Buying a box vs buying here or ebay

Jalbert009

OzCardTrader
Real Name
John Flores
Hello everyone! I have collected nba cards on and off over the years and have only focused on the low end scale of the hobby. I have always followed the NBA and have decided to collect again only this time i want to get into the mid scale of cards and possibly the high end eventually.

My question is, Is it really worth me breaking a box worth $100 - $200 and get random cards that i may or may not need vs going on the sale forum here and be able to buy $3 - $10 GU cards and $10 - $20 Autos that I really want.

By the way, my collection will consist of only x2 NBA all stars or ALL NBA Team players appearances. I will allocate 9 cards / 1 page per player and then I will exclusive collect Kevin Garnett and Kevin Durant.

Feed Back is appreciated.

Buy what you actually want. Breaks can be fun but they can be brutal. You are far better off purchasing the cards you particularly like of the players you like. You could get 10-20 cheaper autos or relic cards or risk the same amount on a box that's worthless to you.

The box can be good if your chasing a set as you fill your base and "might" snag a good auto or GU but if you are solely focused on 1 thing definitely by singles as you can spend that hungy on a single awesome auto/patch or a couple of mid levels. I agree with shawnkemp40 about the group breaks, I've done a few and not really hit anything awesome to be honest I've pulled better cards from boxes but you do get that shot at high end cards for a lowish buy in. Nothing worse though than kicking in $50 for a break and just watching it get flushed down the toilet when you get nothing except for a consolation free pack

I mix it up. I spend 90% of my money on singles I need yet once a year I go out and get 3-5 boxes from dacardworld.com for a bit of fun knowing I will probably not see 50% of my cash back but there's worse ways to spend cash and it is a lot of fun.

If you're only chasing one or two particular players, then buying their cards is probably the way to go.

Personally, i love the fun of busting boxes. I have also found that it is reasonably easy to trade any good cards that i pull from a box for the players that i am chasing. I'd struggle to buy the Steph Curry cards that i want, but can often find someone that is willing to trade for a Durant or Kobe that i have pulled from a box!

Wilko.

High Res Clutch Cards.png

High Res Clutch Cards.png

Back
Top Bottom