UFC MMA Discussion (spoilers)

yea I really think Silva will retire after all he is 38 and know with a broken leg which will keep him out for at least a year no point in coming back :(

The really sad thing about this is that most people, I think, were expecting a re-focused, re-invigorated Anderson Silva to come out of this battle. The cockiness cost him the belt, and (in a nasty twist of fate) training hard and re-dedicating himself to his craft has probably cost him his ability to fight again. Whether you were a fan or not, it's a pretty cruel ending for someone who has given so much of his life to the sport.

i steere'd clear of the thread and any spoilers yesterday as i only got a chance to watch the fights this morning. absolutely shattered for silva. and what a shit way for weidmann to retain it as well.

i wish someone whould wreck rousey, i absolutely hate the bitch. if tate vs rousey 3 were to ever happen i would hope tate would avoid taking her down. everytime she tried, rousey used her massive childbirth hips and judo technique to throw her over and take her down, couldnt see what meisha gained out of that. and standing up meisha definitely had the upperhand in the exchanges i thought.

also getting sick of that bloody armbar, its mixed martial arts rousey, mix it up.

travis browne's post fight interview was hilarious, i dunno why i thought he would win though and glad he did.

saw the Hall and leben fight too, im not sure how hall hasnt taken off further, i think that wheel kick knockout in TUF did him more worse than good, like Dana White said, it changed him, he lost that killer instinct, was scared that he was going to hurt people. if he gets in the right headspace he could be a freak...

I must be the only bloke on here that likes Ronda?

You are right about one thing @GiRDS- I thought Tate had a the upper hand with the toe to toe exchanges.

BUT why change a winning formula with the arm bars? The stupid part was Tate (and everone else) knew that Rousey was gonna try and arm bar her and Tate played right into her "massive childbirth hips and judo technique" :).

It's up to the opponent to take out Rousey. I was impressed with her and looking forward to her next match in such a short turn around.

(edit:I buggered the quote up)

I love Rhonda. Tate is extremely overrated and if not for Rousey would never get a mention.

Some of us have been following WMMA before Dana developed a high school crush for Rousey and gifted her a title without fighting for it. ;)

Tate's held titles with two different organisations, she's won silver at the FILA World grappling championships, before Ronda she was the best 135lb woman in MMA, and as her fights show she is tough as nails and has a tonne of heart.

And she just took Ronda deeper into a fight than anyone Ronda has faced before.

Overrated, is harsh.

Ronda is not just an Olympic level Judoka, she wasn't an alternate like Randy Couture or finished 7th like Mark Coleman, she finished second best in the world.

Tate's not overrated, Ronda is just really really good.

And while McMann will probably be her toughest test when it comes to grappling, Womens Olympic Judo is a lot deeper and has a longer history than Womens Olympic Wrestling.

Last edited:
I don't think Dana's decision for Rousey to fight for the initial title was based on a "crush". More like his crush on $$$$. And I think he made the right choice for UFC.
Rousey is (so far) the most marketable women's fighter in the UFC. You could have originally based that on looks but she has backed it up in the cage.

I understand what you're saying. Perhaps, she hadn't earned the right to fight for the title but Dana has history of doing similar things. He does what will create $$$$ for the UFC and it has.

If you love her or hate her, either way you are going to watch it to see her get pulverised or watch her break another chicks arm! And I'm still waiting for a boob to pop out during a fight ;). It's a bit like Tito for me, I hate the bloke but I watched all his fights to see him get beat up.

Tate is not overrated. I hope she continues on and does some great things. I love her stand up game. And I have heaps of her cards too :thumbsup:. As @Lazlow said Ronda is really good.

I don't think Dana's decision for Rousey to fight for the initial title was based on a "crush".

I was being a little facetious. :D

She didn't fight for the title, the belt was presented to her at press conference, where her Strikeforce belt was replaced with a UFC belt. So she went into her first UFC fight against Carmouche, as the belt holding champion already.

Same thing happened with Jose Aldo after the WEC buyout.

Dominick Cruz didn't get the same luxury. He fought Scott Jorgenson at the last WEC show for the new UFC belt.

People hold the UFC in such high regard, you'd like to see Champions crowned in the ring and not at a press conference.

But I guess I shouldn't complain, Tate just fought for the title without a UFC win. :cautious:

upload_2013-12-31_16-55-39.png

Man it'd be hilarious if it weren't so tragic

Cruz injured again, torn groin this time, and is out of UFC 169

Has vacated the Bantamweight title (or was it stripped :cautious:) so Barao has been elevated to champion and will defend against Faber.

EDIT:

Also there's an interview with GSP in french where he claims the UFC took his belt after the Hendricks fight while we was showering and changing.

"I'm taking my shower after the fight. I'm in my suit and tie, after that, they passed by, took the belt and they left with it, without even telling me. I have the belts I won before, but I don't have the one from my last fight."

Last edited:
And if anyone gives a toss Tito Ortiz was allegedly arrested in LA on suspicion of DUI.

Next TUF has BJ Penn and Frankie Edgar coaching? So BJ has come out of retirement to face Frankie one more time? =D>

Maybe 2014 will be a good year.

Also , I just watched One FC for the first time. Awesome fights!

Back
Top Bottom