#6 picks are cursed

from the list i'd say the below 4 have all been good players.

Hersey Hawkins
Antoine Walker
Tom Gugliotta
Stacey King

Ok not superstars, but define superstar? Most superstars are taken in the top 3.

one day pick 6 will be the best one
also antonie walker u are right about him been a allstar on a crappy team

Hersey Hawkins
Antoine Walker
Tom Gugliotta
Stacey King

Ok not superstars, but define superstar? Most superstars are taken in the top 3.

That's not neccessarily true.

Hawkins was a great scorer at best, Gugliotta an All-Star at his peak but quickly fell and Stacey King wtf?!

Antoine was the only one who was great for a few seasons.

And that's not neccessarily true about superstars only being in the top 3, well mostly anyway.

Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Amare Stoudemire, Caron Butler, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, Danny Granger, Al Jefferson, Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett. None were taken in the top 3. Plenty of superstars are found from 5-20.

Hersey Hawkins
Antoine Walker
Tom Gugliotta
Stacey King

pretty close:

According to the article:

Top Five Selections

Fans of a team with a top 5 selection have much more reason to be optimistic than those who fall in the 6 – 14 range.

Of the 23 superstars who have been selected in this 20 year range, 16 of them have been selected in the first 5 picks of the draft (70%). Conversely, the top 5 picks in the draft have yielded only 15 bench players or busts. Out of 100 total picks made in the 20 years analyzed, that is a pretty good rate of return for those teams landing in the top 5.

Of the 16 superstars selected, half of them have been selected first overall. Now, this should be good news for Raptors fans this year, but isn’t. Those 8 superstars were all can’t miss prospects. Very few number 1 picks have “surprised” their GM’s and fans by morphing into superstars.

Bird was only taken at 6 because of questions about his eligibility to play and the team that picked him either had to wait a year to get him or risked not getting him at all. Otherwise he was number one or two pick. The Celts took a huge risk drafting him that paid off.

Bird was only taken at 6 because of questions about his eligibility to play and the team that picked him either had to wait a year to get him or risked not getting him at all. Otherwise he was number one or two pick. The Celts took a huge risk drafting him that paid off.

Thant's for damn sure! :)

time to drag this thread up again.......

2007 #6 - Milwaukee Bucks Yi Jianlian, Forward, China

Has had an OK rookie season I wonder what the future will hold for him though

and since the original list only went till 2003 -

Martell webster - very close to bust
Josh Childress - mediocre, not a superstar bust, flees to Europe
Brandon ROY - possible(probable or maybe falls back into the all-star category) superstar (however I still believe this pick was cursed as it was not Portland's pick it was Minnesota - who traded it away and missed out on having the superstar)
so from ROY onwards

2007 Yi Jianlin - traded at the end of his first season with the bucks. Career average of 8.6ppg and 5.3 rebs. Minor improvements in second season but is still only 21.

2008 Danilo Gallinari - Still too early, only played 28 games in his rookie season, averaging 6.1ppg and 2rebs. Potential but still a long way off.

2009 Jonny Flynn - derr, hasn't played a game - a bit early to tell. Massive pressure on him though as the wolves also drafted the more highly anticipated and preferred rubio with the #5 pick, so a lot of expectation to live up to.

Not much changed since this post (22nd May 2008). Bolded bits added

I think it's unfair to put sharone wright in the bust category. before the car accident that hospitalised him for months (broken back if i remember correctly) and effectively ended his playing career, he was an absolute monster and i mean a monster. He was shaping up to be the franchise player for the 76ers... then of course, there was the car accident. As to #13's producing mostly busts.... what about Jalen Rose? He was far from a bust, just underated and not used properly for the beginning and end of his career.

So thought it was time for a bit of an update -

Full list of #6 picks

Kenny Smith
Hersey Hawkins
Antoine Walker
Wally Szczerbiak
Shane Battier
Chris Kaman
Tom Gugliotta
Bryant Reeves
Stacey King
Joe Kleine
DeMarr Johnson
Ron Mercer
Calbert Chaney
Felton Spencer
William Bedford
Mel Tupin
Doug Smith
Sharone Wright
Robert Traylor
Dajuan Wagner
Chris Kaman
Josh Childress
Martell Webster
Brandon Roy
Yi Jianlin
Danilo Gallinari
Jonny Flynn
Ekpe Udoh

Still definitely no superstars there. Roy could have been, but hampered by injuries. Gallinari doing well but not a superstar. Kaman and Roy the only ones who would even fall into the AllStar category at this stage.

Last edited:
so a little while passed since the last update.
interesting to see Brandon ROy and Jonny Flynn both on the list!

Udoh - Traded as part of the Bogut trade.
2011 - Jan Vesely - Averaged 19mins and 4.7pts and 4.4rebs in rookie year
2012 - Damien Lillard - One of the hottest rookies in league - only 3 games in though

hopefully this is the year the #6 pick produces a superstar, after watching Lillard play he's got the talent to become a superstar, so far he'd top the list of rookies

Lillard will fall by the wayside soon. He's not that good.

Sure he's averaging 19 & 8 in 5 games BUT his numbers have pretty much dropped every one of those 5 games.

vs. LAL - 23 & 11
@ OKC - 21 & 7
@ HOU - 20 & 9
@ DAL - 13 & 5
vs. LAC - 16 & 4

Yep Jonny Flynn got himself picked at number 6, now he ended up in Melbourne poor bloke.:p:cautious:

Juuuust kidding.

Back
Top Bottom