Great 70's card backs :-)

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
Although a pretty cheap mailday these are just out of a fresh box of 1970 topps and in MINT condition! Nice upgrades for the PC. BUT I love the card backs and I don't think many would see the backs of the great 70's sets very often. I love the humour and stupid little cartoons. So heres the backs LOL

topps70backs.jpg

And might as well show the minty mint fronts.
topps70fronts.jpg

Gets me wondering what everyones favourite back of a card is??? An important part of the design yet little discussed ;) Do you go for flasy graphics or comprehensive stats??? hmmm

jim barnes looks like the original shaft a bit

70s is cool

that 70's show is funny didnt think 70's shows were that good
re-runs are great

nice cards to by the way

Thought you had "clients" waiting - likely story! Couldnt help yourself could you?

One question for you Chad - was it a licence issue that the players don't actually have the Celtics showing on their jerseys ? Sort of reminds me of the Classic cards from the mid 90's where they airbrushed the team names off the jerseys.

Wow some interest in vintage around now. :) Thanks guys.

Graham you will notice the NBPA thing on the back of the cards. Like most sets and cards of the time the companies came to agreement with the players individualy or the players association like here. Topps started producing ones with team on the front from 1973 onwards. NBA licensed.

Things like this have made some cards rare. For instance the Honus Wagner RC that is worth so much is scarce coz his cards were pulled. Some stories are he pulled them as he didn't agree with them being in tabacco product but the real reason is they were late or didn't pay him. He also used chewing tabacco.

And yeah pack fresh is rare these days for tall boys. These would push a psa 8-9 with concessions like OC qualifiers on some. Still I'm happy with raw ones for the lesser players.

And Jimbo I have the Chaney already and autoed too from sending it to him years ago. I'll scan it if you would like to see it. I don't think he has one cert auto out there?

LOL I dont have a cool million US lying around Scotty!

This didn't do too well in the mail but it got back to me at least. Had it for over ten years though.

chaneyauto.jpg

sweet chad, he's got a nice auto, as most old guys too who actually took TIME and EFFORT to sign them, not just initials or blurs or stupid stickers which are crooked 99999.999% of the time!

Back
Top Bottom