Impact of new GST laws on buying cards overseas?

Micksis

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Shane
Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea what the impact of the GST law changes coming into effect on the 1/7/18 are going to be on those of us that buy cards from overseas?

I'm guessing buying from places like COMC is going to become more expensive if they bother supporting it i.e. collecting the GST at all.

More information can be found here:
https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-...ct-taxes/GST/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/

Yeah I would like to know how this law will be implemented, especially to mailbox type services. Will it be collected by the businesses themselves? By customs? By shipping services? Will it apply to gifts from overseas family/friends as well? What happens if overseas businesses don't support it?

There are so many variables to consider.

Collecting is about to get even more expensive.

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/SU18-2/Marketplace-Updates

"Buyers will still see the prices set by sellers on search results and listing pages, but you might see 'GST may apply' on items located outside Australia.
At checkout, buyers will see an extra 10% GST added on eligible orders (if the order total is <=1,000 AUD, the item is located outside Australia, and the delivery address is inside Australia)."

GST when you sell and GST when you buy and I reckon ebay will skim extra on postage or any other means on top of the exorbitant fees already in existence, plus the 5% currency take plus the PayPal fees. Feel like we're getting mugged left, right and centre.

Is anyone here registered for GST? Is it a lot of hassle keeping up with paperwork or just a matter of downloading buy/sell reports from ebay/paypal, keeping track of stationery purchases etc?

My concern isn't so much the cost but if guys like Dacardworld and COMC are going to collect GST or just stop doing business with Australian customers.

I think our government is so greedy that they want this extra money for themselves to cover all their own deficits (due to incompetence across the board) but yet so lazy that they offload the work to collect this money to the overseas sellers. I am pretty sure those sites will not collect GST for Australia because they wouldn't be bothered to (it costs money). If the government goes after these sites, then they will likely just cut out everyone from Australia by refusing to ship here.

But at the same time, our government will be too incompetent to go after these overseas sellers in an efficient manner to the point where these overseas people will actually bother with even blocking Australia. Only big companies like eBay and Amazon, will be under pressure to comply because they are easy targets. Just imagine the amount of customs officers they will have to hire and train to catch people who are not paying GST. They know they cannot do it properly, so they tell the sellers to do it and hand them the money based on the honesty system. Good luck to collecting even a single cent from the small standalone sellers around the world.

I assume your purchase was made on official sites like eBay that has invested money to comply.

As was mentioned above, on eBay, ANY outside Oz purchase that is getting shipped to Oz attracts the 10% gst.
Additionally with the sales tax on the state of WA where COMC is located also collected by eBay, I am now having everything shipped to our mutual FB friend Bryan Wells and "Ship My Cards".

Additionally, COMC has started charging a fee on every sale on the site..... -_-

Surely COMC is feeling the pinch? I'd imagine a lot less people shipping there and/or using it to market their cards.

Last edited:
Looks like they're still only targeting anything valued over $1k at the border. Anything else you buy from Ebay etc will have the 10% added in at purchase. If your using COMC mailbox as Westoz said, there's also now a state tax of 10% added to anything shipped to them as well. They're getting us from all sides now!

I've cleared out my COMC mailbox because their fees were getting too much anyway (and I got stung customs and duties on the parcel because it was massive...ggrrrr!) and am now using a mailbox service one of the guys on Blowout has just started offering...way cheaper and pretty top notch so far!

Hi all

Just to bump thread and did not want to hijack the mymallbox thread. Used to use MMB but not now.

Have used shipmycards once but this is for a non-ebay item so no tax collected. Arizona has just been hit with the state tax and shipmycards have a tax free address but it looks like they are forwarding the package back to Arizona.

Looking at Get it shipped international (GISI) and messaged Tim, he mentioned that have a tax free address too. I am asking from a user’s perspective if any members have used these two provider’s tax free address as I am looking at some stuff from Probstein.

Also, I wasn’t able to confirm that if I would get a scan / notification of item received using the basic package for GISI.

Thanks!
Clem

Looks like they're still only targeting anything valued over $1k at the border. Anything else you buy from Ebay etc will have the 10% added in at purchase. If your using COMC mailbox as Westoz said, there's also now a state tax of 10% added to anything shipped to them as well. They're getting us from all sides now!

I've cleared out my COMC mailbox because their fees were getting too much anyway (and I got stung customs and duties on the parcel because it was massive...ggrrrr!) and am now using a mailbox service one of the guys on Blowout has just started offering...way cheaper and pretty top notch so far!

Our government is not capable of setting a workflow to collect the tax on all items because that would cost too much to hire all these people. So their solution was to force the big companies to collect the money for them like eBay and Amazon, so if you buy your stuff online from small retailers, they will not collect anything for the Australian Government, so you can get away with not paying the 10% GST.

So who's this guy on Blowout offering his service? any good?

Our government is not capable of setting a workflow to collect the tax on all items because that would cost too much to hire all these people. So their solution was to force the big companies to collect the money for them like eBay and Amazon, so if you buy your stuff online from small retailers, they will not collect anything for the Australian Government, so you can get away with not paying the 10% GST.

So who's this guy on Blowout offering his service? any good?

The guy is Ian Fisher - Ifish73, and yeah he does a good job. He does most of the non-sport breaks on there which I go in, so it works out well for me, but he offers the service to anyone I think. Here's his facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/529090400951040/

Getting stung a US sales tax on ebay purcghases I sen to him now though as he's in New Jersey and they've brought in the Online Purchase tax like most US states. Think it's only a couple of percent though...cheaper than the GST.

Back
Top Bottom