John Sattlers Grand Final Jersey on ebay and the newspaper

freeballs

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Craig
Wow, this guy has listed the jersey for 30K and the paper interviewed John Sattler and he is saying it was stolen. Very interesting read.

I have Ron Cootes 1971 Grand Final jersey here, but its in BIG tatters, although the Bunny logo is in good shape, Ive emailed Select about using it in a game used card twice, but they havent responded either time, might try once more. Even though its in tatters, they can still snip it up for jersey pieces, or maybe I should make my own cards!

quoting the description

"The jersey comes with two letters of authenticity from John – one date 18/11/99 and a second dated 15/1/02.

I purchased the jersey many years ago from an elderly couple who had bought the jersey at Souths’ Leagues Club in a 1973 auction. The first letter from John confirms this.

I obtained a second letter from John after a newspaper incorrectly reported that it was stolen. It was in fact John’s 1971 jersey that was not returned from a company who were to frame the jersey."

Interesting indeed. Sounds to me like the memorabilia company is dodgey. To claim that the jersey was simply stolen from them, and then a few years later have an insurance claim knocked back for other 'stolen' goods. Sounds a bit funny. They may have sold it on and then claimed it was stolen. Temptation might have been a bit to much.

Im surprised eBay has not pulled it given Sattler's quote

"I'm told there's something that accompanies it on eBay saying I've signed two letters of authenticity. Mate, that's lies - I haven't signed anything. I guess it just reconfirms that there are some real ordinary buggers out there."

Who's is going to pay $30,000 for something that the cops could come and knock on your door and say - sorry mate its stolen, hand it over.

It's not even the same jersey ... check out the picture on ebay compared to a picture from the day. Hoops are different thicknesses (around the shoulders especially), and the Rabbits logo is in a different place compared to the stripe.

What a crook!!! I'd like to see those certificates as well.

$(KGrHqQOKj!E3uE2d,ljBN9CU7UPlg~~_3.jpg

p-29a.jpg

Ebay really needs to pull this listing.

That's some great detective work James - you should email that into the telegraph.

This is nuts - either the seller has HUGE cajones or is going to be very vey disappointed when the truth outs....

Any slight chance he wore a different jersey in each half?

This is nuts - either the seller has HUGE cajones or is going to be very vey disappointed when the truth outs....

Any slight chance he wore a different jersey in each half?

No - this is a different style of jersey.

It's not even the same jersey ... check out the picture on ebay compared to a picture from the day. Hoops are different thicknesses (around the shoulders especially), and the Rabbits logo is in a different place compared to the stripe.

What a crook!!! I'd like to see those certificates as well.
Very good observations there. Obviously its a rip off with forged COA too.

I've been looking at this thing for ages and I'm second guessing myself now. Parts of it do seem very accurate! Could the Rabbits logo have come off at some stage and been amatuerishly replaced?

I've got a little bit of video footage of the game on the "That's Rugby League" DVD, and it does look just like the jersey on there, down to the numbers falling off in exactly the same parts as they are on the jersey in the auction.

Going by the 2 photos, the logo is not in the same spot, if someone replaced the logo, then why didn't they also fix up the numbers, anyway i won't be bidding on it and if it has been stolen, then all Sattler has to do is report it to the Police, for stolen jersey, fraudlent COA etc, unless he did sign something 10-12 years ago but just doesn't remember...

I've been looking at this thing for ages and I'm second guessing myself now. Parts of it do seem very accurate! Could the Rabbits logo have come off at some stage and been amatuerishly replaced?

I've got a little bit of video footage of the game on the "That's Rugby League" DVD, and it does look just like the jersey on there, down to the numbers falling off in exactly the same parts as they are on the jersey in the auction.

Was it always the full Rabboths emblem on the jerseys back in 1970 just out of interest, I remember reading somewhere that they used half a Bunny logo somewhere on their jerseys for some reason. It has 2 bids now, someone is trying to outbid Russell!

Back
Top Bottom