New guy: Vintage hoops :)

Yes Chad, you are absolutely correct. I think it has to do with the limited number of sets/cards us basketball guys have available to us pre-1980. Could explain the psychotic demand for sock wrappers and postcards of early 1900's girls just holding a ball. There was a Comspec auction last week for 17 of the cards with all the stars....HONDO, Chamberlain, Jabbar, Robertson, Maravich, except for the West. It went for over $3000. Some of you might want to save the pictures from the auction for reference...i did. The Jabbar is the only one I own.

yeah a bit rich but if I could of I would of bought them and kept the Hondo flipping the rest in single auctions. Would of done alright out of that as well too but you need the $'s to do such things.

And spot on. When people like Pistol and Kareem only have so many cardboard examples from their actual playing days one more and limited doesn't hurt but todays players have 100's each year alone.

For the record collecting girls holding what they THINK is a basketball is seperate to the card hobby. That goes for stand up cards too. The first IMO are the murad release.

I just discovered this site. You can't have enough folks to chat about cards.
I'm a psa junkie and am working on completing all of the basketball cards from 1969 to 1981 in graded form (about 73% complete). My jabbar master set is the most complete of those on the registry. I've got a few more carvel discs to get and i'll have all the discs completed (MSA, Crane, Buckman, Carvel). Completed the Jewel/Prism and the Icee Bears. I also am always looking for oddball stuff from the early years of basketball history.

Hope to get to know you all better.:)

Don
Dhjacks (ebay name and psa name)

Welcome aboard dude :)

fyi...
A murad is a cigarette issue. 4 of the colleges depicted from the set feature basketball. From about 1910.
scan0006.jpg

scan0016.jpg

ETA - Chad doesn't like the 'girl' cards just cuz there are no Celtics.

I just got all four Murads back from psa a while ago Don :-D

Dissapointed that psa knocked one back to a ST with the stamping some came out with in the first place :-(

Back
Top Bottom