mid 90's basketball cards...oil paintings?!

Coco

MVP! MVP! MVP!
Real Name
Coco
eBay User
wildbull1984
ages go a kid from down the street showed me an awesome card, a type i had never seen before.

it was an oil based type of card, and if you touched it, your fingerprints would definitely be seen.

all i remember about the card was that it wasnt a colourful one, it had a star player for the time, and i think it was an upmarket brand.

can anyone possibly solve this mystery?

Are you perhaps thinking of those "heat" based cards where you touched it to heat it up to show some stats or something. Wasn't an oil-painting card at all lol..... but, just a card with a few large dots on it you could touch.

This is the only "oil painting" looking card I can remember ...

199900_granthill_toppsgallery_heritageartistsproofauto_psa9.jpg

There was some around 91-92 that were like a painting/sketch card that I remember but it didn't leave fingerprints on them. Will have to look around

hmm, not exactly...i mean this card was designed in an artistic way, but it was based on some sort of delicate oil paint, that if you were to touch it, it would leave a fingerprint on it, which is why the kid that showed it to me wouldnt let me touch it at all, but i remember it clear as day that it was one hell of a card.

i think it was a mid to late 90s card, not early 90s.

could have been topps finest? or flair? or skybox?

Could it be from this set ? /94 Ted Williams "the Gallery"
100_6221.jpg

They do have a textured finish & slightly glossy similar to a oil finish.They were #/ed on the back aswell.I have never seen these in anyones collection/trade buckets.Does anyone else have these cards ? I don't know about the base from this but i do have 2 other insert sets from this set & they have a textured finish aswell but the player is actual game photo.
Heres a pic of the back of them,
100_6222.jpg

Never seen one of those,Thats a sweet looking card Graham :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, its one of my favourites.

Its a 1999/2000 Topps Gallery Heritage Artists Proof Auto ..

This is the story behind it :

Certain to get a lot of attention will be Topps Heritage cards, an insert set of 10 players (including Jason Williams, Grant Hill, Shaquille O'Neal and Allen Iverson), done in original art, and presented to capture the look of the classic 1956-57 Topps basketball cards, Topps' first entry into the basketball market. Tied to this insert set will be a Gallery Auction, in which collectors, earning points found on special cards in each pack, can win the original art used in the creation of this set, as well as the printing plates used in its creation. In addition, the top 175 non-winning bids will receive a signed Artist's Proof set, with each card signed by Bill Purdom, the artist, whose work is showcased on the cards.
This card is from one of those 175 non winning bids set that was split up!

Back
Top Bottom