Big big big 1997/98 mail!

bjs127

Cricket card fanatic
Real Name
Brad
eBay User
bjs127
I can't remember the last time I was this excited about doing a mailday!! :kick:

And can I say great to see so much buzz and excitement around the cricket forums again with the BBL 12/13 SEP release. How good is it to go and bust some new cricket product again??!! For a first crack I think SEP have done a very good job.

Anyway back on topic :) - this beauty of a mailday has been in the pipeline for about 18 months......in fact I was hoping to have it locked away before xmas last year, but it has taken a little longer than expected. Massively worth the wait though!

It's a fitting time to showcase it given 2012/13 is the 15 year anniversary of this 1997/98 release, Select's first crack in the cricket card market, and did they nail it or what. Love this set, especially the captains insert cards. Unfortunately you won't see any of those here today though. Well......maybe two ;)

The redemptions from this series are still right up there as just about my favourites of all time from a design point of view - simple but visually stunning, with great players chosen.

So here goes....enjoy!! :hearts:

SS1a.jpg

SS1b.jpg

SS2a.jpg

SS2b.jpg

SS3a.jpg

SS3b.jpg

SS4a.jpg

SS4b.jpg

SS5a.jpg

SS5b.jpg

SS6a.jpg

SS6b.jpg

And the icing on the cake! :goat:

SS7a.jpg

SS7b.jpg

And just to summarise ... :whistle:

IMG_0950.jpg

Thanks for looking!

BOOM!!!! :thumbsup:

Brad

I don't know whether to :eek: , :worthy:, =D> , :cry:, :hearts: or :mad:!

Seriously mate, best mailday by far that I've ever seen! Absolutely amazing Brad, well done!

Brilliant mail day Brad yet again. Well done.
Love seeing your mail days as they are always so enviable.

My select sigs from that year are all number 60 which I was pleased about till I saw you have all number 2!!! Lol
Think it's my favourite sig series for design and players available

When is the next mail day coming in? Not sure what can beat this one.

OMG!!!!!

How the F&$4 did you manage to get all of them?

Did you buy of multiple people or just the one.......that is amazing!

Woooow! Thats friggin awesome!

Yeh we all wanna know, howd you get them to match? Still got both legs or did you have to sell one?

Can i have a guess Brad, the person who originally got these were probably a very big seller at the time. Busted heaps and got Select to hold all the #002's for him? Am i close??? I really cant see anyone being able to chase these one at a time, 99.9% impossible and would take 40+ years, someone redeemed them at the same time. Thing that gets me is they would have to have busted like massive amounts to get one of each redemption card. But to get all of them and send them in to Select before anyone else got theirs in is just crazy. Somehow i dont think Select issued in order of reciept that year :crazy:

Very nice Brad!! Has been a while hasn't it?? Glad I could take a few cards off your hands so you could get these beauties!!

Thanks guys. This has been a big wait for these cards, so pleased to finally close this deal out.

To answer your questions.....I knew a big collector who had been suggesting for a while that he was going to sell up. Fortunately after waiting for nearly 2 years he finally decided it was time to get out and I was lucky enough to be given first crack at his collection, which was superb. I added a number of cards that I was chasing, and another great OCT member was also in the market for autos at the time.......so between us we were able to give him fairly significant sums of cash(!) and land numerous cards we both needed. Basically this complete set of 002s was the one set I was really struggling to pay for, so I sold Grant (boomboom-84) a couple of Bradmans that I couldn't keep to help cover some extra payments and set up a payment plan. There was also another seller who popped up at the same time with some high-end Bradman cards to get rid of which was the classic case of when it rains it pours. Both of us worked pretty hard to make sure we could get everything we wanted because we knew this might be our one and only chance to hit what we needed. Time has shown that most of this stuff hasn't surfaced again since, so I'm glad we stretched ourselves when we did!

I missed a couple of questions:

Aidan - Warne is 002/100. No idea why they used a crap yellow colour for the number, you cannot see it at all well, even with the naked eye. Shame it was not a signature card, it would have been even better.

Alex: I have a pic of your set numbered the same still saved in my cricket folder - it was the only 97/98 redemption set I had seen that was the same number. You did well redeeming them at the same time back in the day. I bought 4 boxes when released but pulled no autos! :cry:

Daz: Mate I had already sold off my 3 or 4 sigs from this set a year or so ago to help fund the purchase of these ones, sorry mate. I am sure Sportscardworld have the Warne showtime for sale at the moment, I saw it in there the other day.....think they are asking $275.

Grant: I said 18 months ago, I reckon it was more like 2 and a half years ago! Time flies when you are chasing cardboard!! Good to see you back on here buddy :thumbsup:

I'm hoping for one final high-end mailday before the end of the year.....fingers crossed I can get it organised before the end of the year :hearts:

Back
Top Bottom