 100k and put Dave Taylor's market value at 300k

Every time a Farah/Stewart/Watmough/etc. changes clubs for one last contract, I wonder why there is no serious allowance for long serving players.
If it was up to me, there would be a 20% discount each year after 5 years of first grade (after the first season of 10+ games for e.g.), so after ten years, a player would be salary cap-exempt.
This would promote loyalty as it is more 'expensive' for clubs to swap new players into the squad at the expense of longer serving players.

Am I missing something? I imagine that there could be resistance from less-wealthy clubs? Or maybe every club admin prefers the option of the 'salary cap' as an excuse to force players out...

It's quite disgraceful that the premiers had one local junior in their side that won the Comp this year and he was allowed to go to another club for a couple of years.

No dis-credit to the Sharks, it's just the state of the game atm

I don't think many clubs have juniors any more.

How many U20 actually matriculated to first grade at same club, or went elsewhere?

The whole junior thing is a nostalgic memory. One club players a step behind.

It's a job. Pure and simple. Once you get past that, footy is more enjoyable.

There has been talk since Richardson did his Pathways report and now seemingly supported by Canavan that a transfer fee may be introduced for juniors from 2018 onwards.

The way I recall reading it is with the end of the NYC next year that all juniors will be paid a generic contract and if I have signed for the Dragons as a junior and then play senior footy there will be a salary cap concession.

What this all means is when the Roosters decide they want to poach me they will need to pay the Dragons a development fee of I think it was $50k. This added with the salary cap concession means the Roosters will be paying a lot more for me than a club that develops juniors.

There will still be some poaching of course because I am a gun so clubs would be willing to pay anything to have me but you couldn't possibly poach 6 or more players as this would mean the club would be blowing there salary cap as they wouldn't ever get the development salary cap concession.

In theory I remember thinking it sounded like it would be very positive because league is tribal and we all want to keep our young stars and established stars as one club players.

Did any of that make sense? It does in my head.

Ross

Last edited:
It is being reported that Benji and his manager are apparently in Brisbane to sign the one year deal after flying up there this morning.
I have met Benji outside of football a few times and i personally think he is a great guy and he will be a huge asset for the Broncos come mid season. Welcome aboard the Bronco express Benji and i hope you win your 2nd premiership in 2017, K.

I have met Benji outside of football a few times and i personally think he is a great guy and he will be a huge asset for the Broncos come mid season. Welcome aboard the Bronco express Benji and i hope you win your 2nd premiership in 2017, K.

Benji is worth more than what the Broncos are rumoured to be paying him off the field alone, he will sell the equivalent in merchandise, he is awesome with the fans, there is no chance he will be a dickhead, he will have the sponsors logos on TV all the time.

I am disappointed he didn't fire this year and sorry he didn't think $300k was a fair offer earlier on in the season.

Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom