My little rant on Aussie soccer and journalists...

axeman23

OzCardTrader
Ok, after reading the paper today, I've finally had enough of the bagging of Viduka and Kewell. [-X It's been happening for years, and for the most part it's been baseless and sometimes criminally stupid stuff. They're unpatriotic for not travelling halfway around the world to beat Tahiti 20 to nil, they're soft for not playing through potentially career threatening injuries, they're lazy, etc... Most of it is absolute CRAP, too!!! I mean, if your club is threatening to void your contract which could set you up for life, and your national team is gonna win 10-zip without you, what's the issue? I mean, it may be a bit less of an issue if the tight-arses who have been running Aussie teams and leagues were willing to shell out offers that don't down-right insult the players, coz if they did open their wallets a bit further, the players could be based locally and the travel/club issues would be null and void! I mean, is it really the players fault if he decides not to play for one-hundredth of what he could earn? There's a difference between loyalty and plain stupidity, and the Euro based players aren't stupid!

And now they bloody journo's are complaining about their form. I'm looking at a Sun-Herald lift-out naming the players, and a bit on their roles, etc. Next to Viduka's name: "Viduka is an enigma, one day brilliant, the next UNINTERESTED. He worked hard against Japan and showed flashes of brilliance. But when will he score?" Honestly, has this goose WATCHED a game, or is he a stat-jockey? I'm tired of people saying, "He's a strker, he has to get goals!" Yeah, forget the fact that he sets up the mid-field for half of their attacking runs, clowns, he didn't get the goal himself so he's not doing his job... PATHETIC! And then they talk about Kewell not being a superstar in the team. Sure, he hasn't got all the goals/assists that we have come to expect from him, but if he got guarded any closer for the majority of the Japan game, his defender would've been asked to leave the field and get a room with him later! Same with Viduka, the defence collapses on him, usually at least a double team, so he passes . What do they want him to do? Shoot from outside the box with 3 players on him?

Don't get me wrong, Cahill is playing great, among others, but I get the feeling some journo's have had this stored up for a while and just waiting for Duke and Kewell to be outshone in a game so they can rag on them... Anyway, end of rant, and GO THE ROOS tonight! I'll be up for the 3 games tonight, so reckon a sickie might be in order for the morning... :p lol

kewell is overated and i seriously think he dont like playin for australia he only seems to turn up when its a really big game or a friendly in europe

he always seems to have some nagging injury when it is time to play for his country yet seems to get over it a week later and he speaks with a half aussie english accent and that just shits me

Well I think Kewell played pretty average or less than average last game against Japan. Those 2, being the supposably, best 2 players for us Aussie, they will expect high expectations on all games, especially the World Cup. Viduka played well though when they played against Japan but I have to agree with the journalist, he is not CONSISTENT enough. If he was to run forward and set up strikers, perhaps he should be a midfielder???

Without Cahill or Aloisi getting in the scoresheet, did you see Viduka or Kewell? I must admit, I haven't followed Aussie football when they play International games, but when was the last two (Kewell & Viduka) getting in the scoresheet or at least, got labelled MOM?

Can you understand the criticism on Ronaldo have received recently? Well you know, never mind recently, how about his whole season with Real Madrid? He is a striker / forward and his job is to get goals. If you can understand Ronaldo's criticism, then you must know where the journalist came from when they bag Viduka. I'm sure back in Serbia Montenegro, Kezman is having quite a cricism as well because he is a superb club player. Thierry Henry was heavily criticised on the last World Cup 2002 for failing to score. (France failed to get a goal on that World Cup)

In all fairness though, Viduka is totally a different player to Aloisi. He does not have the tendency to move forward and score goal, break the defense of the other team, like Aloisi did against Japan.

But hey, if he bags a goal or two against Brazil or Croats, expect some praises by the journalists because at the moment, it is hard to praise them, IMO.

In regards to Harry Kewell, ever since his surgery on his foot and a lengthy time-off, I can see that he has been performing at best; average for Oz and Liverpool. I can say that because I've been a follower of English Premier League and he hasn't impressed much at Liverpool.

Good luck though boys for tonight match against Brazil. I hope Kewell and Viduka can step up when Australia needs them.

Cheers~

I think the criticisms of Viduka is fair but not fair on Kewell...

Viduka is supposed to be a striker - once one of the best net getters in the SPL for Celtics... Although I do agree that he does provide the groundwork for the midfielders to score but I would expect him to score the occassional goal? One or two goals in a bunch of games isn't asking too much is it?

As for Kewell - he has been plagued by injuries. I think we will see him get better as the tournament progresses. I have a feeling that we will see his best if we make it out of the group stages.
Does anyone remember the time where he was our only attack threat?
Against Uruguay when we lost 3-0 on their soil, Kewell was the only guy giving their goalie hell. Also during that win against England, he totally beat Sol Campbell one on one and rammed home a really important goal. He is a class act... if he wasn't Liverpool would have shipped him out long ago! Liverpool is being really patient cos they know he is a class player...

I gotta say I love Viduka even though his goal drought puzzles me! :)

C'mon Boys lets shock Brazil...

bagging viduka WTF!!!!!!!!!

he's playing as a lone striker. he has noone else to play off. he has to set himself up. he's scored only 6 goals in 30 odd games but how many others has he set up for his midfielders. when you have 2 or three defenders on you as soon as you get the ball its very hard to score yourself.

kewell has had a run of injuries yes even if it has coincided when he's up for international duty. he's had injuries all last season and this one just finished. sure it may coincide with his international apperances but id rather have him in my team than my oppisition

ducky_poo said:
bagging viduka WTF!!!!!!!!!

he's playing as a lone striker. he has noone else to play off. he has to set himself up. he's scored only 6 goals in 30 odd games but how many others has he set up for his midfielders. when you have 2 or three defenders on you as soon as you get the ball its very hard to score yourself.

kewell has had a run of injuries yes even if it has coincided when he's up for international duty. he's had injuries all last season and this one just finished. sure it may coincide with his international apperances but id rather have him in my team than my oppisition

Viduka playing as a lone striker cannot be used as an excuse as his club form in front of goal is OK, not enough for a praise and getting a contract raise. With Australia, he has Kewell as his back-up up front, right behind Viduka. Besides, they're criticising his other International games as well, not only the game against Japan.

But in my opinion, Viduka is the best striker Australia have got in the line-up and his captaincy has certainly MASSIVELY influent the Australia team as they haven't loss a match with Viduka being offered as the new captain for Australia.

As a comparison of lone striker playing up-front team, Samuel Eto'o plays as a lone striker with Ronaldinho as his back-up up-front anchor. (Attacking Mid as a precise position) but yeah, what's Eto'o's goal scoring tally gain this year??

But yes, criticism against Kewell was quite harsh with his tough injuries in the past and probably still recovering.

One must see that sometimes, criticisms are what players need to get back in form. I've seen that happen many times so I'm sure Viduka will play his heart out tomorrow morning.

I've once been critical of harry, but you just have to see how hard he has worked to be fit for the world cup to understand he is committed to his country and very righty so. He was playing out of position against japan and it showed, as soon as he moved to the left he became much more effective.

As for dukes, i agree with ducky in saying although he doesnt score as much as he does in the EPL he is, in my opinon one of the most influential players on the park. Often he is the lone striker and has his back to 4 defenders, waiting for his midfielders to come. He is a tower of strength in my opinion and if we had better service from more quality midfielders like etoo does for barca, then he would be rattling in the goals.

Just my 2 cents :)

First of can I say Ducky you nailed it!!
Dukes and Harry are our most famous players world wide there for they draw all the attention for defenders so they are marked men the whole game. Bagging them for not scoring a goal each every game is and un educated statement.
If you go back a look at their last couple of games you will find that
they are both doubled an awful lot and being unselfish players they give up the ball to the free man for them to score.

Even the great Maradona struggled in his first wc as he was a marked man.
Didn't score until like the semi's I think. And this is MARADONA we are taliking about. There has only been 3 world class goal scores live up to the expectations so far in the WC- KLOSE, CRESPO and DELGARDO

One of the following players are expected to win the golden shoe.
Miroslav Klose (GER) 2
Michael Owen (ENG) 0
Ruud van Nistelrooij (NED) 1
Ali Karimi (IRN) 0
Luca Toni (ITA) 0
Ronaldinho (BRA) 0
Thierry Henry (FRA) 0
Andriy Shevchenko (UKR) 0
Why write off Mark after 1 game when most of the best strikers in the world can't after 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The main reason the papers bag them is they own the AFL and RL comps. They don't want footbal to succeed in this country so the only media they give is negative. Like right now I can't believe the footy shows are on now in Germany jumping on the bandwagon, when they have openly stated how happy they were every time Australia failed to make the WC.

Fishy are you English cause it seems like you don't like any Aussie players or the team for that matter?:p :p

Dream34 said:
The main reason the papers bag them is they own the AFL and RL comps. They don't want footbal to succeed in this country so the only media they give is negative. Like right now I can't believe the footy shows are on now in Germany jumping on the bandwagon, when they have openly stated how happy they were every time Australia failed to make the WC.

That's a fair enough statement and we can settle this topic with that.

However, I do not understand the reasoning you guys are using, as to why Viduka cannot score, is because he is well man-marked the whole game.

Isn't every striker(s) is/are well man-marked during games? Any explanation why Klose has 2 goals next to his name? Is he super-human that he can score 2 goals while man-marked the whole game? I know it is still early days but we are not talking about this World Cup. We are talking about his goal scoring form as a whole.

From where I stand, all strikers have a tough job but to defend a striker because he is well man-marked the whole game is ludicrous.

henkita217 said:
However, I do not understand the reasoning you guys are using, as to why Viduka cannot score, is because he is well man-marked the whole game.

Isn't every striker(s) is/are well man-marked during games? Any explanation why Klose has 2 goals next to his name? Is he super-human that he can score 2 goals while man-marked the whole game?

From where I stand, all strikers have a tough job but to defend a striker because he is well man-marked the whole game is ludicrous.

You are not wrong there henkita, but strikers cant do it alone and they often need service from classy midfielders, in germany's case Ballack, Sweinstieger (spelling), Frings. etc. To be fair to the socceroos, Kewell is our only world class player. Bresciano is solid and so is Cahill but I would hardly put them into the top catagory of midfielders.

Another reason I can think of for Dukes struggle is that he is used to sharing the strikers role with someone, this is not the case when he plays for Australia.

I can understand your point completely the_pie. As I said earlier, IMO, Viduka isn't the type of player who takes it up there by himself, unlike Aloisi, Henry, Adriano etc, so yes, he does need help from the midfields to create chance or even score on behalf of Viduka. Your point makes more sense than the man-marked one.

Let's hope we will do well for the rest of the World Cup and I hope Kewell will play well and find form for the remaining 2 games.

Enjoy the game. ;)

Will do mate and I'm sure we arent the only one's hoping for a cracker of a game this evening, we'll need everyone to fire up for it and hopefully the fitness work our boys have been doing will pay off against the brazillians who could be tired from their long season ;)

Go You Aussies! :cool:

The reason is pretty basic, Australia don't have many world class players maybe 2 but kewell isnt in his 100% form yet.
Therefore the opposition only have to worry about these two players and can afford to have two players to float around them.
No doubt about it Mark will have a hard time at these WC game and I doubt he'll score a goal let alone two(hopefully he can prove me wrong), thats were smaller known players have to step up.
Germany have 4-5 world class players in attack which means you can't double down on all players. Klose dominated in there first match but was under heavy defensive pressure in the second and hardly got going. Obviously the Polish took note of what he did against Costa Rica.
Obviously you can't focus on one player from brasil as they have so many superstars so teams have more trouble slowing them down. You focus on Ronaldo and Adriano has a field day.

Do you see my point now.

Dream,

Viduka has 34 caps with 6 goals. What does that say to you? Does this stat represent quite an impressive number to you? Ali Karimi would have been sacked by now, if that is his goalscoring stats.

And how's this for a stat, as a midfielder, can you believe Kewell have scored the same amount of goals, as Viduka?

It is an un-educated thoughts if you think that the opposition teams will only concentrate on marking Viduka and Kewell all day long and leaving the other Socceroos in a free-role position. I know I wouldn't double team Viduka, as I said earlier, he isn't the type of player who will run up from the mid-field area, break the ankles of 2-3 defenders and show how hoe-ish the goalie really is by "nutty"ing his shot.

I think you may be under-estimating or putting down the Australian team now because I classify Cahill, Bresciano, Emerton, Aloisi, Neill, Skoko, Culina and probably many others as World Class on top of Viduka & Kewell.

Anyway, how about a question for you to end all this:

Tell me one country team that has a leading goal scorer for their country, in a consistent basis, that is isn't a striker?

**CONSISTENT BASIS: As in for a number of years or overall, not just in one competition.**

The purpose of that question is, to show you what a striker's role is. 34 caps and scoring 6 goals is hardly classify as a striker's stats and I find it hard to believe that you can defend that due to tight-marking by oppositions. If he finishes his International career with 60 caps and 10 goals, would you still consider that as a great stats for a striker?

Good luck to the 'Roos. I'm off now to watch the World Cup. Japan or Croats? I'm undecided. :p

Hen, the original question was about the negitivity towards Mark and Harry.
I'm not saying that Mark is in top form as I know he's had a massive dry patch, but it's obvious that MArk and Harry cop more attention from defenders than the rest of the forwards and attacking midfielders.
I'm not saying that the others are shit, but they are certainly not world class. Otherwise they would be playing for one of the top 4 teams in europe
being paid three times as much as they are now.

To your statment that he isn't the type of player who will run up from the mid-field area, break the ankles of 2-3 defenders and show how hoe-ish the goalie really is by "nutty"ing his shot
You'll never see Mark doing this as he a player who receives the ball with his back to the goal, and playes from there. He rarely makes diagonal runs as thats not his style.

Here is your answer
RONALDINHO
Caps:*64* Goals:*27

The purpose of that question is, to show you what a striker's role is
don't worry mate I know what a strikers role is as I have played for QLD as a striker.

Anyway- hopefully the second half stays a draw in the jpn/cro match

Back
Top Bottom