Fanatics latest move...

taffster74

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jason
Three years ahead of schedule, fanatics acquired the exclusive license with the nflpa, thus effectively ending panini football. What does this mean for the nba as the nba license was allegedly going to fanatics at the same time as nfl. Thoughts?

It depends on whether the NBA has structured their contract in a way that allows them to terminate it at will, due to a contractual failure by Panini (likely), and whether they see a need to exercise it, and how quickly.

This is my take on it!

This news today appears to be a ploy to get Panini to agree on a price to hand over the licences early.

I do remember in the Fanatics/Panini lawsuit that Panini was inflating their revenue stream to increase the amount that Fanatics would pay for the licences to be handed back early and take over. If i'm not mistaken the NFLPA has a stake in Fanatics so with the lawsuit Panini brought against Fanatics it was essentially Panini suing the NFLPA albeit through Fanatics.

With that fact the NFLPA says well if you are suing us, we are out and the value of the Panini licences goes from a high figure they were pushing to something that has lost tremendous value.

My bet is Fanatics comes back with a buyout figure for Panini that is close/slightly less than what they previously offered to either sell the licences to them now, or face the option of blowing a heap of cash in legal bills and lost revenue over the next few years fighting it in the courts.

Either way Fanatics still gets the licences from 25/26 or thereabouts. (edited)

Honestly, from the box breaks I have been seeing for baseball on youtube, I would hope Fanatics get their hands on the licence soon. After looking at how cheap Panini has been producing cards and all their screw ups in packaging, redeptions, cheap looking and produced cards, I am over them. Also, Fanatics hold a majority stake if not all of it in CGC Grading, I am wondering if it would be worth getting a card graded by them as its cheaper than PSA and might be looking to make a run at PSA and Becketts. I would not be surprised to see boxes of Topps products released with a graded card. I know PSA is the "Resale" kings of graded cards, however they are so damn expensive now. I have 30 cards I NEED graded and can't seem to pull the trigger on getting even one done.

Leaf being un-licenced creates better looking cards than Panini. I was so shocked in the stock qaulity of the Prizm last year I just passed on it though there was some awesome rookies in that release.

To me, Bowman Chrome, Topps Chrome and Stadium Club created some of the best chase cards hands down. I am hoping to see NBA and NFL in these brands soon.

Now to bring back a few Fleer/Skybox products that are licenced and I can be in heaven. Hell, I even been on a small chase for old Flair cards. They were so well made and very appealing.

Am I right in thinking this could get very messy over the next few years if Panini decides to stick its heels in?

Panini still has all of the NFL logo rights but only limited player contracts for auto's etc, especially rookies, which will cheapen the value of their products.

Fanatics can produce NFL cards but without logo's which no one likes, however they will have the signing rights with an ever growing number of players, especially rookies.

I think this situation is going to force Panini to sell their rights early especially if their court case fails.

Also, how quickly could Fanatics start producing product?

I would think tomorrow as they already have Topps going. Artwork is the easy part as I am sure they have been working on it for a good time expecting to get the licensing. Panini is screwed and only have themselves to blame.

Back
Top Bottom