Collecting Advice

Telfs Card Park

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Tom Telfer
eBay User
dynastysportscentral
I am pretty new to NBA collecting and currently team collect in the AFL/NRL. The Spurs are my team and while I would like to team collect them with 18,000 odd cards out there I also want something achievable. Player collecting is an option and I thought maybe I could pick 5 Spurs players as my starting five and then when I box bust I will keep any Spurs cards and trade off for the 5 I select. I wanted a mix of old and new so here is the list I intend to pick from:

George Gervin
Manu Ginobili
Tiago Splitter
Patty Mills
Avery Johnson
Sean Elliott
DeJuan Blair
Richard Jefferson

Any feedback as to who should be my starting 5 or how you best collect your team with an achievable focus in mind?

Id go for a legend Gervin and maybe someone like Elliott or Avery. Lots of nice cards that wont break the bank!

Telf,
Im a Spurs collector, unfortunately I chose the 'everything goal'.
My main focus is Gervin autos though, for a Hall of Famer there are plenty out
there that are fairly affordable.
Mills has the bonus of being an Aussie, but only a handful of cards in his Blazers uni, and
by all reports will be waived anyway so maybe dont choose him.

Sean Elliott I used to love and he still appears in plenty of current day sets which is great,
I reckon you'd get a good span of eras of cards if you collected him, has a few autos to
aim for as well.

Jefferson is now elsewhere and most of his good cards are in a Nets uni.

Splitter looks like he's coming along OK, not a lot of cards so far, a few sought autos,
could be a good one to pick.

Of course the 'big 4' of collecting Spurs would be Duncan, Robinson, Ginobili and Parker.
To target one of these guys would be more expensive and a lot of cards, but a fun and
challenging chase.

I have boxes of doubles, let me know who you choose and I can send some stuff your way!

There are quite a few very passionate Spurs collectors with great collections on here, so
you'll no doubt have plenty of people who could advise also..

Good Luck!

Thanks for the heads up mate, if I only collected NBA I would go all in but its just not feasible with all the big 4 high end stuff. WOuld be nice to actually have a complete collection of something which I have failed to do thus far!

Avery, Elliott & Gervin are popping up more and more with Panini releases, so that could be a good starting ground for you. Go back and try to grab their Rookies too.

good to see another Spurs collector around, as the boys have said there are heaps of new products with Spurs cards coming out, i was also collecting every spurs player but have cut down to Gervin/Parker/Ginobili/Robinson & Leonard now i have heaps of spurs cards laying around aswell mainly base but i have jerseys & patches and some autos for sale. If u need any more info im happy to help out mate! Goodluck

I have some 90s base and low inserts of Avery and Elliott which I can send you, also have this if you want it.

P3050013.jpg

Big fan of Blair! I'd go with a legend and a Youngster. Gervin has some awesome cards, highends that aren't that expensive, exquisites included! Blair has massive potential and sweet patches!

Thats the problem I had at the start, too much high end stuff and too much in total 18,000 odd cards. Is it possible to have a satisfying PC when you have no chance to complete it is the question I keep asking myself

Thats the problem I had at the start, too much high end stuff and too much in total 18,000 odd cards. Is it possible to have a satisfying PC when you have no chance to complete it is the question I keep asking myself

Will you dont need every card! I started as only collecting JR Smith, but soon picked up most of his highend I liked, got bored. So branched out to Kobe and other highend cards.

I still recomend sticking with only a couple over 6 or 7 players. Would cost you a fortune to focus on that many, not to mention time consuming. Blair is a great player to start with, has a couple of colletors here who collect him that I am positive they could give you a few good tips. He has some awesome rookie autos and his NT rc patch auto is awesome!

from personal experience, I prefer just the 2 player PC's, 1 young player and 1 retired player as it lets me collect alot of the great stuff from the 90's and alot of the nice stuff that's released now. So I think if you maintain a mix of new and old players it will help satisfy your collector cravings :)

Back
Top Bottom