At what point are PC cards no longer PC cards?

drob50

Magic Johnson and David Robinson ON CARD autos
Real Name
Adam
eBay User
None
I think we have talked many times about similar questions to this, but my question is more specific than others.

Say you are a player or set collector and all of a sudden, the player or set has a major spike in price and is worth more than you are prepared to spend. When do you decide to sell up? Obviously, if the prices are rising, that means that the value of your existing PC has risen too, but my question is, at what point will you sell and reap some of the rewards?

For example - Kawhi Leonard!

I have been collecting Leonard for a fair while now, but lately, there has been a few more people collecting him than in the past, which is to be expected when someone is playing very well.

Whenever I saw a card that was /10 or even rarer, I was jumping on them. I usually had to pay anywhere from $30 up to $75, depending on what type of card it was.

But lately, there has been a few cards that are going for astronomical prices!

This made me think. What offer would I need to get on my cards before I would sell. Say you bought a rare card for $70. How much would the offer have to be for you to sell. If you did sell this particular card, would you then sell the rest?

I have always treated this as a hobby, so I am not just in it to profit (refer DeJuan Blair PC), but if I have a chance to get a lot more back than I paid, which allows me to buy more nice cards, I will do it! Also, and I think this is the key, I ALWAYS know what I am prepared to spend on a card.Just because some people are paying $150 for a basic patch card of Leonard, doesn't mean I will!

Now I want to know where you guys draw the line??

Discuss!

For me, I just have fun, truly a hobby, their value means nothing to me. I wouldn't sell them.
But if your in need of cash, and you've made a profit, why not.

My JR's & Kobe's are no go zones, no matter how much they rise or go down in price. But on the other hand, I got bored of my highend pc, so I sold off some of it and moved it to buy more pc cards! Just to stop me from leaving the hobby and to keep my interest levels up!

i been collecting d rose gold standard for nearlly 1 year... i drew the line a few weeks back. Found his gold logo man auto /5, a black gold prime patch /3 , signs of gold numbered to /10 and a dual prime patch with scottie pippen numbered to /3.
i approached all these members and this is the result
Gold patch logo /5 = $900
black gold prime patch = $400
signs of gold was at $1200!!! on ebay but has dropped to $899
dual prime rose/pippen /3 = $550
base parallel 1/1 = $500!!

after seeing these prices i am slowly giving up due to the set chase having over 10 #/5 cards which as u can see people are asking for huge prices. I did manage to get some rare gold standard rose cards but as u have stated sometimes its time to go... soon as rose comes back and hopefully hits peak, these prices will only get higher. thats when ill sell.you sell when the player is at high demand dude. I wont have a problem with d rose as he wil prob be a hall of famer if he comes back the way he left.

Cool topic. I am quite attached to my collection and so far being lucky not have to have fire sale when money are tight.:ermm: I see my PC as some kind of entertainment / reward to my self after going through hard day at work.
I was contemplating to sell some of MJ Gem when their prices went up however then the thought that I may have to pay more in the near future if I decided to get the same gem card-made me abandon that idea:confused:
I have a quarterly budget that I try very hard to meet in order to limit my purchase.:red:

How about just keeping a small but quality Kawhi pc and sell the rest?
Im pretty you could finish that top 50 auto chase with the money youd get from selling up...

It is a very hard question to answer not a lot of people start out to collect a huge collection it is a very addictive disease to collect something. It all comes down to how much money does an individual wants to spend. When a card that you have appreciates in value 70% of people will see dollar signed turning in there eyeballs but 99% percent of us will agree that it was a good purchase and will be happy at there choice of buying thinking that it was worth the investment. Even if it was not the reason you bought it for. Hobby, investment or for what ever reason we buy these cards for all humans we expect collectibles to be worth more when time passes. To cash in on there purchase of any card when the time comes is a decision one will make when make for reasons of a personal choice could be endless reasons but hard to pin piont it would be like getting into someones mind. P.S if you are a into sociology stay out of my mind and head :whistle: :thumbsdown:

How about just keeping a small but quality Kawhi pc and sell the rest?
Im pretty you could finish that top 50 auto chase with the money youd get from selling up...

That's EXACTLY my thought process! I just sold one card from my Kawhi PC and with the profit alone, I can buy an On Card Auto of Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson

#winning

This is not about the money for me either, I do it for fun, but I don't just keep pouring more and more money into it, I sell to buy. I think it is a pretty safe bet that I will never get the prices that are on offer now ever again! So I think I should sell the ones that are going to be 'highly sought after'

Yeah thats been the thought process with my Melo pc as of late. Ive passed on a couple of the lower #d parallels lately.
Mainly coz i couldnt afford it lol (which btw, did u see Nate was off loading most of his pc)

....I guess i can no longer justify paying up to 50x the amount for the same card, just in a different hue

Totally how I feel with Andre Drummond cards. I haven't been picking him up majorly or anything, but mainly grabbing his cards as no Aminu's or Kemps I need have been popping up. Now it seems everyone is hyped on his potential and instead of grabbing $15 autos, the non-serial numbered stuff it $30-$40 with all the gold and that going for crazy prices. I'm going to keep picking up the low number auto and nice rc stuff but if he blows up I'd be inclined to sell up as I couldn't maintain a higher end PC.

I found when I was collecting DeMarcus Cousins I want constantly looking at re sale values and I realised this not how a PC is meant to go so I sold up.

And im glad I did and began focussing on my Nuggs PC and Im glad I did because I get excited about the smallest cards like the Julyan Stone that came in today and because I have no intention of ever parting with these I never worryabout the values. I dont think anyone would be able to get any of these Nuggets cards from me.

I have thought about it the last few months to maybe break up my Al Jefferson PC. There were months that i couldnt find one nice Big Al card to add to my pc. And just like drob said im not gonna pay top $$ for a simple patch or base parallel 1/1 just because others do.
Also with the new international shipping prices for USA sellers, its virtually impossible to pick up a regular GU for a decent amount, theres no point in paying $3 for a card and then $7 for shipping.

So i decided to focus on some of the new rookies that are actually getting some decent playing time. And its basically the only thing you can collect because its all Panini puts out in their new products (double crop 100 rookie class).

Its mainly a hobby for me, but from time to time when a player explodes i trade some of his stuff to get even nicer things back. Picked up about 10 Harden autos the last few years to get a small okc side-pc going. But when he got traded to the Rockets and exploded the first week of the regular season i decided to sell all of the non-rookie autos. And later on traded most of the rookie autos to get other nice stuff in.

I mainly collect for the fun of it and because im a huge basketball and NBA fan, but nothing in my pc is off-limits if the offer is to good to refuse. Because at the end of the day its just cardboard with ink and fabric.

I have thought about it the last few months to maybe break up my Al Jefferson PC. There were months that i couldnt find one nice Big Al card to add to my pc. And just like drob said im not gonna pay top $$ for a simple patch or base parallel 1/1 just because others do.
Also with the new international shipping prices for USA sellers, its virtually impossible to pick up a regular GU for a decent amount, theres no point in paying $3 for a card and then $7 for shipping.

So i decided to focus on some of the new rookies that are actually getting some decent playing time. And its basically the only thing you can collect because its all Panini puts out in their new products (double crop 100 rookie class).

Its mainly a hobby for me, but from time to time when a player explodes i trade some of his stuff to get even nicer things back. Picked up about 10 Harden autos the last few years to get a small okc side-pc going. But when he got traded to the Rockets and exploded the first week of the regular season i decided to sell all of the non-rookie autos. And later on traded most of the rookie autos to get other nice stuff in.

I mainly collect for the fun of it and because im a huge basketball and NBA fan, but nothing in my pc is off-limits if the offer is to good to refuse. Because at the end of the day its just cardboard with ink and fabric.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we have talked many times about similar questions to this, but my question is more specific than others.

Say you are a player or set collector and all of a sudden, the player or set has a major spike in price and is worth more than you are prepared to spend. When do you decide to sell up? Obviously, if the prices are rising, that means that the value of your existing PC has risen too, but my question is, at what point will you sell and reap some of the rewards?

For example - Kawhi Leonard!

I have been collecting Leonard for a fair while now, but lately, there has been a few more people collecting him than in the past, which is to be expected when someone is playing very well.

Whenever I saw a card that was /10 or even rarer, I was jumping on them. I usually had to pay anywhere from $30 up to $75, depending on what type of card it was.

But lately, there has been a few cards that are going for astronomical prices!

This made me think. What offer would I need to get on my cards before I would sell. Say you bought a rare card for $70. How much would the offer have to be for you to sell. If you did sell this particular card, would you then sell the rest?

I have always treated this as a hobby, so I am not just in it to profit (refer DeJuan Blair PC), but if I have a chance to get a lot more back than I paid, which allows me to buy more nice cards, I will do it! Also, and I think this is the key, I ALWAYS know what I am prepared to spend on a card.Just because some people are paying $150 for a basic patch card of Leonard, doesn't mean I will!

Now I want to know where you guys draw the line??

Discuss!

I think once that player gets to be too pricey where you can't pick up the cards you'd like, then there's nothing wrong with trading in.

Same with a set. There's ALWAYS something else that will take your fancy I reckon:)

Sometimes you do have to put prices of current cards in perspective.

A Kyrie Irving Prizm rookie auto for $2k???? You can get a Lebron James Limited Logo for that. Or a Jordan Exquisite auto. But hey, we're all allowed to spend on whatever we want.

Just like when you are talking about a Kahwi card that maybe goes for $300-$400.

Where do you draw the line??? Tough one mate, I guess when cards keep coming and going and you keep getting outbid because you're now priced out of the market.

It's no fun collecting if you're not picking up any of the cards you're chasing.

Good luck with it. Go Kawhi. If you're gonna sell, maybe wait until the Spurs win the West;) ha ha, fingers crossed.

There are no longer PC Cards when you have lost the desire to collect. That has happened to me and right now I am getting a bigger thrill from watching my bank balance grow as i slowly sell up than I did when I used to get a PC Card in.

Not leaving the hobby as waiting on plenty of redemptions plus will still bust the odd box or two plus go in case shares and the like.

It depends how much you enjoy collecting leonard, if you were to sell some of the better cards you have would you regret it later on? Me personally i find it hard to even think about giving up pc cards, to much of my time is spent thinking about the next buy rather then the next sale. If you dont see yourself adding to the pc in the near future because of crazy prices then it may be time to sell up and focus on another collecting goal.

Back
Top Bottom