2016 Select Footy Stars (Series 1)

Scotty_WCE

West Coast card collector!
Real Name
Scott
eBay User
scotty_wce
I thought it was probably time for a '16 Champions thread, especially given that we should be given our first sneak-peek of the release in the Pre-season Fantasy Record, which itself will be released tomorrow in Victoria (8th Feb for other states).

The burning question is: will Select bring something new to revitalise this recently repetitive series, or will it be the same-old, same-old?

If you're in Victoria and manage to get down to a newsagency tomorrow, please take a picture of the ad! (And the Teamcoach one if you can!)

Would be interested to see what's in this release.

Hopefully someone is able to post a scan of the sell sheet today!

The caricature cards have had their time, boring parallel cards have had their time. I know this series is for the kids, but it is sad when the base cards are the best thing about Champions. We really need some more and different inserts. Rising star cards are a must. Maybe coaches? Leading goalkickers?

I'm sure a flyer will be released very soon as release is early March
There should hopefully be an ad in the AFL Fantasy Record as there has been in previous years.

When was the last time Series 1 had numbered cards? 2011? I'm a huge fan of Brownlow Predictors, and releasing them in Series 1 means there's more excitement over the whole season, rather than just the last 10 rounds if they were released in Series 2.

The old "cat amongst the pigeons" trick mate!

I think Brownlow predictors are a great idea. It's nice to be talking about footy cards again :)
I reckon Brownlow Predictors might be Select's "once-every-10-years" set. 1996, 2006 and now 2016... ;)

I think that Select have made a great call if Series 1 is no longer going to be called Champions. It lasted 10 years, and it started well but went downhill; a fresh start is exactly what the hobby needs. This might just be the start of a new era!

Just saw the ad didn't have any money on me to buy the record though, This is what was on it

2016 Select Footy Stars
Brownlow Predictors 1 per box they had about 5 pitcured fyfe and bartel were 2 of them Fyfe was card no. 43 Bartel #49 so i'd assume it is going to be a 100 card set.
The winning predictor will redeem a limited edition brownlow medal signature card

They took up most of the page add, at the bottom there was a small lot of 6 or 7 cards pictured there was a base card, an insert of Nic Nat which looked like it said elite on it, milestone cards, a thunder and lightning insert set which has 2 players per team one thunder one lightning and another insert card at the end

Look forward to seeing a checklist now.

Release date Stated as March 3rd

Last edited:
Just saw the ad didn't have any money on me to buy the record though, This is what was on it

2016 Select Footy Stars
Brownlow Predictors 1 per box they had about 5 pitcured fyfe and bartel were 2 of them Fyfe was card no. 43 Bartel #49 so i'd assume it is going to be a 100 card set.
The winning predictor will redeem a limited edition brownlow medal signature card

They took up most of the page add, at the bottom there was a small lot of 6 or 7 cards pictured there was a base card, an insert of Nic Nat which looked like it said elite on it, milestone cards, a thunder and lightning insert set which has 2 players per team one thunder one lightning and another insert card at the end

Look forward to seeing a checklist now.

Release date Stated as March 3rd
Thanks for the info, sounds good!

Series is looking pretty good for Series 1 especially when you consider the Predictors are limited to 145. Not quite limited to 20 like back in 1996 lol

Footy Stars has such a generic sounding name though and it looks like caricatures are back although in the form of Burst :D

so if there is 145 you would assume 8 cards per clubs and i replacement card maybe. it will be interesting to see what they are numbered to. How many cases do they normally do for series 1?

Anyone care to speculate on how many of the LE Bronlow Replica cards there will be? In reality there are probably only 20 players that have a shot at winning it. That replica bronwlow medal signature card sounds sweet.

I haven't bought much of this series in the past but I'd like a few predictor cards to be in the running for the brownlow sig card

I think there are 145 different BP cards.

144 /16 = 9 Players Per Team

+ 1 Overall Wild Card maybe?

Cheers
Matt

Back
Top Bottom