2019 TLA Elite - Official Thread

Yet we are only 2 days into it from the official release date and already the cards are being dumped.
Now 3 days in from the offical release date,and about a week overall.I think your spot on.But i don,t like the term dumping,how about recycling.But you have to understand,that if you spend 180.00 a box,hoping to get some nice cards to add to your collection,and all you get is a ruby,then a mass of low end cards,you are entitled to try and get something back,by ways of ebay or Ozcard or even at the collector,s fairs.Im speaking from experience.So far there has been some wonderfull cards pulled this release,and its only early.Good luck to all the collector,s who have been able to add to there collection so far.I will keep trying.

Last edited:
Change the word "fruit" with the words "trading cards", I think you'll get the drift. He's a wise man is Jerry.

Unknown.jpeg

Exactly! If you buy 6 packs and hit a black LS, great release. If you buy 6 and hit parallels, terrible release.
What if you buy 48 packs/2 boxes and hit single ruby.Bad luck.Maybe.Inconsistant packageing,most likely.Thats why i keep buying,hoping to get some sort of decent card.Then i sell the low end cards,get a few dollars back,and start the cycle over again.

The collation seems to be an issue but if you bought 48 packs from say 6 boxes from various stores that is a choice you make trying to get more hits. You could get 12 hits that way or none. If you were to use that $$ for a sealed box then I would think you have a more consistent chance at a hit. Again though, odds are based on an entire production run and despite the odds being reasonably accurate there can be no guarantee.

There is nothing wrong with offloading spares but if it is done dirt cheap then that impacts negatively on the market. Once someone had paid $3 for a box hit they don’t want to pay more.

The collation seems to be an issue but if you bought 48 packs from say 6 boxes from various stores that is a choice you make trying to get more hits. You could get 12 hits that way or none. If you were to use that $$ for a sealed box then I would think you have a more consistent chance at a hit. Again though, odds are based on an entire production run and despite the odds being reasonably accurate there can be no guarantee.

There is nothing wrong with offloading spares but if it is done dirt cheap then that impacts negatively on the market. Once someone had paid $3 for a box hit they don’t want to pay more.
48 packs came in the form of 2 sealed boxes.Inconsistant packageing i,d say.That has happened twice over the last few years.But you have to accept that.

48 packs came in the form of 2 sealed boxes.Inconsistant packageing i,d say.That has happened twice over the last few years.But you have to accept that.

Exactly. That is the nature of the beast. Sometimes you hit well, sometimes not. It is a gamble either buying packets, boxes, cases or going in breaks. The point is, if you buy packets or boxes understanding this and without an expectation to hit big or make $$ then you would be less likely to flip cards cheap.

unfortunately i have been one that has opened a box and only had a ruby in it but for me this is still one of TLA's best releases. I'm not a big fan of mojos but there are others out there who do, love the black signatures and the new addition of the booklet cards. For me it is a form of gambling you will either hit the cards your after or you wont and end up buying them from another collector. It's the luck of the draw and it's the thrill of opening a pack/box and seeing what you get.

I think you’ve pretty much nailed it, although, personally that logic translates to many terrible releases... I must be a masochist I guess.

I have had so many busts over the years where I have hit nothing but then some crackers also!

It is also perspective! I could easily invest my card $$ to buy the ones I want from the secondary market but I live busting packets and trading far more!

I have had so many busts over the years where I have hit nothing but then some crackers also!

It is also perspective! I could easily invest my card $$ to buy the ones I want from the secondary market but I live busting packets and trading far more!

I agree, it is still the excitement of busting packets, and I am sure you share a similar experience whereby that excitement was present when there were only common cards in a pack - that BI (before insert) period.
There was still disappointment then - when the collation was such that you knew very quickly that you had busted a pack of doubles and were no closer to compiling your set.
That was my favourite collecting time, don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy the hobby. The hobby has changed though, and I suppose that I am somewhat of a traditionalist - I still yearn for a great set of commons, with real action shots from the game without photoshop and with advertising, the crowd or whatever in the background - that captures that moment in time. How good is it looking back at the cards from the 70s and 80s... Realistically, there will be many of the high end Eels cards - that will never see my PC - because unless I am fortunate enough to bust them or snaffle them in a break - I struggle to justify the outlay to acquire them.

I agree, it is still the excitement of busting packets, and I am sure you share a similar experience whereby that excitement was present when there were only common cards in a pack - that BI (before insert) period.
There was still disappointment then - when the collation was such that you knew very quickly that you had busted a pack of doubles and were no closer to compiling your set.
That was my favourite collecting time, don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy the hobby. The hobby has changed though, and I suppose that I am somewhat of a traditionalist - I still yearn for a great set of commons, with real action shots from the game without photoshop and with advertising, the crowd or whatever in the background - that captures that moment in time. How good is it looking back at the cards from the 70s and 80s... Realistically, there will be many of the high end Eels cards - that will never see my PC - because unless I am fortunate enough to bust them or snaffle them in a break - I struggle to justify the outlay to acquire them.
My favourite footy card memory is still from back in the Scanlens era... my local milk shop was closing down, I had gone in to buy a couple of packs of cards. There was only a few packs left in the box so the owner gave them to me - including the last card I needed for the set. Stoked.

I started collecting as a kid in 1974. I remember my mum buying a box, hiding it away and giving me a pack whenever I'd been good enough to earn one. I ended up with a lot of spares trying to get the set and promised the kids in the schoolyard I would give all my spares away when I did. I finally traded for the last card I needed (a Peter Peters that looked like it had been through the wash - I still have it) and I kept my word. I gave away a stack of 1974 cards about 6 inches high. I took place over a week or so and I was literally mobbed every day.

Contrast that now. A few weeks ago I put 5 cases worth of 2014 Elite commons (unable to give them away, let alone sell them!) on a burn pile and lit the bonfire. They made a pretty pattern when they were ash. I wish I'd taken a pic. It's the only pleasure ESP/TLA commons have given me recently.

Having said that, I still enjoy busting boxes.

I started collecting as a kid in 1974. I remember my mum buying a box, hiding it away and giving me a pack whenever I'd been good enough to earn one. I ended up with a lot of spares trying to get the set and promised the kids in the schoolyard I would give all my spares away when I did. I finally traded for the last card I needed (a Peter Peters that looked like it had been through the wash - I still have it) and I kept my word. I gave away a stack of 1974 cards about 6 inches high. I took place over a week or so and I was literally mobbed every day.

Contrast that now. A few weeks ago I put 5 cases worth of 2014 Elite commons (unable to give them away, let alone sell them!) on a burn pile and lit the bonfire. They made a pretty pattern when they were ash. I wish I'd taken a pic. It's the only pleasure ESP/TLA commons have given me recently.

There is a dealer on here that gave so many commons away, because he could sell them either

I know the feeling about common cards.A couple of years ago,i told a friend he could have all my common,s cards.Which ranged from late 90,s till 2017.Almost 20.000 cards for 100.00.He paid me in the end,but it took ages to get paid.Now if any one needs common cards,just ask,if i have them,there yours for free.Postage not included.

I know the feeling about common cards.A couple of years ago,i told a friend he could have all my common,s cards.Which ranged from late 90,s till 2017.Almost 20.000 cards for 100.00.He paid me in the end,but it took ages to get paid.Now if any one needs common cards,just ask,if i have them,there yours for free.Postage not included.
One day, not so far away, in a galaxy close by, postage will be so dear, it will be buy your own packs, boxes and or cases.
Because it will to dear to post cards.

Back
Top Bottom