Jason Kidd to the Mavs

lockymac

Graded Mint 10 by GEM!!!
Real Name
Lachlan
eBay User
lockymac
Well it's not a done deal yet
But looks like Scotty will see Devin in a Nets Uni soon...
Sources told ESPN.com that the Mavericks and Nets on Wednesday reached an agreement in principle on a Kidd deal after talks had seemingly stalled last week, moving the teams to brink of completing the NBA's third blockbuster deal of the month.

Although sources say that the teams are still sorting out final details, this deal was described as "imminent" by multiple sources close to the process after negotiations moved to an advanced stage Tuesday night. The deal -- salvaged from talks on a three-way trade with Portland that developed and fizzled quickly two weeks ago -- has Dallas sending 24-year-old point guard Devin Harris, veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse, the expiring contracts of center DeSagana Diop and swingman Devean George and guard Maurice Ager to New Jersey for Kidd and forward Malik Allen.

Sources say Dallas will also add the league-maximum $3 million in cash and send its first-round draft pick this June as well as a first-rounder in 2010.

The Nets are expected to buy out Stackhouse's contract immediately, which could enable him to re-sign with Dallas if he waits 30 days, and ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reports that the Nets and the Mavs are likewise poised to complete a separate trade that will send swingman Antoine Wright to Dallas for a future second-round pick.

Dallas has been widely considered the most likely winner of the Kidd trade sweepstakes, despite the repeated attempts of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to publicly dismiss the idea of parting with multiple regulars for Kidd. Cuban told several New York-based reporters Sunday before New Jersey beat Dallas that a deal for All-Star floor leader would severely weaken his roster.

"For us to make the numbers work in a deal like that, we'd have to trade away half the team," Cuban said. "We're not doing that, so it just doesn't work. And we like our team. We've got a lot of room for improvement and we hope to get better. But right now, I just don't see anything happening.

Yet sources close to the process insist that the talks have heated up in the past 24 hours, with the Mavs still tantalized by the prospect of bringing Kidd back more than a decade after the pre-Cuban regime drafted him out of Cal, watched him share rookie of the year honors with Grant Hill in 1994-95 and then traded him to Phoenix on the day after Christmas in 1996.

The Mavs' biggest reservation, though, isn't sacrificing Harris. Sources maintain that Dallas, while reluctant to part with one of Cuban's favorite players and its point guard of the future after signing Harris to a contract extension over the summer, has been resigned for some time to losing Harris if it meant getting Kidd back.

The greater hesitation, sources said, is that they would also have to part with Stackhouse and Diop, weakening Dallas' depth. Even if the Nets do waive Stackhouse as expected and Dallas is able to re-sign him after a 30-day wait, losing Diop is a significant blow, as that leaves the inconsistent Erick Dampier as the Mavericks' only veteran center at a time when potential playoff foes like the Los Angeles Lakers (Pau Gasol) and Phoenix Suns (Shaquille O'Neal) are getting bigger.

But Dallas appears more motivated than ever in spite of those concerns and the current lack of a third team to join in and broaden the trade, believing that Kidd -- although he turns 35 in March and is threatening to establish a new career low with his 36.7 percent shooting from the field -- is still a prime source of leadership and mental toughness.

Kidd displayed those qualities in abundance during a strong summer with Team USA and those areas are well-chronicled weak spots for the Mavs, who followed up a historic collapse to Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals with a first-round flameout against Golden State after winning 67 games last season. A point guard of Kidd's caliber, influence and experience would undoubtedly please the demanding Avery Johnson, reinvigorate a team that has been lacking energy and confidence and supply Dallas' coach with a dangerous four-man core of Kidd, Josh Howard, Jason Terry and reigning MVP Dirk Nowitzki.

Nowitzki is the player Kidd has had in mind when privately telling associates in recent months that he hoped to go back to Dallas. Although his desire to leave New Jersey had been suspected all season, Kidd didn't go public with that wish until late January, when he told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that it's time for him and New Jersey "all to move on" in separate directions.

Kidd was acquired by the Nets in the 2001 offseason in a trade with Phoenix featuring Stephon Marbury and sparked New Jersey to the most successful period in the team's NBA history, starting with back-to-back trips to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003. After giving strong consideration to signing with San Antonio in the summer of 2003, Kidd elected to stay with the Nets. During the past four-plus seasons, however, New Jersey has not advanced past the second round of the playoffs, despite the 2004 arrival of Vince Carter and Kidd's successful recovery from microfracture knee surgery.

The Nets were prepared to deal Kidd to the Lakers at the trade deadline last season but pulled out of the deal when the Lakers refused to part with center Andrew Bynum, who has since blossomed. This deal would give them a highly rated point guard who's 10 years younger than Kidd and three cap-friendly contracts if the Mavericks indeed include Ager.

The Nets could come away with even more salary-cap relief if the Mavericks built their trade package around Harris and a signed-and-traded Keith Van Horn. Although he has been out of the game since the end of the 2005-06 season, Van Horn hasn't filed official retirement papers with the league, allowing Dallas to retain his rights. And because Van Horn's final NBA salary was nearly $16 million, Dallas can re-sign him for a substantial amount and thus create a lucrative expiring contract for the Nets, because only the first year of a contract must be guaranteed in a sign-and-trade arrangement.

Cuban, though, told ESPN.com last week that "we won't use [Van Horn] in any deal for anyone." That's because Kidd would cost the Mavericks nearly $40 million next season, thanks to the luxury tax, if they sent only Harris, Van Horn and salary-cap filler to the Nets.

ya beat me to it Locky :p i just read it myself!!

wonder how scotty will feel about his Love Child heading to the Nets?!? :lol:

Don't know how i feel about this trade yet!! Nets may do alright, especially after the Draft if they can pick up a few decent players!!

Will the Mavs have any players left after the trade :p haha

Ah well, nothing I can do but look forward to an "improved" Mavs??

Will be disappointing to see Harris leave, and watch the Nets decline, but that's the way things go in the life of sport.

I doubt the Nets will improve, and I'm really not set on seeing the Mavs improve.

They've been plagued with injures for so many weeks. When they had all players they were on cruise control, with no problems.

Is it that the Mavs feel that the Lakers & Suns will be too much for them since they've made their block busters??

Dallas has been widely considered the most likely winner of the Kidd trade sweepstakes, despite the repeated attempts of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to publicly dismiss the idea of parting with multiple regulars for Kidd. Cuban told several New York-based reporters Sunday before New Jersey beat Dallas that a deal for All-Star floor leader would severely weaken his roster.

"For us to make the numbers work in a deal like that, we'd have to trade away half the team," Cuban said. "We're not doing that, so it just doesn't work. And we like our team. We've got a lot of room for improvement and we hope to get better. But right now, I just don't see anything happening.

I wonder what, or who, changed his mind?

I agree with you Scotty, while I don't really see this trade heavily 'improving' either team, the Nets got the better end. Where's that committee to veto silly trades now?

Fairly young back court for the nets, devin + williams.... interesting to see how that pans out. Probably Kidd's last chance at a championship ring, where it all began...

Looks like it's a done deal...

The Nets have agreed to trade Jason Kidd and Malik Allen to the Mavericks for Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse, Devean George, DeSagana Diop, Maurice Ager, two first-round picks and cash, sources tell Tony Mejia of CBSSports.com.

The deal is expected to be finalized Wednesday.

Malik Allen won't be used with the Mavs, he's just there for the cap space. Not sure on his contract, so probably an expiring one.

What gets me tho, they get Kidd who's good for 2-3 more years (that's pushing it), but the players they gave up...

Harris - Ok, give up a PG for a PG, sure ok with that (not really)
Stack - Hopefully they buy him back after the Nets waive him, cos they need him off the bench.
George - Probably not going to be all THAT missed, but he's a great perimeter defender.
Diop - Not overly happy about seeing this guy leave. Solid defender, not much on offence, but his defence speaks for itself.
Ager - Pfft, let him go.

Ah well, at least this way, there's a chance for better looking patch cards in a years' time.. ;)

Harris, R-Jeff, Vince & Boone... Krstic doesnt do much for me.

But I'm sure I read that the Nets were looking to move Vince?

Well may still not happen.....Deavon George had exercised his right to block the trade just read on NBA.COM....here's the link..
[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3244818"]Mavs forward George blocks trade of Kidd to Mavs - NBA - ESPN[/ame]

"Early Bird Rights"....

Dallas' Devean George opted out of it. He doesn't have a no-trade clause, but has the equivalent -- a provision in the collective bargaining agreement known as "early Bird rights," which he can protect by not consenting to any deal.

Wonder what they will do now...

I can see the Mavs leaving themselves with little to no bench here tho, and should they suffer an injury to a 2nd main star, they'll really drop out in the playoffs...

4a58bfaf-53ad-47fe-b180-93e9621b1593.jpg

Another panic trade in the West following LA's trade for Gasol. There is a good article by Hollinger on ESPN (link below).

ESPN - Kidd trade is risky business for Mavs - NBA

I think the Mavs lose in this trade, maybe not immediately, but certainly deep into the playoffs and going into next season. The Nets would undoubtedly be the winners in this trade, not just because they get Harris but because of the expiring contracts and the draft picks. As John points out in his article, even though Stackhouse will be bought out of his contract, you can't rule out a reunion in Motown which you would have to say would just about undoubtedly put the Pistons in a position to win it all this year with an already deep bench and solid starting five. You also can't rule Cleveland out either who would jump at adding Stackhouse.

The Mavs might not choke this year, but if this trade happens I think they'll struggle against teams like the Lakers, Spurs, Jazz and Hornets in a 7 game playoff series where deep/strong benches and solid frontcourts matter most.

stupid trade kidd is nearly past it has 2-3 years left and devin harris is only going to get better

There's still more than meets the eye with this thing..

League to look at Stackhouse's comments
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
February 15, 2008

NEW ORLEANS – As the New Jersey Nets and Dallas Mavericks feverishly worked to convince Devean George to join in the trade for Jason Kidd on Thursday, there suddenly loomed another issue that could obliterate the proposed deal: the loose lips of Jerry Stackhouse.

The NBA will investigate the possibility the Mavericks and Stackhouse violated league rules with a prearranged agreement for the forward to return to Dallas after reaching a contract buyout in New Jersey and sitting out the 30-day waiting period, sources said. Several league sources said the NBA will consider forbidding Stackhouse to re-sign with the Mavericks this season as punishment for public comments the forward made on Wednesday that suggested tampering could have occurred.

If it comes to that, the deal is dead. Dallas owner Mark Cuban wouldn't complete the trade for Kidd without a belief that he could bring back Stackhouse this season. Ultimately, sources say, Mavericks management decided that losing Stackhouse would be too hard of a hit to the Mavericks' depth, too steep a price to pay for Kidd.

For the Mavericks, the trouble started when Stackhouse, 33, gave an interview to the Associated Press on Wednesday that suggested there was a plan for how his trade, buyout and eventual re-signing with Dallas would unfold.

Stackhouse said that he was only part of the deal "to make the numbers work."

What's more, he said, "I feel great. I get 30 days to rest then I'll be right back. I ain't going nowhere."

Even if George changes his mind on Friday about agreeing to waive his "Early Larry Bird Rights" and accept the trade to New Jersey, sources said the league office will not immediately approve the trade. With angry rival executives across the league expressing outrage over Stackhouse's comments, as well as the NBA's own issues and suspicions with the comments, senior VP of basketball operations Stu Jackson is obligated to look deeper into the matter.

The NBA doesn't allow such prearranged agreements. The rest of the league is required to have a fair chance to sign Stackhouse in the 30 days before he is eligible to re-sign with the Mavericks. It doesn't help appearances that Stackhouse and Kidd share the same agent, Jeff Schwartz.

When several league executives read Stackhouse's comments on Wednesday, they were irate and privately promised to protest if Stackhouse ends up passing on leaguewide offers and returns to the Mavericks.

"It sounds like a side deal, doesn't it?" one Eastern Conference executive said. "The league will have a lot of explaining to do if Stackhouse goes back to Dallas."

Another general manager said, "I thought it was the most blatant statement someone could make about a trade. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the league disallowed Stackhouse to go back to Dallas. Stackhouse is too impulsive and is prone to say stuff like that which could really end up hurting Dallas."

Finally, a third GM said, "It's caused a lot of people to wonder how they could get away with that, how those kind of pre-existing arrangements can be allowed."

For now, it is clear the trade that would send Kidd and Malik Allen to Dallas for George, Stackhouse, Devin Harris, DeSagana Diop and Maurice Ager, two first-round picks and $3 million is stuck. Before the Mavericks' 109-97 loss to the Suns in Phoenix on Thursday night, agent Mark Bartelstein insisted that his client hadn't changed his mind about vetoing his trade to the Nets.

"There's nothing new," Bartelstein said. "Right now, he's just focusing on playing for the Mavericks."

Between now and next Thursday's trade deadline, the Nets and Mavericks are exploring scenarios that still include George and a sign-and-trade with Keith Van Horn, but the Stackhouse case could make everything else irrelevant. Across the league, there's a belief that Stackhouse revealed too much with his words and the NBA plans to take a hard look and ask the obvious question: Is there strong enough evidence of a pre-existing agreement between the Mavericks and Stackhouse that deserves punishment? If they league decides there is, and refuses to let him re-sign with the Mavericks, the results could be devastating for Dallas.

No trade.

No Kidd.

It would be a steep price to pay for the loose lips of Jerry Stackhouse.

Oooooo .... that makes the situation interesting ... for someone that has been in the league so long, how could he be so stupid, to comment on a deal that is yet to be finalised (kinda similar tampering to the Joe Smith deal with T-wolves that cost them first round picks!)

On the George situation; why beat him up over it (both fans and officials). He has it in his contract(ie. it's "fair and square"), he is approaching the end of his career and probably wants a shot at a ring.

In all honesty, who wouldn't do the same?? (maybe he needs to cut a deal with both teams - Nets buy him out and he resigns for veteran's minimum with the Mavs) :lol:

Man Jerry is not very smart is he? You just keep your darn mouth shut in situations like that lol

Also - same draft class as Joe Smith I believe ;) (I may be wrong??)

Back
Top Bottom