Impact of new GST laws on buying cards overseas?

Micksis

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Shane
Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea what the impact of the GST law changes coming into effect on the 1/7/18 are going to be on those of us that buy cards from overseas?

I'm guessing buying from places like COMC is going to become more expensive if they bother supporting it i.e. collecting the GST at all.

More information can be found here:
https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-...ct-taxes/GST/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/

jkidd05

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Michael
Yeah I would like to know how this law will be implemented, especially to mailbox type services. Will it be collected by the businesses themselves? By customs? By shipping services? Will it apply to gifts from overseas family/friends as well? What happens if overseas businesses don't support it?

There are so many variables to consider.

baggies

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Michael
eBay User
1binwa
Collecting is about to get even more expensive.

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/SU18-2/Marketplace-Updates

"Buyers will still see the prices set by sellers on search results and listing pages, but you might see 'GST may apply' on items located outside Australia.
At checkout, buyers will see an extra 10% GST added on eligible orders (if the order total is <=1,000 AUD, the item is located outside Australia, and the delivery address is inside Australia)."

GST when you sell and GST when you buy and I reckon ebay will skim extra on postage or any other means on top of the exorbitant fees already in existence, plus the 5% currency take plus the PayPal fees. Feel like we're getting mugged left, right and centre.

baggies

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Michael
eBay User
1binwa
Is anyone here registered for GST? Is it a lot of hassle keeping up with paperwork or just a matter of downloading buy/sell reports from ebay/paypal, keeping track of stationery purchases etc?

Brian Lee

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Brian
I think our government is so greedy that they want this extra money for themselves to cover all their own deficits (due to incompetence across the board) but yet so lazy that they offload the work to collect this money to the overseas sellers. I am pretty sure those sites will not collect GST for Australia because they wouldn't be bothered to (it costs money). If the government goes after these sites, then they will likely just cut out everyone from Australia by refusing to ship here.

But at the same time, our government will be too incompetent to go after these overseas sellers in an efficient manner to the point where these overseas people will actually bother with even blocking Australia. Only big companies like eBay and Amazon, will be under pressure to comply because they are easy targets. Just imagine the amount of customs officers they will have to hire and train to catch people who are not paying GST. They know they cannot do it properly, so they tell the sellers to do it and hand them the money based on the honesty system. Good luck to collecting even a single cent from the small standalone sellers around the world.

Top Bottom