Basketball Hall of Fame Debate

Should the standards for getting into the HOF be increased or made public to allow clarification?

• Yes! Way too many unworthy players in there!

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Yes. It would allow people to know why someone got in or why they were denied

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • No! Perfect the way it is.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • No. Making judges/criteria public would allow influence/tampering

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Based on that system, Dirk Nowitzki gets just 69. Certainly not enough to "warrant" the selection, but I can guarantee he'll be entering that HOF!
15 + 20 + 6 + 0 + 20 + 3 + 5 = 69

Steve Nash - Yes - Most achieved player to never win a championship??
Vince Carter - No
Yao Ming - No
Tracy McGrady - No
Derek Fisher - No
Ray Allen - No
Chris Webber - No
Bill Laimbeer - No
Jermaine O'Neal - No
Chauncey Billups - No
Pau Gasol - No
Grant Hill - No
Stephon Marbury - No
Ben Wallace - Yes - Champion, All-Star and one of the best defenders this game's ever seen
Chris Bosh - No - Sure, the 20k points and 10k rebounds would help, but he's not going to get there. - 4yrs might get him the points, but he's going to need around 8yrs for those rebounds to rack up.

Steve Nash - Yes, two time MVP is a sure thing.
Vince Carter - No. Not enough team success or transcedent individual success on his CV. More chance than his cousin T-Mac though.
Yao Ming - Yes - based on international role more than NBA career.
Tracy McGrady - No. Brilliant at his peak but not consistent enough over a long period, nor any team success.
Derek Fisher - No.
Ray Allen - Yes. All time leader in three pointers, a ring in his prime and a shot to win another one + Olympic gold get him over the line. Probably first ballot.
Chris Webber - No. Borderline as he was one of the best two or three players in the game in his best seasons - but didn't sustain them for long enough. Injury again a big factor.
Bill Laimbeer - No.
Jermaine O'Neal - No.
Chauncey Billups - Yes. He will get in eventually - very similar career to Joe Dumars with the Finals MVP getting him over the line.
Pau Gasol - Yes - 2 Championships and a great international career.
Grant Hill - Yes. 2 NCAA Championships, great individual career and a gold medal get him there.
Stephon Marbury - No.
Ben Wallace - No - but he could sneak in on the back of 4 DPoY awards and his Championship. That is quite a resume.
Chris Bosh - No, but time enough to make a case yet. Needs to get his stats back up there now LeBron is gone - 20,000 points & 10,000 rebounds + 2 rings should equal HoF.

I'm going to have to disagree with a few of these.

VC = yes, easily
Webber = yes, was a part of a team that changed College basketball, plus has the accolades to back it up.
Laimbeer = yes, anybody that's such a huge part of a team that got through the Cs and the Lakers will go in the hall.
B. Wallace = YES!!!! He was a defensive beast.

Great topic for discussion.

I think it's fine the way it is. There is a process in place and it works well.

Does Richmond deserve to go through? The stats say yes. He was on a losing team for so long though, but he was such a great shooter. At the end of the day, he beat out somebody to become a finalist. The other candidates must not have stacked up.

Maybe they need to hurry the system a little, I mean Shaq and a few others like Iverson and VC should be in soon. We're about to see TD, KG, PP and Kobe retire, they're all next in line.

Based on that system, Dirk Nowitzki gets just 69. Certainly not enough to "warrant" the selection, but I can guarantee he'll be entering that HOF!
15 + 20 + 6 + 0 + 20 + 3 + 5 = 69

Steve Nash - Yes - Most achieved player to never win a championship??
Vince Carter - No
Yao Ming - No
Tracy McGrady - No
Derek Fisher - No
Ray Allen - No
Chris Webber - No
Bill Laimbeer - No
Jermaine O'Neal - No
Chauncey Billups - No
Pau Gasol - No
Grant Hill - No
Stephon Marbury - No
Ben Wallace - Yes - Champion, All-Star and one of the best defenders this game's ever seen
Chris Bosh - No - Sure, the 20k points and 10k rebounds would help, but he's not going to get there. - 4yrs might get him the points, but he's going to need around 8yrs for those rebounds to rack up.

What????

Most of these guys will be IN and well deserved.

Great topic for discussion.

I think it's fine the way it is. There is a process in place and it works well.

Does Richmond deserve to go through? The stats say yes. He was on a losing team for so long though, but he was such a great shooter. At the end of the day, he beat out somebody to become a finalist. The other candidates must not have stacked up.

Maybe they need to hurry the system a little, I mean Shaq and a few others like Iverson and VC should be in soon. We're about to see TD, KG, PP and Kobe retire, they're all next in line.

My point for bringing it up was the process was not working well I think they're putting too many people in. I know it's a fine line but are you happy with 1000 people in there instead making it tougher and only taking a fifth of those?

I think they need to cut back, even take some people out :lol: It's a Hall of Fame, you should have done something extraordinary, something that changed the game. Vince Carter revolutionised dunking but then will have also scored plenty of points, been a multiple time All Star etc etc.

I dunno, when I think wow Hall of Fame!!! Mitch Richmond doesn't come to mind.... Bill Russell does. Jordan. Shaq. The All Timers. I think the Hall is too watered down.

My point for bringing it up was the process was not working well I think they're putting too many people in. I know it's a fine line but are you happy with 1000 people in there instead making it tougher and only taking a fifth of those?

I think they need to cut back, even take some people out :lol: It's a Hall of Fame, you should have done something extraordinary, something that changed the game. Vince Carter revolutionised dunking but then will have also scored plenty of points, been a multiple time All Star etc etc.

I dunno, when I think wow Hall of Fame!!! Mitch Richmond doesn't come to mind.... Bill Russell does. Jordan. Shaq. The All Timers. I think the Hall is too watered down.
What are your thoughts on the Glove? I did the numbers and he got a 60. Saying that the rating system you linked above doesn't take into account things like all-nba all-defensive teams etc. but I'm assuming these all play a part in the decision?

Richmond was in the all nba team quite frequently. Sure he wasn't the greatest ever, but he was a part of run tmc. If you had a list of guys, sure, but saying one guy that you don't think should be in there doesn't mean it's time to change the system. Didn't he also play for the USA?

I know what you're getting at, but it's not as if they're letting in scrub guys. All NBA, multiple all star appearances and team USA is kind of a big deal. Richmond probably came at a good time though, another 5 year's and he may not be a finalist.

What are your thoughts on the Glove? I did the numbers and he got a 60. Saying that the rating system you linked above doesn't take into account things like all-nba all-defensive teams etc. but I'm assuming these all play a part in the decision?

I think they'd be factored in by an actual HOF panel member for sure and if they weren't then then that's a flaw in the system! A perfect reason for wanting more transparency to the process. I think it'd be interesting to know.

Only using the above system because it's something I seen. Short of making my own system or adding to that one it's the best I can see so far.

Payton in for sure. Points, steals, 9 all stars, 9 all defensive teams? Insane.

http://stats.nba.com/playerProfile.html?PlayerID=56

Richmond was in the all nba team quite frequently. Sure he wasn't the greatest ever, but he was a part of run tmc. If you had a list of guys, sure, but saying one guy that you don't think should be in there doesn't mean it's time to change the system. Didn't he also play for the USA?

I know what you're getting at, but it's not as if they're letting in scrub guys. All NBA, multiple all star appearances and team USA is kind of a big deal. Richmond probably came at a good time though, another 5 year's and he may not be a finalist.

Speaking of TMC, tim hardaway was a finalist, but did not make the final cut. Selection process might be working well. Besides, basketball has expanded exponentially, expect more players to make HOF (i.e. top x% of all players)

c webb no!! oh thats not right , this guy was amazing to watch and good numbers to , not to mention his rookie stats!

But in times when the NBA was short of "standout" players, they're bound to make All NBA lists.

Mitch Richmond for me = yes.

What????

Most of these guys will be IN and well deserved.

Honestly, these guys are All-Stars, nothing more. Perhaps Allen, Laimbeer & Billups.

Vince Carter - ROY & 8x All-Star
Yao Ming - 8x All-Star as voted in by the country with the worlds highest population
Tracy McGrady - 2x Scoring Champ, 7x All-Star
Derek Fisher - 5x Champion, that's it. Ron Harper and Steve Kerr also have 5 rings...
Ray Allen - Maybe could have been a yes. 2x Champion, 10x All-Star and all-time 3pt leader
Chris Webber - ROY and 5x All-Star
Bill Laimbeer - Rebound Champ (had NOTHING else that year), 2x Champion & 4x All-Star
Jermaine O'Neal - Err, NOPE.
Chauncey Billups - Champion, Finals MVP & 5x All-Star
Pau Gasol - ROY, 2x Champion, 4x All-Star
Grant Hill - Same as Vince basically. ROY & 7x All-Star
Stephon Marbury - Pfft! It's like saying Steve Francis will be HOF
(if it matters, Steph was a 2x All-Star - Heck, if if Steph makes it, Vin Baker's a shoe in!!!)

But in times when the NBA was short of "standout" players, they're bound to make All NBA lists.

Mitch Richmond for me = yes.

Honestly, these guys are All-Stars, nothing more. Perhaps Allen, Laimbeer & Billups.

Vince Carter - ROY & 8x All-Star
Yao Ming - 8x All-Star as voted in by the country with the worlds highest population
Tracy McGrady - 2x Scoring Champ, 7x All-Star
Derek Fisher - 5x Champion, that's it. Ron Harper and Steve Kerr also have 5 rings...
Ray Allen - Maybe could have been a yes. 2x Champion, 10x All-Star and all-time 3pt leader
Chris Webber - ROY and 5x All-Star
Bill Laimbeer - Rebound Champ (had NOTHING else that year), 2x Champion & 4x All-Star
Jermaine O'Neal - Err, NOPE.
Chauncey Billups - Champion, Finals MVP & 5x All-Star
Pau Gasol - ROY, 2x Champion, 4x All-Star
Grant Hill - Same as Vince basically. ROY & 7x All-Star
Stephon Marbury - Pfft! It's like saying Steve Francis will be HOF
(if it matters, Steph was a 2x All-Star - Heck, if if Steph makes it, Vin Baker's a shoe in!!!)

Nobody is arguing J. O'Neal, Marbury and Fisher, so delete those guys from your argument.

You say MAYBE TO RAY RAY??? WOW.

100% IN
VC
Yao (the guy brought a billion extra NBA fans with him, this is exactly the reason the NBA is growing outside of the US)
Ray Allen any day of the week
Pau

Not first ballot but should get in eventually:
Webber
Billups
Hill

50/50 they get in
Mcgrady
Laimbeer

0% chance:
O'Neal and Marbury

Standard of people inducted should be raised with the overall level of basketball do you think?

Let's look at the info they have there for 1993 Inductee Calvin Murphy :

NBA All-Star (1979)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (1971)
J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award (1979)
2× Consensus NCAA All-American First Team (1969–1970)
Consensus NCAA All-American Second Team (1968)

Further info from nba.com

18000 career points, 2100 rebounds, 4400 assists and 1100 steals over 1000 games for career averages 18pts 2reb 4.5ast

This guy was a PG but comparing to Vince Carter for example VC will end up with WAY more on his resume as well as influencing a generation of dunkers. So in 1993, looking back, was Calvin Murphy worthy? They obviously thought so. Maybe in combination with the 2 NCAA All Americans?
I would have him taken out. Harsh, but in the new world of MY Hall of Fame, he don't cut it.

I hope noone is getting too offended or upset over the back and forth here! All in good fun and for the sake of talking about bball in the slowwww offseason ;)

Nobody is arguing J. O'Neal, Marbury and Fisher, so delete those guys from your argument.

You say MAYBE TO RAY RAY??? WOW.

100% IN
VC
Yao (the guy brought a billion extra NBA fans with him, this is exactly the reason the NBA is growing outside of the US)
Ray Allen any day of the week
Pau

Not first ballot but should get in eventually:
Webber
Billups
Hill

50/50 they get in
Mcgrady
Laimbeer

0% chance:
O'Neal and Marbury

I guess that's where opinions differ bud. I mean Yao brought a billion fans and a few million bucks worth of revenue to the game, so that's an automatic in??

Back
Top Bottom