Breaking a BGS slab

sjay2k

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Scott
eBay User
sjay2k
I have been slowly working on my set chase for 15/16 Prizm Golds.

I bought the Myles Turner RC as a BGS 9.

I have them all in a binder (I started with all 400 of the base versions and have been adding the gold versions when I get them), so I was thinking about breaking this slab so I could add the Turner to my album.

Would this harm the value much/at all? Does anyone have a trick for opening the slab as easily as possible without possibly damaging the card?

Cheers :) IMG_1828[1].JPG

Hey Mate

I've cracked a few out of Slabs and have found there is no real technique to it as some sections are tighter than others,the main thing I do is always do is start the cracking or breaking around the top of the slab where the grading is, just so your not chipping things away around the card, you will need a flat head screwdriver and a little hammer to tap it with, put the screwdriver in between the inner and outer case and tap it with the hammer until it breaks the seal or some of the plastic chips away.
There are a few videos on YouTube which are pretty helpful if you want to check them out.

I'm sure everyone does it differently and others may have better techniques but I haven't damaged a card yet

Good luck!

I just use pliers and chip away at it.... as mentioned starting at the top where you can go a little harder. Then down the side a bit until it will pull apart.

Best tip is to put in in a plastic bag while you do it so there isn't bits of plastic everywhere to try and clean up.

#setitfree

Set that sucker free!

I would be close to 100 evictions now I think

I first started doing them by using secateurs or tin snips to take a top corner off but now use a hacksaw to take the corner off.

Grab a flat head screw driver and ply it in between the two peices of slab and pry away, cant really go too wrong I have never damaged any I have done.

in terms of the value part, 9.5 or 10 definitely hold more value than raw, 9 is probably slightly more or break even than raw anything 8.5 you are probably doing it a favour breaking it out. only exception is vintage cards

Raw cards at times sell more than bgs 9's anyway, if its not 9.5 free it up i say.

Back
Top Bottom