Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

jimboiitmac

miami pride
Real Name
King James
eBay User
jimboiitmac
Who was greater, two of the best PF's ever, both in the same era!

Charles Barkley

There are four players in NBA history that have compiled 20,000 points, 10,000 rebounds and 4,000 assists: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain, Karl Malone and Charles Barkley. But when the conversation turns to the exploits of Barkley, many people think first of the entertaining, sometimes outrageous commentary on basketball and life he provided. However, as a player he was the greatest anomaly in hoops history. Listed at 6-6, but probably actually closer to 6-4, he played power forward as well as anyone, often dominating players half a foot taller.

Career Stats: 1,073 games, 22.1 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 3.9 apg, 1.54 spg, 54% FG, 74% FT (23,757 points, 12,546 rebounds, 4,215 assists, 1,648 steals)

Achievements: Elected to Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (2006); NBA MVP (1993); All-NBA First Team (1988, '89, '90, '91, '93); All-NBA Second Team (1986, '97, '92, '94, '95); All-NBA Third Team (1996); 11-time All-Star; All-Star MVP ('91); One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History ('96); Olympic gold medalist (1992, '96).

Karl Malone:

Karl Malone is arguably the greatest power forward of all time. Built more like a tight end than a basketball player, his size and strength made him difficult to defend in the low block, but he also filled the lane on the fast break and shot a deadly medium-range jumper. The two-time MVP finished his career with 36, 928 points second only behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. He also attempted more free throws and grabbed more defensive rebounds than any player in NBA history. He was also selected to the 50th Anniversary All-Time Team and won two Olympic gold medals. As a player who consistently delivered on the court, he deserved the nickname of "The Mailman

Career Stats: 1,476 games, 25 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 3.6 apg, 1.41 spg, 52% FG, 74% FT

Achievements: NBA MVP (1997, '99); 11-time All-NBA First Team (1988-1999); All-NBA Second Team (1988, 2000); All-Defensive First Team (1997-99); All-Defensive Second Team (1988); 14-time All-Star (1988-98, 2000-02); NBA All-Rookie Team (1985); One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996); Two-time Olympic gold medalist (1992, '96).

I have to go with Charles , nothing against malone.

Charles played with a great intensity, out of position within terms of height,
but was a very strong player, remember the game where he picked up shaq.
that was quiet impressive. even though he only got to the finals once with the suns.

Both players without a ring due to one Michael Jordan , but Charles more of an entertainer than malone, more excitement and i think prob more talented, could hit the pull up, three, back down smaller or larger defender and a bit more skilled in terms of ball handling.

LoL Don't forget Malone did try to change his image by wrestling Rodman and Hunk Hogan.

Never really liked Malone. But i had to go with Malone based on consistency, while chuck gave up and retired Malone still played ball till age 40 and managed to average 20ppg.Charles wasn't a complete player due to average D, add to that he was on some loaded Sun's teams with KJ and thunder Dan so you couldn't say he was on a average side when compared to Malone.

Barkley by far!!!!

I never could stand Malone and don't think I ever will!

Barkley on the other hand, is one of the grittiest and hard working players the game has ever seen!!!

Not to mention he played the PF position and was only 6'6" (barely)

Hands down its Barkley in my opinion!

LoL Don't forget Malone did try to change his image by wrestling Rodman and Hunk Hogan.

Image is nothing, cash is everything... ;)

I can't split em, can't call it. If I had to I'd probably say Barkley. I couldn't stand Malone until he threw on the purple and gold. Only then did I appreciate his tallent, before that I was a pure hater.

Amazing what a difference of Jersey will do. :p

Barkley by far!!!!

I never could stand Malone and don't think I ever will!

Barkley on the other hand, is one of the grittiest and hard working players the game has ever seen!!!

Not to mention he played the PF position and was only 6'6" (barely)

Hands down its Barkley in my opinion!

Yeah that sums it up nicely for me as well. Throw in the personality and the sometimes awful (funny) comments he makes and he is one of my favourite players of all time.

Well, they're both great but looking at their individual skills, Sir Charles is way much better than Malone. Charles is just a beast for his size and do a lot of coast to coast which is really fun to watch.:thumbsup: He also shoots the 3. :D And I wonder if Malone would be as great as he was if he didnt have Stockton.

Never really liked Malone. But i had to go with Malone based on consistency, while chuck gave up and retired Malone still played ball till age 40 and managed to average 20ppg.Charles wasn't a complete player due to average D, add to that he was on some loaded Sun's teams with KJ and thunder Dan so you couldn't say he was on a average side when compared to Malone.

True, but IMO him going to the Lakers and not winning just tarnished his career, he should've ended it with the Jazz as did Stockton and Reggie with the Pacers for example.
(Although the same could be said for Charles going to Houston, but then since he didn't start out in Phoenix I suppose it's not as drastic).

KJ and Majerle were amazing but do they really add up to a John Stockton, plus Malone had great support players like Jeff Hornacek..

Anyway looks like everyones going on skills rather than skills + achievements I thought that Malone might get a few more votes due to having more MVPs than Barkley and taking Barkley's spot in the All-NBA 1st team a lot of those years..

But yeah truth be told I went with Barkley too.

I found both of their careers very comparable, in terms of what they did.

Malone was dominant offensiely but they he did feed of Stockton.

Barkley had a great team but didn't neccessarily feed off anyone.

In my mind Barkley had to be given the ups simply because he was so undersized, 6'6 and with that in mind he was a better rebounder than Malone and a beast on offense.

Back
Top Bottom