Jason Kidd to the Mavs

I read that about Stack, saying he'll be back after 30 days, but never thought too much about it.

There was also talk he would go to the Pistons.

Rather glad the deal has gone balls-up tho, I think the Mavs are really ripping that side apart by moving those players.

i agree i like devin harris he will only get better as for kid he is good but come on he just turend 35

the mavs need to put there thinking hats on and not be stupid i like your picture of the fans its good to see there is lots of emotions in the dallas

Ah well, looks like the deal's going ahead after all...

Talk about moving a lot to get not a lot (IMO)...
But at least we keep Stack!!!

The Dallas Mavericks and New Jersey Nets have agreed to a retooled deal that will send Devin Harris, DeSagana Diop, Trenton Hassell, Moe Ager, a signed-and-traded Keith Van Horn, two first-round draft picks and cash in exchange for the future Hall of Fame point guard and Malik Allen.

What happened to Antione Wright?? He would have been a "decent" addition if we're losing some Guards/SFs.

At least now Van-Horn will be off the books.

Won't miss Ager & Hassell (all THAT much), VH wasnt on the active roster, so he won't be missed. But DH34 & Big Diop will be missed.

And whilst it'll be a VERY odd occasion should the Mavs ever end up in the lottery, the two 1st Round picks may not be missed, but we all know what the Mavs can pick out of a Draft so late in the 1st Round.

As for the $3M (I think it was $3M), that won't be missed.

Wonder what number J-Kidd will wear????

Can't have #5 (Josh Howard wears), and can't have his Suns old number (#32 - Brandon Bass wears).....

Go #34, so at least I have something to chear about when you do something for the Mavs, J.Kidd....

Hopefully this move is what the mavs need to finally get that ring!

Bass or JHO may choose to change numbers for Kidd.

Ah well, looks like the deal's going ahead after all...

Talk about moving a lot to get not a lot (IMO)...
But at least we keep Stack!!!

What happened to Antione Wright?? He would have been a "decent" addition if we're losing some Guards/SFs.

Won't miss Ager & Hassell (all THAT much), VH wasnt on the active roster, so he won't be missed. But DH34 & Big Diop will be missed.

And whilst it'll be a VERY odd occasion should the Mavs ever end up in the lottery, the two 1st Round picks may not be missed, but we all know what the Mavs can pick out of a Draft so late in the 1st Round.

As for the $3M (I think it was $3M), that won't be missed.

Wonder what number J-Kidd will wear????

Can't have #5 (Josh Howard wears), and can't have his Suns old number (#32 - Brandon Bass wears).....

Go #34, so at least I have something to chear about when you do something for the Mavs, J.Kidd....

I don't think he was on the books so to speak. My understanding is he signed a contract just to help the trade go through. Lucky bloke, cashing in for nothing, but they needed to do it, since George wouldn't go and Stackhouse couldn't keep his cake hole shut!

Van Horn hadn't filed retirement papers with the league, so the Mavs still held his rights.

Good luck to Kidd and the Mavs, they'll certainly need it against a VERY stacked Western Conference this year. The Western Conference playoffs are shaping up to see some huge battles. I can see some very intense 7 game series coming up.

Still don't see the Mavs winning it all though.

I don't think he was on the books so to speak. My understanding is he signed a contract just to help the trade go through. Lucky bloke, cashing in for nothing, but they needed to do it, since George wouldn't go and Stackhouse couldn't keep his cake hole shut!

Van Horn hadn't filed retirement papers with the league, so the Mavs still held his rights.

How would the trade work if the Mavs signed Van Horn, and NOT trade him?

It doesnt make sense...

If the Mavs trade him to NJ, he takes his rights with him. You can't trade someone, and still own their rights to play...

The trade has to be complete now...

Just went to create a customised Jersey using "Harris" & the #34...

Your current entry cannot be processed. Some entries are prohibited due to guidelines for past and present player names. Please create a new entry.

How would the trade work if the Mavs signed Van Horn, and NOT trade him?

It doesnt make sense...

If the Mavs trade him to NJ, he takes his rights with him. You can't trade someone, and still own their rights to play...

Sorry, what I meant was, the Mavs didn't need to get Van Horn off the books, as he wasn't under contract.

I'm pretty sure, He was being paid, and that he did what Bradley did. He was on the books, and "retired" without signing retirement papers.

Cos he was owned by the Mavs, he wasnt permitted to play any other basketball, unless they signed him back, or traded him (sign & trade).

I could be wrong, but pretty sure that's how it went down.

I'm pretty sure, He was being paid, and that he did what Bradley did. He was on the books, and "retired" without signing retirement papers.

Cos he was owned by the Mavs, he wasnt permitted to play any other basketball, unless they signed him back, or traded him (sign & trade).

He was included in the deal under a "sign and trade", so I am pretty sure he was a free agent this season mate.

Van Horn's contract run out in 06 and since no one signed him after his contract run out, the Mavs have the right to offer a 1 year contract to be thrown in a trade scenario like this. Why would they do this you say? Well basically at the end of the offseason it will equal cap room for the Nets (though I am not entirely sure they will be under the cap anyways...)

Just to clear any confusion...

Keith Van Horn is in the same situation with the Mavs that Aaron McKie was with the Lakers. Not on the books, but his rights are owned by the team.

The fallback scenario is Dallas agreeing to sign-and-trade Keith Van Horn in George's place, capitalizing on the fact that the Mavericks still hold Van Horn's rights and the fact that Van Horn has not submitted official retirement papers to the league office since he last played in 2005-06.

Players who are signed-and-traded are required to receive a three-year contract, but only the first year must be guaranteed. Dallas could thus create an expiring-contract effect with Van Horn to match George's expiring contract, which is the main reason New Jersey is so adamant about having George in the deal.

Above quote taken from:

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3246325"]Sources: Kidd's trade to Mavs could still happen, but may require Van Horn - NBA - ESPN[/ame]

:thumbsup:

This might also help. ;)

The Nets could come away with even more salary-cap relief if the Mavericks built their trade package around Harris and a signed-and-traded Keith Van Horn. Although he has been out of the game since the end of the 2005-06 season, Van Horn hasn't filed official retirement papers with the league, allowing Dallas to retain his rights. And because Van Horn's final NBA salary was nearly $16 million, Dallas can re-sign him for a substantial amount and thus create a lucrative expiring contract for the Nets, because only the first year of a contract must be guaranteed in a sign-and-trade arrangement.

Cuban, though, told ESPN.com last week that "we won't use [Van Horn] in any deal for anyone." That's because Kidd would cost the Mavericks nearly $40 million next season, thanks to the luxury tax, if they sent only Harris, Van Horn and salary-cap filler to the Nets.

Quote source:

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3244102"]Sources: Mavs, Nets close in on Kidd deal - NBA - ESPN[/ame]

Yeah I just read that (not same one, but similar).

Looks like they're going to have to waive Fazekas or Juwan Howard (hopefully Howard).
Whilst Howard brings some veteran leadership, he really lacks what the Mavs need, a younger, athletic big man.

Sounds like the Mavs will bring in Antione Wright too, which was in the original deal, but removed from the revamped one:

Mr. Cuban would not confirm the players in the deal. The Mavericks will have to waive a player – possibly veteran Juwan Howard or rookie Nick Fazakas – before they can re-sign Mr. Van Horn because they are at the league-maximum 15 players.

Mr. Van Horn's inclusion could be the only problem. He has never filed retirement papers with the league, and the Mavericks still own his rights, meaning they can sign him to any amount and include him in this sort of sign-and-trade scenario.

It is believed Mr. Van Horn will get a $4 million salary for this season to help make the salary-cap figures match. For the trade to be approved, Mr. Van Horn must show he's serious about resuming his career, according to NBA commissioner David Stern.

Apparently, that stipulation has been OK'd by Mr. Van Horn.

The Mavericks are hoping the deal goes through quickly enough to allow Mr. Kidd to take part in the team's first practice after the All-Star break, on Tuesday.

Well, it's a done deal... Not that I doubted it wouldnt happen.

Harris is already in Jersey, WOW, no mucking around!

Pitty about Fazekas tho. But like any 7-foot European (excluding Dirk) the Mavs won't work with them....

Kidd is expected to arrive in Dallas in plenty of time for today's 3 p.m. practice at American Airlines Center. Devin Harris, the primary piece going from the Mavericks to New Jersey, is already with the Nets.

Mavericks and Nets officials had a conference call with league attorneys, who ruled that all components of the trade are valid.

In addition to Harris, DeSagana Diop, Trenton Hassell, Moe Ager and the newly re-signed Keith Van Horn go to the Nets, along with first-round draft picks this summer and in 2010, $3 million in cash and a $1.6-million trade exception.

Along with Kidd, an eight-time All-Star point guard, the Mavericks get forward Malik Allen and swingman Antoine Wright.

The Mavericks' first game after the All-Star break is Wednesday night at New Orleans, and if all players have reported to their new teams and passed physicals, Kidd could make his Mavericks' debut against the Hornets at New Orleans Arena.

The Mavericks started the process of announcing the trade by waiving rookie forward Nick Fazekas.

EDIT:
Looks like Kidd is wearing Jersey #2

Back
Top Bottom