John Ireland Caricature Trading Cards - The Eagle Has Landed!

good to see things are progressing

one thiong i would say is try not to over complicate it too much, especially for your first try

are you looking for current players onlyor recently retired?

one thing that has been obviously missing recently in cricket collections is overseas players so some recently retired like boucher, pollock, ganguly, kumble, s fleming, shoaib etc havent got much pulicity card wise over here

a player i like is shakib al hasan so i think it would be good to get him in the set.

what do you plan to have on the backs of the cards?

good to see things are progressing

one thiong i would say is try not to over complicate it too much, especially for your first try

are you looking for current players onlyor recently retired?

one thing that has been obviously missing recently in cricket collections is overseas players so some recently retired like boucher, pollock, ganguly, kumble, s fleming, shoaib etc havent got much pulicity card wise over here

a player i like is shakib al hasan so i think it would be good to get him in the set.

what do you plan to have on the backs of the cards?

Some of the players you mention have appeared in previous books by John Ireland, so they are off the table, such as Shoaib and Pollock. I think Boucher is either already drawn or is on my short-list. Looking for players from all eras, as long as they haven't already been published (see the link to the list in my earlier post).

On the back, probably just stats or some verbage about the player, numbers of the set (e.g. 1 of 500) and in fine-print my website URL. Haven't got to the design phase yet, as we're still exploring a few more options before giving John Ireland a list of players which need drawing up. When he commences that task, I'll kick the rest of the process up a notch.

Hi Nazim,

I'd def be in for 2 sets, probably 5 sets. They'd be a real collectors item.

I know this is ongoing, but what about packaging them in an ultra pro 50 count 2 piece box? I just don't know about cost for you, merely a suggestion.

Example:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultra-Pr...ames&hash=item460278a46e&_uhb=1#ht_1727wt_869

You keep the flame alive for cricket collectors. My wife was only saying last night that it is a pity there isn't a cricket set (not because she wants me to spend $$$$$ each summer) but my son is addicted to his NRL Telegraph footy card binder and he loves cricket, so he'd know all the cricket players too.

I hope it all goes well. :)

Chris

PS : If you number them, do it 1 of 500 for all. Then everyone feels special :p But I'll take 76, 257, 329, 334, 380 if available :)

Hi Nazim,

I'd def be in for 2 sets, probably 5 sets. They'd be a real collectors item.

I know this is ongoing, but what about packaging them in an ultra pro 50 count 2 piece box? I just don't know about cost for you, merely a suggestion.

Example:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultra-Pr...ames&hash=item460278a46e&_uhb=1#ht_1727wt_869

You keep the flame alive for cricket collectors. My wife was only saying last night that it is a pity there isn't a cricket set (not because she wants me to spend $$$$$ each summer) but my son is addicted to his NRL Telegraph footy card binder and he loves cricket, so he'd know all the cricket players too.

I hope it all goes well. :)

Chris

PS : If you number them, do it 1 of 500 for all. Then everyone feels special :p But I'll take 76, 257, 329, 334, 380 if available :)

Hey Chris,

Done deal man. If this things gets off the ground, you will receive the sets you just mentioned above! Still a loooong road ahead of revised costings, design, DRAWINGS, numbering (not sure what's involved) and of course money! I was thinking about the plastic box, if I can get them at wholesale prices. They would be much easier for me to store and mail out as well, compared to an album. Also would mean less manual labour for me. I could just throw a set in each box and would only have to do that 500 times rather than having to place 22500 cards in albums. Having both the album and a plastic box for the cards would be the perfect solution, but would obviously cost me a lot more and I really feel with no backing behind me, I need to keep my production cost low, so I can sell for under $50.

By the way Chris, I'm going to the SCG next Friday for Aus A vs SAF. Are you going to be there at all?

Naz

Hey Chris,

Done deal man. If this things gets off the ground, you will receive the sets you just mentioned above! Still a loooong road ahead of revised costings, design, DRAWINGS, numbering (not sure what's involved) and of course money! I was thinking about the plastic box, if I can get them at wholesale prices. They would be much easier for me to store and mail out as well, compared to an album. Also would mean less manual labour for me. I could just throw a set in each box and would only have to do that 500 times rather than having to place 22500 cards in albums. Having both the album and a plastic box for the cards would be the perfect solution, but would obviously cost me a lot more and I really feel with no backing behind me, I need to keep my production cost low, so I can sell for under $50.

By the way Chris, I'm going to the SCG next Friday for Aus A vs SAF. Are you going to be there at all?

Naz

I was thinking of popping in.

Should be good fun, and I'm always keen to see Dale Steyn in action :)

ok I have got a list of 45 together which i think fulfils the criteria: i have included a few associate players just becuase i like them

now everyone can starting giving their ins and outs

1 Gilchrist, Adam AUS
2 Gillespie, Jason AUS
3 Lee, Brett AUS
4 Ponting, Ricky AUS
5 Symonds, Andrew AUS
6 Watson, Shane AUS
7 Hussey, Michael AUS
8 Clarke, Michael AUS
9 Siddle, Peter AUS
10 Warner, Dave AUS
11 Al-Hasan, Shakib BAN
12 Davison, John CAN
13 Broad, Stuart ENG
14 Cook, Alastair ENG
15 Flintoff, Andrew ENG
16 Hoggard, Matthew ENG
17 Pietersen, Kevin ENG
18 Strauss, Andrew ENG
19 Swann, Graeme ENG
20 Vaughan, Michael ENG
21 Dravid, Rahul IND
22 Ganguly, Saurav IND
23 Kumble, Anil IND
24 Singh, Harbajhan IND
25 Sehwag, Virender IND
26 Gambhir, Gautam IND
27 O'Brien, Kevin IRE
28 Tikolo, Steve KEN
29 Fleming, Stephen NZL
30 Astle, Nathan NZL
31 Khan, Younis PAK
32 Ajmal, Saeed PAK
33 Yousuf, Mohammed PAK
34 Boucher, Mark RSA
35 Kallis, Jacques RSA
36 Smith, Graeme RSA
37 Steyn, Dale RSA
38 De Villers, AB RSA
39 Jayawardene, Mahela SRL
40 Sangakkara, Kumar SRL
41 De Silva, Aravinda SRL
42 Gayle, Chris WIN
43 Chanderpaul, Shiv WIN
44 Bravo, Dwayne WIN
45 Flower, Andy ZIM

For mine, selfish, Starc, Pattinson and Cummins... :)

But otherwise, a well rounded set.

And anything with an Alastair Cook always good in my books.

May-Z, thanks for the elaborate list. I agree with a lot of those. As soon as I get a chance, I'll start collating the results/opinions. At the end of the day, final say will be with John Ireland and I do believe he has a strong opinion on what he puts out to market, but as long as we stick to the popular and interesting players and reuse at least 20-25 of his existing ones, he'll be fine I'm sure.

Other developments are that I was trying to get a price on the albums and 9 pocket pages, but having given it more consideration, I'm going to perhaps stick to the 50 count plastic boxes. This will also assist with "randomising" any of the autograph cards, in the absence of shrink wrapping etc ... if that makes sense to everyone? Anyhow, still early days, but hey, I really appreciate the support from you guys so far and this is going to happen, as long as I don't lose my nerve :D

In the "unlikely" event that I do lose my bottle and this project fizzles out, can I pick the guys who are going to form the "lynch mob" for all my time wasting???? :lol:

You won't know if you don't try.

I, for one, admire your pluck. I've always wanted to get the CA card licence even back in 1991 when Scanlens bailed. But... At least you're doing it.

You won't know if you don't try.

I, for one, admire your pluck. I've always wanted to get the CA card licence even back in 1991 when Scanlens bailed. But... At least you're doing it.

Well, not exactly getting the license. Have put forward John Ireland's argument that his caricatures are not actual images of the players and such. Waiting on the ACB ruling among other things. Worse case scenario, they will ask for 20%, which I've accounted for in my calculations.

To be perfectly honest with you, I am scared out of my wits about this project. The returns are going to be quite modest and the risks quite high. You wouldn't do this if you wanted to make money, that's for sure. I'm more than happy to "break even" and I sure hope I get there!

Sorry - didn't mean you had the licence...I just long for a series EVERY summer.

Easy for me too, as I'm not taking the risk. But you're doing it for love, look to have worked out your sums and have contingencies.

One thing I thought of is maybe getting perspective buyers to pledge/pay up front. That way you can gauge true interest from those who put their money where there mouth is.

Sorry - didn't mean you had the licence...I just long for a series EVERY summer.

Easy for me too, as I'm not taking the risk. But you're doing it for love, look to have worked out your sums and have contingencies.

One thing I thought of is maybe getting perspective buyers to pledge/pay up front. That way you can gauge true interest from those who put their money where there mouth is.

Love the gesture mate! At the end of the day, I've even had financial support offers from some people. Sadly Ron was one of those gents, but as we can see, life can throw up some nasty surprises! In any case, I can't bear the thought of risking or holding on to other people's money. It's all good. If I produce a nice enough product, I'm sure I'll be able to sell a few. Be cool if I can move this from empty talk to a real product soon!

Allright folks, time to move this forward a bit more.

John has asked that I try and reuse as many of his existing caricatures as possible. After much deliberation, I think I've settled on a final list of those, as follows.

Boucher, Mark - SAF
Bowden, Billy - UMP
Broad, Stuart - ENG
Caddick, Andy - ENG
Collingwood, Paul - ENG
Cook, Alastair - ENG
Dravid, Rahul - IND
Flintoff, Andrew - ENG
Flower, Andy - ZIM
Ganguly, Saurav - IND
Gilchrist, Adam - AUS
Gillespie, Jason - AUS
Harmison, Steve - AUS
Kallis, Jacques - SAF
Lee, Brett - AUS
Morgan, Eoin - ENG
Ntini, Makhaya - SAF
Panesar, Monty - ENG
Pietersen, Kevin - ENG
Ponting, Ricky - AUS
Prior, Matt - ENG
Richardson, Richie - WI
Smith, Graeme - SAF
Strauss, Andrew - ENG
Swann, Graeme - ENG
Symonds, Andrew - AUS
Vaughan, Michael - ENG
Watson, Shane - AUS

Thus, we are left with 17 more caricatures to have drawn up. The core theme is "Characters", preferably they should be on this mortal coil, for the benefit of us autograph hunters. I do acknowledge, some may find it very difficult to track down Andrew Symonds, but I've seen the caricature drawn up by John Ireland, and trust me, it is too good to be left out of this set.

I have come up with 13 so far, based on some suggestions and a bit of personal preference (such as Bill Lawry). Happy to debate these with y'all, and see what the consensus is. Two of them will remain unnamed for now as Brad is going to try and organise official signatures if at all possible. Happy to hear some thoughts!

(P.S. Jack - not looking good for Phil Hughes I'm afraid. Hope you would still buy a set though!!)

Afridi, Shahid - PAK
Amla Hashim - SAF
Clarke, Michael - AUS
Dhoni, M.S. - IND
Gayle, Chris - WI
Hussey, Michael - AUS
Lawry, Bill - AUS
Malinga, Lasith - SL
McCullum, Brendan - NZ
Sangakarra, Kumar - SL
Sehwag, Virender - IND
Steyn, Dale - SAF
Taufel, Simon - UMP

Some comments, I'd like to make. Taufel has been included in order to give Billy Bowden some company as Umpire. I had also short-listing Aleem Dar. I like the guy heaps, but I'm not sure about this. Darrell Hair is also drawn up but I think he would be too polarising and I do want to sell these items overseas as well. Any thoughts about this?

In terms of the trading card sets. I'm waiting on quotation on albums, but honestly, to keep my costs down, I think I need to seriously lean towards some simple ultra-pro 50 count holders (is that the right terminology for those?). Would appreciate if anyone could source some wholesale pricing for me or point me in the right direction.

Given the above game plan, I am still totally confused about how to distribute any official signature cards we might be able to organise. Also, for the record, I know Futera copped a lot of flak for this, but I'm sure you guys would totally understand, as a collector myself, I am going to do everything I can to secure a couple of signature cards for my own collection. I hope no one begrudges me that little power play :D Beyond that, I will try my best to not play favourites and randomise the signatures (still not sure how to achieve this). Any thoughts guys?

Hi Naz,
IMO that is a great list of players. I would like to see a Simon Taufel card as I would rate him the best umpire of the past 20 years. In regards to the signature cards, that is a tough one. Probably not realistic but if they were /250 there would be 1 in each set. Not really sure actually just thinking out loud.
Good luck mate!!!!!

Naz, I don't think anyone could begrudge you the right to keep a couple of the signature cards - at least you are honest about it! It is things like the Facebook Q&A with Select that p**s people off when you get an answer of "we keep whatever autograph # cards we like" so there isn't ACTUALLY 250 or 400 or whatver available. With your release we will know exacly how many signed cards are released!

not a bad list naz but i would dfefinitely take richardson and lawry out as they really dont fit in with the style of other players, as in their playing time, and i think actually harm the set because of it.

re the signatures, why randomise it if it is difficult? what is wrong with people nominting whcih signature they would like on a first come first serve basis? it may encourage people to but a set if they know they are getting a certain signature, i certainly would if i knew i was getting a kallis signed card for instance (not that i expect him to be signing this series)

Back
Top Bottom