John Ireland Caricature Trading Cards - The Eagle Has Landed!

Hi Nazim,

I would approach it that potentially 25-50 autographed stamped sets would make it interesting.
Bundled into unmarked packs it would be tempting to purchase more than 1 set to increase the odds of getting a signature set.
People could still then get their own sets autographed but there would always be those special sets.
Cricket officials need to get behind people like you who are trying to encourage interest in the game.
I would also list them as buy-it-now on ebay to reach the wider audience which allows increased marketing of the product across the wider audience.
You can use the body of the spiel to hopefully promote/market what you are doing.

I will put my hand up for 4 sets no matter what (and hopefully I can pick up a special set in that and keep the others for a rainy day).
Hopefully numerous others are like minded to get multiples because a number of us like clean issued cards and others like to collect sigs in addition.

You have my support mate.=D>

Regards Russell:thumbsup:

Thanks Russell. Unfortunately, officially signed sets are out of the question, as that would cost me a large sum of money, which I don't have. Anyhow, I'll start doing some groundwork and see what other support I find along the way.

This sounds like a great project. I would hate to deviate you from your plan but have you and John considered doing a volume 3 of Cricket Caracters? More than happy to drum up interest. If it helps I live very close to the SCG. Also happy to lend some financial help. Rob

This sounds like a great project. I would hate to deviate you from your plan but have you and John considered doing a volume 3 of Cricket Caracters? More than happy to drum up interest. If it helps I live very close to the SCG. Also happy to lend some financial help. Rob

Hey Rob,

The truth is that John wanted to publish a 3rd volume, but his publisher has retired and he's not been able to find a suitable replacement. That's what led us to the idea of cards, but we are open to all options. Happy to accept any logistical help you can lend to make this a reality.

Cheers,

Naz

Hey guys,

This project is still alive. Very slow process, but I'm determined to make it happen. So far, the plan is to either produce a book and/or produce a set of cards. IF the cards get off the ground, there will be 45 in a set (limited edition of 500) and will retail for $45 plus postage. Sadly, NO signature cards. I'm hoping quality will be similar to Futera cards. I'm also hoping to include an album or in the very least have them come with 5 x standard 9 pocket pages. This remains to be seen, depending on costs.

How does this sound to everyone here? Would like some honest input as I will have to sell all the sets and would prefer to know up front if people are not happy with the pricing etc. Feel free to PM me.

In terms of the players/officials featured, I have to pick 20-25 from some existing caricatures (previously unpublished) and have the remainder drawn up. I'm quite open to suggestions. My criteria is:

• Pick players who have not been previously published
  • Preferably pick players who are alive, so autograph opportunities remain open
So, below are the lists of (a) previously published i.e. off limits caricatures (b) new caricatures 20-25 of which will make up the set of 45 Happy to hear which caricatures you would like to pick from the list and which ones you would like to see drawn up. No restrictions on which team the players are with - main criteria is that they need to be universally/reasonably popular e.g. Chris Gayle :)

http://www.nazimcricket.com/caricature_list.htm

I'm keen on 2 sets Naz. I think the price is fair and would be great to see this set happen.
There are some good names in the unpublished list.
Can't go past the Aussies Ponting, Watson, Lee, Gilchrist, Gillespie, Symonds.
Others I'd like to see Flintoff, Pietersen,Panesar, Kallis, Smith, Ntini, Richarson, Gayle, Pollard, Singh, Dravid, Ganguly
Also wouldn't mind seeing the Umpires Darrell Hare and Billy Bowden:kick:
Well that's 20 to start with. Love to hear more names that people like.
Great to see that you are still pushing ahead mate.:thumbsup:

I'm keen on 2 sets Naz. I think the price is fair and would be great to see this set happen.
There are some good names in the unpublished list.
Can't go past the Aussies Ponting, Watson, Lee, Gilchrist, Gillespie, Symonds.
Others I'd like to see Flintoff, Pietersen,Panesar, Kallis, Smith, Ntini, Richarson, Gayle, Pollard, Singh, Dravid, Ganguly
Also wouldn't mind seeing the Umpires Darrell Hare and Billy Bowden:kick:
Well that's 20 to start with. Love to hear more names that people like.
Great to see that you are still pushing ahead mate.:thumbsup:

Thanks so much for your response Matty. I'll be collating a list of all the players/officials people tell me of and then go through a selection process with John Ireland, seeing as it will be entirely up to him to draw them up. I think in recent weeks, Chris Gayle has earnt his right to be drawn up. I would also like Saeed Ajmal to make an appearance, given he is likely to make an indelible mark on the game the way he has been bowling. To give more international appeal to the set, I may have to sacrifice some of our local lads, such as Phillip Hughes (sorry Jack - though I am always open to bribes :cool:) .

This whole process is quite scary as I'm looking to invest a large chunk of money and the returns are extremely modest. You would certainly not want to do this for commercial reasons, so I'm really hopeful I'll find enough buyers for the 499 sets (the first one will be ALL MINE :D)

I think that price is pretty reasonable Naz. Would definitely buy a couple mate. Let us know if there is anyway I can help get this off the ground.

Hi Naz,

Mate I'd love to see this get off the ground.

Will the 500 sets all be individually numbered?

I think this set MUST have a signature insert. I'll PM you.

Brad

Thanks guys for the support. Definitely planning to have the sets individually numbered.

Brad, I'd love to have a signature insert, but it could complicate things as players would likely want big dollars to sign something and the margins in this are lean to begin with. Anyhow, love to hear your candid input via PM. Open to all suggestions!

Hi Naz,

As I said in earlier post, count me in for at least one set.

I agree with most of Mattys nominations, I would add David Warner, Brendan McCallum and Shahid Afridi to the list. Maybe also a few more Aussies Simon Katich and Nathan Bracken would be good!

Hi Naz!

I think that you should be proud of how far the concept has come and how much support you have had so far :)

What do you think about the likelihood of 1 jumbo card per set commemorating "partnerships" (not a new concept I know, have seen them done previously in different sports!) - eg Hayden/Langer, Greenidge/Haynes, Lawry/Simpson, Taylor/Slater?

Hi Naz
Glad to hear it is still on the cards.
I will take two sets certainly.
As for players I think lasith malinga is a good bet. Easily the most recognisable hair in world cricket today. Kp could be one, chanderpaul with his stance, I am sure John cold do him justice with this. Perhaps Stuart broad. Hashim Amla is a good one too

Always preferred sets with albums too. Even if they are more the cardboard type ones like the weetbix one from a few years ago

Thanks everyone for the ongoing support. Keep the opinions coming.

I think we're on the same page in terms of some of the players. I was already thinking Malinga, Katich, McCullum and Afridi. Broad and Pietersen are already drawn up. It will be interesting to see John's response once I've presented him with a final list of 45 players/officials. Slowly getting to that point.

Matt I think a jumbo card might be a problem for me, as I'm having trouble organising decent packaging and uniformity is a key to keeping things simple, plus John might not like drawing too many double-player cards as it adds to his workload considerably. However, your idea is a good one. I certainly love this item in my collection (http://www.nazimcricket.com/images/waughsm1.jpg) and maybe we could have a few special double-sided inserts or dual signature cards (working on this angle with Brad). We'll see what happens!

This is EXCITING and SCARY!!! I sure hope I can convert all this empty talk into a reality. I know I have the funds to take the risk and I have John's agreement, so the biggest hurdles are out of the way. I just hope I get enough traction to sell all sets, otherwise, it will take me a long time to recover from this investment. Let's hope it all goes well!

Back
Top Bottom