2019 Elite - Concept

You could always do what they did this year and add in another Limited Young Guns Signature #/40 falling 1 per case.

That means in a case you would get

2 x Young Guns #/80
1 x Young Guns #/40
1 x Jersey Signature Patch #/40

Plus:
10 x Rubies
5 x Sapphires
2/3 x Emeralds

If you really wanted to add in further value, you could have an unsigned jersey patch #/80 which would give you an extra 2 hits per case.

2 x Young Guns #/80
1 x Young Guns #/40
1 x Jersey Signature Patch #/40
2 x Jersey Patch #/80 (Unsigned)

Plus:
10 x Rubies #/40
5 x Sapphires #/20
2/3 x Emeralds #/20

Thats 24 hits per case - 4 signatures, 2 unsigned patches and 17 or 18 numbered cards limited to 40 or less.

In previous years having the signatures dropping more frequently has led them to bombing in value some as low as $30 each.

If they are a little rarer, they may hold their value a little better but I do understand your point. Building sets is very hard to do to get the right line between not enough value and too much value.

Its a good discussion to have nonetheless.

Cheers
Matt

If this is what they are thinking of doing for next years release then I feel it is a step backwards after what they released this year ....

If this is what they are thinking of doing for next years release then I feel it is a step backwards after what they released this year ....

Definately not what they are planning to release......it was an idea thrown out there for feedback from me thats all.

i would like to see the amount of mojos Reduced but I would like to see the Signatures increased, something like this.

Young Gun #/90
League Sensation #/60
Club Legend #/40
Triple Signature #/10

but I did like the black parallel version this year as well
Similar to what they brough out in 2012 limited edition (ie: peachey, vagana and another player)

Then & Now dual signature series

One club legend and a current player of similar ilk

S. Walters / Hodgson or Wiki / Papalii

Maybe put it to a collector vote?

Only issue with past players is getting them to agree and then the cost of them appearing.......its not insurmountable but it would add cost to production for another level of signatures for no additional potential revenue. If TLA are going to spend another $25K getting more players to sign (plus paying for image rights outside of current players), they would want to see a return on this additional investment. If there is no return it wont happen.

I could see potentially see multiple current players on one card, just think having current and older players together may not happen in elite.

I could perhaps see the LS and YG players both signing on a card together....thats always a possibility....both are already signing and it would be minimal cost to produce the extra cards.

What I'd like to see:

Commons - 144 with pale vacant spaces for IP signature

Ruby parallel (72); 1:2 packs*
Engine room (64); 1:4 packs
Fast and the furious (32); 1:8 packs
Thunder and lightning (32); 1:24 packs
Young gun gold signature (16; black ink on white background); xx/65
Young gun platinum signature (16; silver ink on black background); xx/40
Young gun titanium signature (16; silver ink on navy background); xx/25
League sensation gold signature (16; black ink on white background);
xx/65
League sensation black signature (16; gold ink on black background); xx/40
League sensation double black signature (16; LS signee and YG signee both on one card); both players signature in gold ink on black background; xx/25

Match worn Guernsey cards: same lineup as this year and another Ball used concept perhaps

Mojo singles: all others singles as well as rubies plus an additional black opal variant out of 1;
Ruby /40 (72); 1:48 packs*
Sapphire /20 (144); 1:48 packs
Emerald /10 (144); 1:96 packs
Black Diamond /05 (144); 1:192 packs
Black Opal /01 (144); 1:960 packs

*Backend rubies and mojo rubies exactly alike only the upper end mojo edition numbered. In other words if a collector acquired all 72 ruby specials and all 72 mojo /40 ruby cards, this would instantly form a 144 parallel card set with 9 cards per club

PS forgot to clarify the back end rubies would have all different players to the corresponding mojo rubies and vice versa

PPS Guernsey cards again with an unsigned variant out of 165 and the signature variant out of 80. Instead of another Ball concept a double header Guernsey concept to take place out of 200 (1:720 packs) plus a signature variant out of 65 (1:2160 packs). Also wouldn't mind seeing clubs accounted for who are yet to have a jersey card??

Far too many cards I think and many previously used concepts. The market is already overburdened. Signature cards in particular should not increase in numbers. You saw what happened as Mojo numbers increased, prices dropped! Same will happen for signature cards. For a smaller collecting market like the NRL I feel there needs to be less cards and fresh ideas.

Great brands usually have a good concept in them that can continue over a period of years that can be tweaked and improved as you go along.

Traders (out in March) - SAS Signatures, Predictors, Retirements, Legends etc.....think this is a really solid release the past few years and I hope they don't change it too much next year.

Powerplay (out In April) - Hasn't really established its identity.......is a low end release aimed at kids and I think this could be really successful if their gaming component was mobile enabled......have kids playing games on their phones easily rather than on PC etc.

Maybe introduce a hook like a Dally M Predictor in this........get people looking for these cards in Powerplay. The figurines didn't do much for me this year.

Elite (out in mid/late June) Keep this with your MOJO cards, your Young Guns and League Sensations.

I would then concentrate on a higher end limited edition box style product (out in late August/early September) where they feature jersey card patches for all teams and very low numbered signatures (25 maximum per card). Think your immaculate/National Treasure type release.

This would Cover all markets.......Mass markets at the start of the year, build up through elite and finish in line with the finals with a high end product.

Cheers
Matt

Yes perhaps too many cards in particular with the signature variants I suggested but what's the solution? As we mentioned before TLA aren't going to spend money on creating new ideas if it means them not getting their return. Yes I'd be open to past time players signature concepts but is it that practical? Now in terms of mojo cards, do feel they won't be axed any time soon and key credibility with them is to make sapphire, emerald and diamond variants single cards as well as. Yes prices will drop however speaking of the team packed replications from previous years with the fancier designs, many collectors dug deep to acquire these and will therefore only come out to be seen again if another collector is prepared to pay as much as they did if not more. Therefore collectors will want new replications of such concepts and introducing a 1/1 mojo (let's say it would be black opal comprising colours of all four lower variants) will keep the market running: this of course assuming all variants packed individually thus no team packed

Yes perhaps too many cards in particular with the signature variants I suggested but what's the solution? As we mentioned before TLA aren't going to spend money on creating new ideas if it means them not getting their return. Yes I'd be open to past time players signature concepts but is it that practical? Now in terms of mojo cards, do feel they won't be axed any time soon and key credibility with them is to make sapphire, emerald and diamond variants single cards as well as. Yes prices will drop however speaking of the team packed replications from previous years with the fancier designs, many collectors dug deep to acquire these and will therefore only come out to be seen again if another collector is prepared to pay as much as they did if not more. Therefore collectors will want new replications of such concepts and introducing a 1/1 mojo (let's say it would be black opal comprising colours of all four lower variants) will keep the market running: this of course assuming all variants packed individually thus no team packed

I've been shot down before for suggesting they all be individual players......TLA took on the suggestion this year for the Rubies (a few others also pushed for it) and I think sales of the cards have been pretty good. $20-25 a card works out to over $200 for your whole team........previous years rubies team sets scan be had from even as low as $100 (could have bought a Panthers one for this).

If they make the other levels individual cards, it means more single hits which go across all teams meaning case breaks provide more hits per case going to all teams, not just a few.

I have no issues with having 1/1 cards either (seems quite a few do have an issue with this) but I think these would be cool to have if they are a standout card.

Yes I understand many would have an issue on a 1/1 mojo level however remember two years ago when I got shot down for suggesting an emerald level out of ten but it happened then again last year for a diamond level out of five and it happened? So my gut feeling is that an awesome looking black opal 1/1 level is a realistic possibly or in other words won't be surprised if it's in next year's elite

Great brands usually have a good concept in them that can continue over a period of years that can be tweaked and improved as you go along.

Traders (out in March) - SAS Signatures, Predictors, Retirements, Legends etc.....think this is a really solid release the past few years and I hope they don't change it too much next year.

Powerplay (out In April) - Hasn't really established its identity.......is a low end release aimed at kids and I think this could be really successful if their gaming component was mobile enabled......have kids playing games on their phones easily rather than on PC etc.

Maybe introduce a hook like a Dally M Predictor in this........get people looking for these cards in Powerplay. The figurines didn't do much for me this year.

Elite (out in mid/late June) Keep this with your MOJO cards, your Young Guns and League Sensations.

I would then concentrate on a higher end limited edition box style product (out in late August/early September) where they feature jersey card patches for all teams and very low numbered signatures (25 maximum per card). Think your immaculate/National Treasure type release.

This would Cover all markets.......Mass markets at the start of the year, build up through elite and finish in line with the finals with a high end product.

Cheers
Matt
Love it if elite came out in June. Way too hard in mid August for us IP collectors.

The Higher end set ( Elite or what ever it will be called in the future ) will always come out in the New Financial year , July - August....
Even July would be better than August. Gives you two or three rounds only to get Ip's done and most years elite has a tonne of retirees and players heading to England. Very hard to complete them in such a short space of time. I know TLA wouldn't care as everyone still buys it. Just my opinion on what I would like to see. Love the look of the commons this year though. They look awsome signed :):thumbsup:

Even July would be better than August. Gives you two or three rounds only to get Ip's done and most years elite has a tonne of retirees and players heading to England. Very hard to complete them in such a short space of time. I know TLA wouldn't care as everyone still buys it. Just my opinion on what I would like to see. Love the look of the commons this year though. They look awsome signed :):thumbsup:
Their Grand Final week fan day was a success last year... wasn't a bad chance to catch some players from all teams.

Unfortunately this year it's been moved to a different venue and significantly shortened due to the Grand Final being at the start of school holidays, but maybe next year it'll revert to what it was?

Back
Top Bottom