2020 footy stars prestiege release.

I saw that...that card jumped big time in the frantic last few seconds
The last 4 to sell have all sold for $300+
Get in quick mate... there going like hot cakes
Haha yea I’m trying, every time I think I’ll one win I lose on the buzzer!

Nothing more deflating, screen does the refresh and your left with "you have been out bidded" :mad:
speaking off deflating...a bit like watching richmond at the moment

Traded the Dusty #003 for Darling #002

I decided a long time ago that I would never do the whole "Collingwood/ Richmond tax" thing, but it still hurts a little bit every once in a while :lol:
Ah damn that’s gotta hurt..

Good on you for not taking the piss with the value..
I do find it interesting that people call it a tax..I would call it basic demand and supply..
Bound to get the conversation started lol

Last edited:
Ah damn that’s gotta hurt..

Good on you for not taking the piss with the value..
I do find it interesting that people call it a tax..I would call it basic demand and supply..
Bound to get the conversation started lol

Aw no doubt it's supply and demand.

I call it a "tax" and a think most others do as well for simplistic reasons while also taking a little shot at those who get them more for monetary purposes then actual collecting.

Aw no doubt it's supply and demand.

I call it a "tax" and a think most others do as well for simplistic reasons while also taking a little shot at those who get them more for monetary purposes then actual collecting.
Yeh agree with you there.
There are definitely some that go after Collingwood and Richmond cards purely for the money..

as a pure richmond collector..let me assure you it's not fun paying the price that go with collecting high grade tiger cards. Yet that is the current hobby as we know it. I still think collingwood collectors have to pay slightly more for there high end..but certain players (eg Dusty) command top dollar

Traded the Dusty #003 for Darling #002

I decided a long time ago that I would never do the whole "Collingwood/ Richmond tax" thing, but it still hurts a little bit every once in a while :lol:
agree..that trade could hurt. yet you still own darling #2!!! Great stance in not doing the pies/tiger tax, unfortunately the market and certain players dictates paying overs to obtain..in a way were no different to the u.s market...big/hot players bring the $$

Interesting points re: the pies/tigers "tax"

Ive never been much of a team collector outside of Suns for my son's PC, and tbh, its just easier to buy the cards we want in those cases, unless we are at a trade day or similar and then it's fun to do some trades.

Personally for me, Im more about the player on the card, then the team they play for, but my background is more NBA/NFL cards where team collectors basically dont exist, and it is all about the player.

In relation to the idea of trading *Insert your PC team here* for a tigers or pies card, each to there own, but the amount of times Ive seen a "Its for my PC, and I will never sell it" collector turn around at some point and sell their PC for a variety of reasons (some valid for sure), I guarantee that Dusty Green is not being sold at the market value of the Darling Green it cost them to trade for (Just using the example presented in this thread).

The difference for me as well is, we are not swapping unnumbered inserts out of a $3 packet, we are dealing in higher cost products and lower numbered cards than ever before and the difference between two players, based on their team can be hundreds of dollars or more.

Also, my personal view is that the more products that get released in the AFL market and the more lower print cards they contain, it will get hard and harder to be a team collector so you will see some of these team collectors either give up on team collecting all together or be a lot more selective... then what happens to their collections?

I also dont like the entitled Pies and Tigers collectors that automatically assume just because you collect the Kangas or Swans for example that you should instantly trade your pies/tigers cards for their kangas/swans in a straight swap, this might be a minority, but they are definitely around. Again, if you are happy to do it great, its more an observation on entitled nature of some people in the hobby. Honestly, its just easier to buy the cards you want and sell the ones you dont these days

You know, a lot of people say, the hobby is all about the money now, blah, blah, blah, but when you are paying up to $500 a box or thousands on a case, or spending big money in breaks, you would be crazy to not have the money you spent and the value of what you get back come into it, and that doesnt make you any less of a "collector". unless of course you are one of the few where that kind of money is chump change for them, therefore the money means nothing.

I want to be very clear, I am not saying there is a right or wrong way to trade and/or buy and sell and I am most definitely not having a go at Shaun for doing that trade, I am just giving my thoughts, whatever they are worth.

A good point @Jonathon M about team collectors giving up. I collect Hawks, and 5 years ago I could virtually collect all Hawks cards released. Now with 3 releases last year and 3 this year with very low numbered cards it’s impossible for a collector like me to keep up. In just Prestige there’s 39 numbered insert cards for me to try and collect. Then there’s Footy Stars earlier plus a Dominance 2 to come. It’s just too much. My collecting priorities have to change and I need to be comfortable with not collecting them all. And who knows, maybe one day it will all be too much and I’ll give up.

Interesting points re: the pies/tigers "tax"

In relation to the idea of trading *Insert your PC team here* for a tigers or pies card, each to there own, but the amount of times I've seen a "Its for my PC, and I will never sell it" collector turn around at some point and sell their PC for a variety of reasons (some valid for sure), I guarantee that Dusty Green is not being sold at the market value of the Darling Green it cost them to trade for (Just using the example presented in this thread).

The difference for me as well is, we are not swapping unnumbered inserts out of a $3 packet, we are dealing in higher cost products and lower numbered cards than ever before and the difference between two players, based on their team can be hundreds of dollars or more.

One of reasons why I only ever trade with a select few people or at least offer it to them first, I know they are passionate collectors of that team and would never move it on without a very valid reason. I have blocked a fellow WCE collector merely based on how he conducts himself buying cards inferring that it's for his PC only for them to pop up couple months later for sale. Not only happening once or twice but continuously.

The benefit of choosing to only trade with select few is that while I have done trades which monetary wise I have lost out, I find in the next trade or so it's worked out in my favour. The story of how the Ben Cousins Supremacy sig JN came to be in my hands was a perfect example of this.

Also, my personal view is that the more products that get released in the AFL market and the more lower print cards they contain, it will get hard and harder to be a team collector so you will see some of these team collectors either give up on team collecting all together or be a lot more selective... then what happens to their collections?

100% agree and it's something that I have also considered as it feels it's getting to that point. If I do decide to go down that path I think I'll follow another WCE collectors idea of just getting WCE signatures and/ or high end cards like the Gold Showstopper.

I also dont like the entitled Pies and Tigers collectors that automatically assume just because you collect the Kangas or Swans for example that you should instantly trade your pies/tigers cards for their kangas/swans in a straight swap, this might be a minority, but they are definitely around. Again, if you are happy to do it great, its more an observation on entitled nature of some people in the hobby. Honestly, its just easier to buy the cards you want and sell the ones you dont these days

You know, a lot of people say, the hobby is all about the money now, blah, blah, blah, but when you are paying up to $500 a box or thousands on a case, or spending big money in breaks, you would be crazy to not have the money you spent and the value of what you get back come into it, and that doesnt make you any less of a "collector". unless of course you are one of the few where that kind of money is chump change for them, therefore the money means nothing.

I think Afterpay has had a profound impact on the 2nd market as a lot of people who would of normally only bought 2-3 boxes are now buying a case and so forth. Then trying to sell cards quickly to claw back that money value they spent, which has in turn flooded the market very early.

After looking back on the way I used to buy boxes n such and the amount of money I was burning, I'm gonna stick to a method of buying a box or two to scratch that itch while buying my PC cards when the market is flooded. It's just a matter of figuring out when exactly that is.

Last edited:
Awesome that you got looked after with the JN Cousins, there arent many bigger WCE cards than that so Im glad you got some great karma come back to you

I definitely agree with you Afterpay thoughts, it definitely has allowed some nice cards to go cheaper than what they should which definitely worked out great for me with Supremacy. If you are after certain low print cards, it has definitely created a nice window to get them due to the flooded market early

A good point @Jonathon M about team collectors giving up. I collect Hawks, and 5 years ago I could virtually collect all Hawks cards released. Now with 3 releases last year and 3 this year with very low numbered cards it’s impossible for a collector like me to keep up. In just Prestige there’s 39 numbered insert cards for me to try and collect. Then there’s Footy Stars earlier plus a Dominance 2 to come. It’s just too much. My collecting priorities have to change and I need to be comfortable with not collecting them all. And who knows, maybe one day it will all be too much and I’ll give up.

Great points from a team collector perspective, and I feel your sentiments will be shared by many more soon

Back
Top Bottom