Absolute introduction

Nick

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Nick
Hi guys,

I'm interested in starting a MLB card collection, but no matter how hard I look, I can't work out where to start. I was hoping someone could help.

Firstly, there seems to be a whole host of different sets to collect (Topps Bowman, 1, 2, Upper Deck, etc...). Is any one considered the 'standard', and do each cover a different thing, or are they all stand-alone?

If it's possible to answer this question, then, where's the best place to start?

Also, there doesn't seem to be anywhere in Melbourne that retails these cards. Do you all buy them from the US sites and/or eBay as boxes? Is there anywhere in Aus that these are available?

Thanks a bundle. I'm looking forward to working this out.

The best place to start is with the basic Topps or Upper Deck set from each year. There is normally a 1st and 2nd series and in some cases an update set as well that features traded players and rookies. These sets can get quite large (2009 Upper Deck MLB Ser 1 and 2 totals 940 base cards alone!!!)

Maybe go to the Upper Deck or Topps websites to check out the look of the cards and see which you prefer. (Also check out the other sets available!!) Remember there is no right or wrong set....just pick the one you like the look of the best and go from there!!!

And checkout my Ebay store and auctions for Blaster (retail) boxes, some with guaranteed Game-used cards or another Ozcards member Westriot (Gary) who has a range of MLB hobby boxes!!

So assuming I've done so, and have decided on the Topps brand, based on the look of the cards, where do I go from there? Collecting series 1 first, etc, sounds good.

In your eBay store, is the Topps w/refractor listing part of any one of these series, or separate? And is it just essentially just one huge packet of cards? What's the difference between a retail and hobby box? (Sorry about all the questions, I really appreciate the help)

The 2009 Topps box I have listed contains 2 packs - 1 pack has the Legend refractor card in it the other is a jumbo 55 card pack.

I can get 2009 Topps blaster boxes in though.

Retail boxes are usually made available through large dept stores in the US like Walmart, Target and Kmart. The odds of getting hits in blasters are sometime a lot higher and other times they are the same as hobby boxes....it depends on the product.

Hobby boxes more expensive and are only made available through hobby stores, and as has become the expectation in recent years, generally guarantee a certain amount of "hits" being game-used or autograph cards.

I collect baseball cards and started collecting game used cards and Yankees base/inserts.
When I got to 1000 Yankees cards I decided to focus on one player as my Yankees collection was getting out of control.

I decided to focus on Derek Jeter for my collection. I now have over 800 Jeter cards which include a few autos and over 100 game used.
His cards are a bit pricey so as a side interest I collect Australian born players who are playing in the MLB. My main focus is Rich Thompson but pick up the odd player now and then such as Travis Blackley, Michael Collins and Justin Huber.

I have no interest in collecting sets (it's cheaper to buy the set complete on US eBay) and recommend that you target a player or team you like and go from there.

Cheers

I have no interest in collecting sets (it's cheaper to buy the set complete on US eBay) and recommend that you target a player or team you like and go from there.

+1 to that. Focus on something specifically. Collating sets out of packs can become quite expensive, especially when we have to by OS...Maybe insert sets though? Flair have great inserts, especially back in the 90's.

As I'm mostly a Cardinals fan, I've decided to start a Pujols/Molina collection. However, this too seems fraught with insane expense, as buying any single card from o/s will cost almost $10 for shipping. Do you dudes have a better way of doing this or do you just suck it up?

You have picked a few good players there who look to start in the All Star game this year.
Pujols cards maybe a bit rich but Molina ones may be a good start.
I will not spend more than $5 for shipping from the US and you can get it much cheaper usually. The only time I go over $5 is if I really want the card.

Indeed. Love that Pujols & Molina. Do any of the guys on here have a standing order to sell those kinds of cards or anything like that? $5 seems pretty reasonable from overseas, though. This is all so overwhelming. Also, I never have any money, which I think is going to become a problem at some stage.

no money could be a problem :lol:

i wouldnt pick a certain brand as such.
pick whether you want to collect sets (i wouldnt recommend, especially living in australia), or whether you want to collect inserts/gu/autos.
either way, post what you want and im sure ppl will lend a hand.

pick whether you want to collect sets (i wouldnt recommend, especially living in australia), or whether you want to collect inserts/gu/autos.
either way, post what you want and im sure ppl will lend a hand.

I think you're right. Maybe I'll start a thread of my own now.

Thanks for you help.

I reckon try collecting the vintage. There's something classy about getting your hands on a Phil Rizzuto, Willie Mays or Duke Snider in good condition.

Back
Top Bottom