Game of Thrones - group buy

I'm hopelessly addicted to breaking boxes and a long weekend combined with trying to avoid study meant that I broke some boxes today. I was just going to break a couple, but the first 2 were almost all child actors so I decided to do a bit more. I ended up breaking 5 boxes because that gets enough cards to have the full set of the chase except shadowboxes (after trading of course). Here's the haul from my 5 box break:

5 sets (2 cards off a 6th)
40 parallel cards (these are difficult to spot, make sure you count that you have 8 each box)
Quotable: Q1 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q7 Q8 Q9 (duplicates Q4 Q4 Q8)
House: H2 H3 H4 H6 H7 H8 H9 (duplicates H2 H9 H9)
Win or Die: SP1 SP2 SP3 SP5 (duplicates SP5)
Shadowbox: Tyrion Lannister

Upper limited bordered:
Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark
Jack Gleeson as Prince Joffrey Baratheon
Rory McCann as Sandor Clegan (the Hound)
Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen
Jerome Flynn as Bronn
Owen Teale as Alliser Thorne

Lower limited bordered:
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister

Upper limited full bleed:
Maisie Williams as Arya Stark
Jamie Sives as Jory Cassel
John Bradley as Samwell Tarly

The best thing about the break is the spread, no duplicate autos. I also got a pretty good collation on the chase sets. However I underscored on the shadowbox cards and also the lower end limited autos since I got almost all upper end.

I finished my box break. The hits I ended up with were:

Autos: Hodor and Khal Drago
ShadowBox: Cersei Lannister

I got the 8 parallels, 2 quotables and 2 house cards (Lannister and Tyrell) and 1 win or die (Daenerys Targaryen).

I have hardly been home so haven't had a chance to scan them I'll try to do that over the next couple of days.

Got my boxes this morning, thanks! :)

Box 1 #9137/9500
Base Parallels: 12, 23, 25, 40, 57, 64, 67 & 71
Quotables: Q2 & Q5
Win or Die: SP3
House: Frey & Targaryen
Shadowbox: Jon Snow
Autos: Full-bleed: Elyes Gabel as Rakharo & Bordered: Ian McElhinney as Barristan Selmy

Box 2 #8126/9500
Base Parallels: 05, 10, 20,35, 46, 49, 50, 59
Quotables: Q1 & Q7
Win or Die: SP2
House: Arryn & Lannister
Shadowbox: Robb Stark
Autos: Full-bleed: John Bradley as Samwell Tarly & Bordered: Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon

Box 3 #117/9500
Base Parallels 08,17,26,34,51,61 & 70
Quotables Q3 & Q5
Win or Die: SP1
House: Frey & Tully
Shadowbox: Eddard Stark
Autos: Art Parkinson as Rickon Stark & Julian Glover as Grand Master Pycelle (Both were Full-Bleed ones)

Here are the scans:
img393.jpg

img394.jpg

img395.jpg

Wow, 3 shadowbox cards: they are 1 per 2 boxes so you did very well there. The Art Parkinson is a slight rarer auto as well.

so, where's all the other breaks? I finally got round to scanning. I figured the autos and shadowbox were really the only ones not already seen. Also, the 3 case incentive arrived this week (my dealer sends them out separately). This is an excellent bonus as, apart from being a nice card, I can use it to make up the exchange rate loss and will remove the price increase I had been intending for additional boxes.

GOT 1.JPG

GOT 2.JPG

Nice haul... Would be interesting to hear of the other breaks to know if there is such a thing as a "case hit" or even the number of Low versus High limited autos in a case...

Not sure that it was all that wise for them to have two of the most popular character's Autos as (mostly) case buy incentives... I think it'll kill extra box sales as everyone will go to ebay for auto's after they've got their base sets ???

... I think it'll kill extra box sales as everyone will go to ebay for auto's after they've got their base sets ???

Maybe, but there appears to be about 3 rarer autos per case. Since there's so many different autos, there's little repetition so a box gets you 2 probably new autos, plus the chase cards, even if you don't 'hit'. I think the sweet spot is about 4-5 boxes. Then you have most of the chase cards (still some shadowbox short) and a range of autos, likely including one of the rarer autos.

I actually quite like having some more popular autos as incentive cards. Rittenhouse used to place some of them in boxes as well so there was a (lower) chance of pulling one as well, but they don't always do that any more. The reason I like valuable cards as incentives is that it keeps the box price down - my dealer essentially sells to me with very little mark up because he makes his money on the incentives. Lower box price means I either buy more boxes or use some of the money towards incentive cards.

Because all the dealers release the incentive cards at about the same time, I think there is much greater supply than there would be if they were in boxes. If collectors pulled them, there would be very few available and the prices would be very high. Sure, you'd have a chance to get one by breaking, but most of the time you wouldn't so you'd actually end up paying a lot more.

Got around to busting mine, here's the scans -

GoT-Quotables.jpg

GoT-Autos.jpg

GoT-HouseShields.jpg

Keen to trade for John Snow, Arya Stark, Khal Drogo.

Back
Top Bottom