Legacy 2023

It was an incredibly lazy release that screams a combination of 'we've run out of ideas' and 'we know people would buy Copley taking a dump in a box at this point'.

Personally I feel like with the scratching of Prestige, the six month gap between releases, the mind boggling production issues and overall meh of Gem, and a lazy and unoriginal series two, this has been Select's worst year for a long, long time.
Copley taking a dump line lol very humorous and quite possibly true too.Where do I purchase such a card? Two coloured signed variants i assume.

My 2c... (I've written this 3 or 4 times now trying to make it shorter, but I give up!)

I does feel like there's a hole in Select's line up. The gap between Footy Stars and Legacy seem much much bigger than the gap between Champions and Honours 1 (the last time I bought a box of series 2).

Add to that the distribution was awful. Zero chance of picking up box unless you were camped on your computer at the moment they were available online. Half the retailers listed by Select have next to no info their websites. I think this aspect is what put me off the most.

It all feels very closed off and inaccessible. Which isn't great for growing the hobby.

The thing I find fascinating though is Honours 1 had a production of 9600 boxes, Legacy had a run of 8400 boxes. 800 cases vs 700 cases. Yet Legacy was absolutely gobbled up, at $340 a box, compared to $210 for Honours 1 (about $252 in today's money).

So maybe its purely my perception based on how inactive OCT is. Maybe the hobby is thriving. Where is everyone?

As for Select, if it were up to me I'd take the more premium elements of Legacy (multi sigs, captain sigs, ultra short prints) and combine it with Gem (and bring in a game used patch or patch sig), and bring back a more traditional series 2, with draft sigs and 1 or 2 short print sets, with a case hit award winner (Brownlow, Norm Smith, MVP, Coleman, Rising Star) sig.

Ultimately set it up so you can have 3 prong line up; Basic @ $100-150, High End @ $200-300, and Premium at $300-400. And if you still want that Ultra Premium @ $500-1000 do it like The Cup or National Treasures in the US; single pack 5-10 cards, loaded with sigs and game used patches.

simpsons-leaving.gif

Yeah the gold will be a different player. Norm Smith and captain would be a useful system but I remember Lambert and rioli was 2017 so it could be a surprise.
Having said that ,there are now only 58 of these out there somewhere so enjoy the day,big result !!

All good im a Richmond supporter so happy with anyone who played well that day or throughout the year. I will now leave this thread to the others who were using it
to discuss legacy .

the win does add a little more spice to the Moore Captain sigh..
Captain sigh in a premiership winning year.
correct me if wrong, only been done twice.. 01'- Voss / 19' Cotchin

*got to handle one of the MEDAL cards yesterday (daicos) they are a fantastic looking card and seam to be pulling a very tidy price on the secondary market (great numbering - not to many)
*suprised by the low price the PRIME DRAFT are selling for.
*the DAICOS SIGH is what it is - touch down select
*its the LEGACY cards that are the smash hit of the release - love the suprise hidden players.. in hand these cards look killer (#35 only is the sweet spot and will be put to bed in peoples collection very soon)

*got to handle one of the MEDAL cards yesterday (daicos) they are a fantastic looking card and seam to be pulling a very tidy price on the secondary market (great numbering - not to many)
*suprised by the low price the PRIME DRAFT are selling for.
*the DAICOS SIGH is what it is - touch down select
*its the LEGACY cards that are the smash hit of the release - love the suprise hidden players.. in hand these cards look killer (#35 only is the sweet spot and will be put to bed in peoples collection very soon)

For me Legacy Cards and prime draft are my favorites

DPS nice, though as noted previously having 3 tiers is one too many. I think this is evident by the price of Copper signatures on secondary market (despite being /175)

Other cards battling on secondary market are Cornerstone and prime draft (as you note and to my surprise also). Vortex holding up in some instances.

Higher end seems lower than usual, I think inflationary and interest rate pressures are kicking in

Higher end seems lower than usual, I think inflationary and interest rate pressures are kicking in
yep, agree with this when it comes to the higher end .
or it's just boys are being alot more selective in what they chase.
plenty of choices to be made by all..for this I'm very appreciative

For me Legacy Cards and prime draft are my favorites

DPS nice, though as noted previously having 3 tiers is one too many. I think this is evident by the price of Copper signatures on secondary market (despite being /175)

Other cards battling on secondary market are Cornerstone and prime draft (as you note and to my surprise also). Vortex holding up in some instances.

Mindset for me anyway is do I want the base signature or premium signature. The copper doesnt have its own place.

Back
Top Bottom