Buckley to Announce Retirement

Benny J

Mr Big Shot...
Real Name
Ben
eBay User
15DVS
Collingwood legend Nathan Buckley will announce his retirement within the next 2 days.

Buckley tweaked his hamstring in Collingwood's preliminary final loss to Geelong.

Buckley is one of the best players seen in the black & white, and one of the greatest we will see.

It's going to be hard getting used to not seeing Buckley with the number 5 black & white on his back.

From all Collingwood supporters, congratulations on an amazing career, and all the best for the future we will miss you.

big news there...cant say im sad to see him go as i never liked him or his sheep dog playing style...

Thats a big blow to the Pies; wonder who will be captain next year, one of the older players such as Burns, Rocca, Licuria, Lockyer or Fraser, or a young gun such as Thomas, Travis Cloke, Nick Maxwell (who has been bandied around in the papers recently as a good future captain), Swan, Heath Shaw or Harry O'Brien?

Anyways, back to Buckley.

He was a damn fine footballer, with some of the most exquisite foot skills you will ever see, and the rest of his game was super as well.

He won't be remembered as the best Magpie of all time, as he will suffer from not playing in any premierships and in a club with such as rich history, but he will rightly take his place amongst the best of Victoria Park.

As a fan of the game, he will be missed, and I know my old man will miss him; for a while in the 90's he was the only good thing about the Pies.

farewell Bucks. You are a champ. Now it is time to start getting ready to coach the Mighty Magpies.

Floreat Pica

I'll be sad to see him go but i think he had to. Its funny how a player such as buckley, hird and such touch so many people (and not in a michael jackson way). When it was announced today i saw it on TV with my son beside me and my son asked what was happening and i told him. My son then started crying as we were ment to go see a game this year when bucks was playing but we it came about my son was in hospital so he never got to see the great man. Alot of champs retired this year, the game is gonna look alot different next season with no hird, bucks, roo and with judd more than likely wearing blue!! Bring on 08 i say, on a side note i think Maxwell or tarks should captain next year.

I'll be sad to see him go but i think he had to. Its funny how a player such as buckley, hird and such touch so many people (and not in a michael jackson way). When it was announced today i saw it on TV with my son beside me and my son asked what was happening and i told him. My son then started crying as we were ment to go see a game this year when bucks was playing but we it came about my son was in hospital so he never got to see the great man. Alot of champs retired this year, the game is gonna look alot different next season with no hird, bucks, roo and with judd more than likely wearing blue!! Bring on 08 i say, on a side note i think Maxwell or tarks should captain next year.

I reckon Tarkyn is a lock for it. Maxwell a little too young just now and can take over from Tarkyn :)

Well done Bucks an outstanding career. He might not have won a grand final but may great players have not won Premierships. Just a few facts on the great man.

Bucks won the following awards.

Magarey Medal 1992
Jack Oatey Medal 1992
A.R. McLean Medal 1992
Jesaulenko Medal 1997
AFL Rising Star award winner 1993
Copeland Trophy winner 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003
All-Australian 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003
International rules series captain 1998
Norm Smith Medal winner 2002
Brownlow Medal winner 2003

Well said theflyinggerco

big news there...cant say im sad to see him go as i never liked him or his sheep dog playing style...

Nope I didn't like him much either.....glad he missed out on three Premierships he could have had at Brisbane :p

Congrats on a great career though !

Great player, but one comment will always stand out for me. Apparently he was heading to Collingwood to win a Grand Final. Brisbane were never going to look like it. :)

Back
Top Bottom