2019 NRL Glory Release Official Thread

Personally I think naming so many immortals in one go lessons the exclusivity of it . As for some of the future famers it seems like everyone bar the groundskeeper is one apparently lol.

The problem with the Immortals concept, it was always post-WWII players, who (pissed up) journos had seen, and was conducted by a RL magazine to sell port.

If they'd just gone with a Hall of Fame concept from the start, then we'd be fine. That they named players pre-WWII recently redresses some of the imbalance of the Immortals concept.

The arguments are long and varied as to who should be in and who should be out. The Hall of Fame would be about the 'best of the best' IMHO and blokes I loved watching like Sterlo and Brandy and Brad Clyde and Brad MacKay and Rod Wishart would get a good shot at inclusion. That Ron Coote has continually missed out, as has Irvine, is a crime - again, IMHO. Funny to think too, that a few years back, Lockyer was dead set automatic odds on 'next' Immortal. Now...you'd probably not say that. Cam Smith, Slater, JT would probably be the top of that list now. So tastes change. I'd have Fittler up there too. Again, again...IMHO.

The problem with the Immortals concept, it was always post-WWII players, who (pissed up) journos had seen, and was conducted by a RL magazine to sell port.

If they'd just gone with a Hall of Fame concept from the start, then we'd be fine. That they named players pre-WWII recently redresses some of the imbalance of the Immortals concept.

The arguments are long and varied as to who should be in and who should be out. The Hall of Fame would be about the 'best of the best' IMHO and blokes I loved watching like Sterlo and Brandy and Brad Clyde and Brad MacKay and Rod Wishart would get a good shot at inclusion. That Ron Coote has continually missed out, as has Irvine, is a crime - again, IMHO. Funny to think too, that a few years back, Lockyer was dead set automatic odds on 'next' Immortal. Now...you'd probably not say that. Cam Smith, Slater, JT would probably be the top of that list now. So tastes change. I'd have Fittler up there too. Again, again...IMHO.
You make good points but anyone judging pre WW2 now would have to be 95-100 + Which means it’s really impossible to do . Fair enough years ago it would of been possible to a degree , but it would be pretty hard to judge players from the 20s and 30s for example, especially with such poor footage if any , and the limited people to actually make the call.
Maybe the process of selection needed a freshen up but what will happen is every few years another 6 or so will be inducted .
If the NRL is making money off the process , possibly more .
To me personally the immortal tag should be reserved for players that have changed the game . Some of the names you mentioned deserve it in due time but it can’t be for good players , only the greats .

You make good points but anyone judging pre WW2 now would have to be 95-100 + Which means it’s really impossible to do . Fair enough years ago it would of been possible to a degree , but it would be pretty hard to judge players from the 20s and 30s for example, especially with such poor footage if any , and the limited people to actually make the call.
Maybe the process of selection needed a freshen up but what will happen is every few years another 6 or so will be inducted .
If the NRL is making money off the process , possibly more .
To me personally the immortal tag should be reserved for players that have changed the game . Some of the names you mentioned deserve it in due time but it can’t be for good players , only the greats .

I'm pretty sure the NRL are looking at 1-2 per decade here on in.

The Immortals concept is flawed and it should be scrapped for a complete Hall of Fame, with 2-5 players per playing decade listed as Immortal status. But it's too late now. The horse has bolted.

I'm pretty sure the NRL are looking at 1-2 per decade here on in.

The Immortals concept is flawed and it should be scrapped for a complete Hall of Fame, with 2-5 players per playing decade listed as Immortal status. But it's too late now. The horse has bolted.
1-2 per decade would be ok . My first ever boss was a Dragons tragic and he used to always say you can only judge players over a decade anyway which I always agreed with .
Trying to compare Langlands with Slater is just ridiculous.

Not too hard to look at pre WW2 players to include. Takes a bit of reading and studying of data and facts. We do get influenced about how good modern players are by journos etc and I'm certainly not arguing today's players are far more skillful and athletic than in the past. When you looking for immortal nominee you look for someone far above his peers at the time. Stats and stories can tell you that. I have been following rugby league since late 70s but I certainly don't enjoy the game as much as used to. I used to be blown away by the brilliance of Brett Kenny, and later Brett Mullins. Appreciated the tackling of Paul Taylor, Ian Roberts and later Nathan Hindmarsh. And could go on. Andrew John's I always rated as just a player. He wasn't way above the likes of Stuart, Langer and Toovey at the time. In fact he played plenty of hooker for NSW just to get in the team behind these sort of blokes. It is amazing how selections made on people jumping on the bandwagon about how brilliant someone is. For me the only modern player who really stood above his peers was Thurston.
In summary of this ramble, there will always be flaws in selecting players and really all selected will have their reasons. But ignoring the old pioneers of the game who just happened to have played before I saw is a disgrace and instead have modern people we are quickly impressed with.

Heard Joey called a lot of things , but never just a player lol
joel, 666.
I came from newcastle too, but I rated myslf as just a player.
would of loved to have done a 200th of what he done and survived, and still out ther earning a GREAT living for something he enjoys doing.
he is not a dragons player wish he was.
IMO you can all go jump in what ever water you can find, he deserves every accolade that is bestowed upon him.

Last edited:
joel, 666.
I came from newcastle too, but I rated myslf as just a player.
would of loved to have done a 200th of what he done and survived, and still out ther earning a GREAT living for something he enjoys doing.
he is not a dragons player wish he was.
IMO you can all go jump in what ever water you can find, he deserves every accolade is bestowed upon him.
not aimed at you Joel.
just love banter.

not aimed at you Joel.
just love banter.
Hahaha can’t offend me anyway , my wife has taken away my feelings lol. I remember him drawing in a manly team then putting Albert over to win a grand final and also remember Ben Hunt making Thurston a hero 😂😂just stirring. Both legends of the game but Joey would be first pick for me , could tackle and had a will to win like not many .

Halfbacks I rate better than Joey (from what I've seen) in no order. Raudonikis (could be seen as biased) Sterling , Langer, Alexander and Thurston. I have have John's next after this lot. The fact he had off field indiscretions only adds to my confusion why he was included as an immortal. Every one has there own opinion but when such accolades a bestowed upon a player more argument is needed than a few journos having an agreement of an opinion.

While I’m pumped to have another Lockyer sig, he’s in a section called Future Famers, yet he is already in the Hall of Fame. Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

This was certainly one aspect of Glory which was a bit odd. As you mentioned, already HOF and an Immortal in waiting so his inclusion in this set was odd. I think the Future Famers signature cards could have been one per team which would have pushed the numbers down.

Perhaps another signature set 1:216 called Immortals in Waiting would have been more fitting.

Overall though I like the set and I am glad to have a higher end product to chase

Hindsight on these things is always 20/20 and not having much knowledge regarding production costs, player selection etc makes it hard to say why things happen. I am aware from a mate in another industry that the NRL are very difficult to deal with on a business level and have a big say in content for these kinds of releases.

I will certainly be happy to have a Lockyer auto in a set, he is one of the greats and I did play a bit of Park footy with his youngest brother who looks just like him.

This Glory release will be long gone and forgotten about once the 2019 Traders comes around in 2 months time and outstrips it for investment value. That doesn't say much for this so called Glory release IMO. Matt was on the money when he said he could have been better thought out and the sheer number of cards printed for the higher end inserts is a joke if you are looking for a series to hold any value.

The sad thing is no ESP cards hold value.

/50 Jersey Patch game worn signature cards of top rep players for less than $150

Case hits for $40

LS Blacks, a few went through the roof but the vast majority are less than $200.

Legend Signatures less than $200 for recent years.

While some of the lower end Glory stuff including the box hit signatures will be cheaper I guarantee that the Mal and Joey Immortal sigs won’t go under $600 and the Case Cards for Joey will be tough to pick up at less than $100 each

Centenary has held value and was more than double Glory in production size. Box hit foil signatures from that release were /600 and still get $35+ each.

There won’t be that much of the product on the secondary market and I kind of hope this release does get forgotten about when Traders rolls around because this will mean far less product around and prices will stay up.

We all know that after three weeks you will get most of your Traders at half the initial price. It happens every year when collectors have busted and do the dump onto the secondary market.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom