2015 Elite Review & Poll

Does the 2015 Elite product justify the significant price rise?

• Yes

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 76 95.0%

• Total voters

Brendan_B

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Brendan
eBay User
Brendan3767
I thought I would throw together a quick review for 15 Elite. I have also added a poll in relation to the price rise, like to hear everyone's thoughts.

Base set: The design is okay. I like the nine card team sets but would prefer the team emblem to be within that 9 card set. I would still like to see them mix up the base set with a common subset.

Parallels (silver & gold): To many parallels. One set only and please with a different image to the base set. I like the gold parallels so if one level were to go I would like the gold to stay.

Pennants: These are a nice looking card with a good player selection. Perfect for a 1:6 insert. The issues for me are 80 in the set and the tops of the card are often not cut straight.

Club Champions: These are a bit plain but have grown on me. I have always liked the Club Player and Team of the Year sets previously. These are good cards for team collectors which is what nearly everyone seems to be reverting to these days.

Young Guns: Without a doubt the best looking box hit ESP have produced. Good player selection, great design and feel really good in hand. As a box hit maybe 32 in the set is an overkill.

Young Gun Signatures: Initially I was hoping that the YGS would not feature in the YG set. Unfortunately this was not to be. The player selection is out of ESP's hands as we know but there are some great players. The blue is not so much an issue as the thickness of the marker used and as a result the signatures don't look great. Signing in that big white space almost looks like a sticker auto to me. Considering that there were no LS this release these signatures should have been something a bit special. The best signatures produced by ESP so far in my opinion were the 13 Traders YG's (shame they weren't numbered) and the 13 Elite LS and FS. The signature cards being produced by ESP now are too 'busy' and that really takes the focus away from the signature IMO.

Quads: I really like these. I don't mind some of the lesser players featuring on mid range inserts for starters, this is great from a team collectors perspective. The concept and design is good also and I think these will be quite sought after in years to come.

All Stars: The cards themselves are fine. Nothing really special but not horrible either. The player selection is a bit curious though. I don't know why you would have a Moylan jersey card, jersey sign and All Star. As this is one of the higher end cards it should have featured players from the teams that didn't get a jersey card.

Mojo Parallels: Awesome concept! It is great that you can jag a team set from one pack and the a nice low number also. Given the high end nature of this set though they should have been different player images at the least and maybe something else to make them standout. The player image or club logo raised or something along those lines. The fact that these cards are coming out damaged due to the hologram on the previous card is concerning. Perhaps these should have been via a redemption?

Jersey Cards / Jersey Signatures: Great to see ESP listening, the cards themselves look good but the player selection for such a high end card is not good. I am aware that there were issues obtaining a jersey from an elite player but to be honest I don't think a fan would care from which game the jersey was worn. Was there any reason ESP couldn't buy a game worn jersey from one of the elite players through auction?

Case Cards: For starters case cards need to be numbered, after all they are a decent hit being one per case. The Road to Immortality case cards look quite cheap IMO. I don't mind the concept, maybe as a 1:48 or 1:72 hit with other elite players. ESP's case cards really haven't been great across all of their releases so far.

OVERALL
I don't mind the product but I don't think that the product justifies the significant price rise. The high end AFL is still only $6 per packet and that release looks great with heaps of signatures and numbered cards. As a case buster you are safe with this release, it is the single box buyers and packet buyers who are getting hurt due to the price and the very real possibility that you will not get a hit better than an unsigned YG. This is the first release since I have been back collecting that I have not purchased a folder and put together a base set and at least one low end insert set. I have chased / am chasing the Raiders cards for my PC and that is it.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts!

I don't know that case buyers are completely safe. In one of digeze double case break the other night one case had 11 hits other only had 9. Worked out ok bc it was double case break, but if you bought a case and only get 9 hits you would be annoyed.

As a team collector, I notice the set was too heavy on certain teams and other teams just quads and a signed young gun.

Good to see them putting the set in alphabetical again!

I brought less cards in this set from newsagents as it isn't available and no starter packs

So you would weigh 240 packs to get one.

Im not sure of too many newsgencies around my neck of the woods that will allow you to take in a set of scales and weigh each individual package out of 240 potentially to try and find a pack that may weigh a tiny bit more then the next.

That may require you to open up to 10 boxes

So you would weigh 240 packs to get one.

Im not sure of too many newsgencies around my neck of the woods that will allow you to take in a set of scales and weigh each individual package out of 240 potentially to try and find a pack that may weigh a tiny bit more then the next.

That may require you to open up to 10 boxes
Most newsagents don't have much more than 3 boxes for display or show so, it's more a chance of trying your luck where you can. It's not guaranteed.

Also I think each parallel adds just under 2 grams to a pack so it may weigh significantly more.

I dont think I would go to the effort to score it like that.

I wont buy much more of this series anyways as I have completed what I want and no newsagents within my local area has them.

For the record I really like this series but cant justify it being such a significant price rise. I think the AFL cards are on about the right money as a high end release.

I don't know that case buyers are completely safe. In one of digeze double case break the other night one case had 11 hits other only had 9. Worked out ok bc it was double case break, but if you bought a case and only get 9 hits you would be annoyed.

Fair point. I meant more along the lines that if you get a dud box or packets it is bad luck. If you are a case buyer you can at least rest assured knowing you will get some hits.

The Jersey signatures are 1:3 cases and and there should be 10 cases with an extra mojo packet, that might explain the variance in hits per case

Was curious so I walked down to the kitchen (not sure how good my scales are)
pretty tough task if you ask me lol
image.jpg
image.jpg

Most newsagents don't have much more than 3 boxes for display or show so, it's more a chance of trying your luck where you can. It's not guaranteed.

Also I think each parallel adds just under 2 grams to a pack so it may weigh significantly more.

I am aware people do this, don't think it is very good form.

Something to remember is that the newsagent distributor, Network have only been providing one or two boxes per order so they would have been breaking down the cases before delivery. This means that buying packets from boxes in a newsagent is a massive lottery. You might hit 3 boxes in a row with mojo packets or 10 in a row with none.

Another good point I forgot to mention is that at least boxes don't appear to be searchable (not sure about cases). Any hits that I have been lucky enough to jag have all been from different parts of a box.

Base set: Typical Elite, Kind of Boring

Parallels (silver & gold): With the introduction of the Ruby I would of liked to see the Silver Parallel stay a traders Exclusive colour. one parallel is enough when it is the same image

Pennants: Not a bad insert set for low end, good players and I like how some don't feature in the team sets.

Club Champions: These look like they should of been the low end insert the pennants look better in my opinion. I would of liked to see these as a Die-Cut card, move the elite and club logo to the bottom and trim up the sides along the lines for a different look

Young Guns: By Far the best looking set of cards of the series at one per box, it will be an effort chasing down a full set, I do wonder if they should of been one per club, they other player to the signed version

Young Gun Signatures: The Blue Ink Puts me off but it may be the thickness of it as @Brendan_B mentioned, hard to say but it doesn't look right.. does anyone know why they decided on blue?? I'm a little disappointed it doesn't have the same effect as the standard YG cards and I think the young guns logo is way to large. awesome choice for some of the players!!

Quads: not a bad set I like how people are trying to match the numbers, the name is a little off though I understand over two cards there are 4 players but the card itself is only a Duo, has anyone put together a full set yet?

All Stars: I neither like or dislike these cards, have not had one in my hands to look at. but am happy I don't have to pick any up for the PC

Mojo Parallels: I like the idea, but I am not sure if NRL really warrants a 3rd set of parallels I would of much preferred to see these on an acetate, or a redemption on a thicker stock card. the low numbers are great and a huge a bonus if you fluke a set in a box. and the red is a nice change from silver black and gold.. I wonder if it is a concept that will continue.

Jersey Cards / Jersey Signatures: have not had one in my hands to look at but from images they don't seem to bad, besides player choice I have notices a lot of the Moylan patches seem to be sideways which kinda would bug me if I had a couple

Case Cards: I like case card ideas but this years seems to be the weakest ones design wise i have seen

OVERALL
Its been fun hunting some of the cards and I was lucky enough to get a mojo which got me the sharks set but I don't think there is value for the RRP of $9 last years elite I purchased heaps every time I went to the newsagent I grab a couple of packs, but now grabbing one Pack seems less appealing to me so I wont purchase more then I have, I have a base set and one card short of the sharks inserts and after that I wont be looking at any more elite for 2015..

Another good point I forgot to mention is that at least boxes don't appear to be searchable (not sure about cases). Any hits that I have been lucky enough to jag have all been from different parts of a box.

This is true for the most part, but what I did notice is you can feel the hologram of the last card of the mojo through the pack, so if you wanted to and the newsagency didn't stop you, you could feel up every pack looking for that raised hologram.

ill post my review in a minute, but being that the mojo pack is heavier, im now wondering if cases then become searchable by weighing the boxes....

Base set: I don't mind the design of the base cards at all. In my mind one of the better ESP designed base cards so far. Would love to see action shots like the old Scanlens cards again though...In relation to cards per team set, I agree that 9 is a good number and support @Brendan_B idea of having the logo as part of the 9 cards. I think it would look great if the team logo card (also to be included in the parallel version/s) was situated in the middle so that when they go into the folder, the logo is in the centre (the same way they did it with the Galactic Logo's in Traders)

Parallels (silver & gold): I understand completely what some say about too many parallels, same image etc etc, but as a team collector only, and looking at it from a presentation perspective, I really like the look of the 3 cards (base, silver and gold) side by side in my folder. I did notice that the parallels this year appeared to show up scuff marks and scratches much more than previous versions.

Pennants: Cards are much better in hand than pictured. I do agree that 80 is too many for an insert sub set. Maybe cut down to 48 (3 per team)???

Club Champions: Don't mind these. They have much more appeal when they are all together as opposed to individual cards in my opinion.

Young Guns: Agree with everything Brendan said here. Without a doubt the best looking box hit ESP have produced. Good player selection, great design and feel really good in hand. As a box hit maybe 32 in the set is an overkill.

Young Gun Signatures: This is a really good set. Lucky to have landed some players of the future in this series. Brendan makes a point with the big white signature box. Some of the players' signatures are quite small and there is an awful lot of room which in some cases make the card look awkward. Not quite sure how to rectify this issue. The blue signature doesn't bother me at all as it fits in nicely with the Knights. It may look a bit weird with other teams that do not have blue as part of their team colours though. Do we need to have Blue, Red and Black sigs depending on the team????

Quads: One of the best cards from the set in my opinion, both from a design and player selection point of view.

All Stars: Really like the 2 different designs depicting the NRL All Stars and the Indigenous All Stars. A worthy addition to the series.

Mojo Parallels: Great idea and hopefully will continue in future releases. These appear to be the most sought after cards in the whole series and the biggest drawcard for 2015 Elite. I agree that a Redemption card would be the best way to keep them protected

Jersey Cards / Jersey Signatures: Once again a fantastic concept, but was let down by the player selection (understand the level of control that ESP has in this regard). I don't think JWH or Moylan would be considered as a let down to the fans of those respective teams, however the selections of Bolton and Thompson brings this concept back to Earth a bit ( with all due respect to those players). I do agree with Brendans comment that fans or collectors wouldn't really care if the jersey used was from a Qualifying Final or from Round 16. I think ESP need to look at getting a better player selection for each team and look at jerseys from throughout the season worn by the Elite players. I know some people complain about seeing the same players featuring in the higher end cards (too many Thurston's or Slater's etc etc), but these are not simply "another card". These are cards containing a piece of a match worn jersey of the games greatest players. Something entirely different in my opinion. Something new that collectors don't have at the moment.

Case Cards: Totally agree that case cards should be numbered. Don't mind the "Road to Immortality" idea other than that.

OVERALL
I really like the product as a whole. Some really good designs, a range of numbered inserts and some really good new ideas. Most of the case breaks I have seen have had a really good cross selection of teams represented. As far as the price rise is concerned I really believe the price is reflective of what the set COULD be rather than what the set IS. Let's just assume that the jersey cards had the big name players and that the other 4 teams in the top 8 were represented as well. Lets assume that the case cards were numbered. All of a sudden the price rise doesn't seem so bad to me. It's just the execution that needs work....

My Opinions:
Base set:
I dont mind the design, however prefer to have more players per team. Seeing the price tag tho, I would have expected a higher quality feel and/or design, even just the lines to be in gold/silver or something, to give them a premium look.

Parallels (silver & gold): Not a fan of multiple parallels. There has been a lot of comments around having different images here, however for me the meaning of parallel is that its the same image, just in silver/gold or some other color. Only 1 parallel in the future please!

Pennants: The big miss in this set is the inconsistencies in the cuts, a shocker as it is so obvious with the design of the cards. The set itself I dont mind at the ratio it was inserted.

Club Champions: Too basic for a 2 per box insert, for this type of design I would have expected it to be a 4 or 6 per box item. Expanding the player selection could have been an option, however combined with the pennants would have made 2 fairly large subsets - would have been better to just improve the design.

Young Guns: Solid hit here and clearly the stand-out of the set. These feel excellent in hand perfect for a 1 per box hit and love that there are 2 per team. Best design of the set by far and really the only highlight.

Young Gun Signatures: Extremely disappointed, the picture is cut and doesn't flow like on the unsigned - the player image doesn't bleed into the Text and the background just stops, it looks wrong and makes these disappointing. The blue pen is fine as a color, however it looks like an overused whiteboard marker, the ink has started to bleed slightly and its just way too thick.

Quads: Another miss - the design is ok, nothing spectacular here, however this should have been a 1 per box item. Obviously that would have changed the #s - but they could have added a 3rd category if they wanted to keep the numbers down. I really dont see these holding value

All Stars: Really nice design - not sure why 1 of the All Stars cards is gold and the others are silver - seems very strange, however I dont understand why they limited it to only 9 players that played, this should have been a 1 in 2 box hit with a set of All Stars and and set of Indigenous All Stars as the 2 subsets in this.

Mojo Parallels: Excellent idea - poor design. After already having 2 parallels, the last thing we need is another parallel set. These should have been different images and NOT a parallel set, just a team set, could have been 9 cards (with the base set being 12 or something) - Not having the team logo included is also a miss on my part, the team logo is important in any set and is no different in this. Love the low numbering. Another idea I would have liked to have seen with these would have been foil signatures. I think these are likely one of the only items that will hold its value over time and that is simply due to the low numbering only.

Jersey Cards / Jersey Signatures: Again, excellent idea - poor execution. The players chosen are... wtf... Then there is the problem with the panther jersey not being the one on the card image, again... wtf... Also, why limit this to 4 players and to not include the premiers? I am glad they finally released some jersey stuff, but what a disappointment. I would have liked to have seen these in packs too, compared to having to redeem - there are lots of examples of how to ensure boxes/cases aren't searched for these type items (this applies to the mojo pack as well), as a collector I much prefer to pull an item out of a pack, compared to pull an item, send it in and then 4 weeks later I actually get to see my card. The design of the signature jersey cards is also not to my tastes, it looks dated and cheap imo.

Case Cards: How are these not numbered? Why isn't there a small number of signature case cards? These are the sorts of things that you need to offer up to turn box buyers into case buyers.

OVERALL
The price rise was completely unjustified with this release. There are the workings of some good ideas, but they need to be significantly improved. There also needed to be at least 1 other quality subset and then something that replaces one of the parallel sets. Comparatively with the AFL premium set Honors 2 completely blows this set out of the water, looking at both sets prior to release, I felt NRL had the edge, however Select delivered on and exceeded expectations, however ESP went the complete opposite way and in hind sight it appears as if our concerns were valid back then, ESP didn't want to release information because they knew they were selling an inferior product :(. Purchasing a case @ the low-presale prices, its hard to make your money back - and if that's the situation moving forward, people end up just buying individual off ebay/forums and eventually distributors stop stocking up. Prices have already declined significantly (as expected, initial prices are always higher) and I dont see many cards in this series holding their value over time.

Rating: 4/10

My Opinions:
Base set:
I dont mind the design, however prefer to have more players per team. Seeing the price tag tho, I would have expected a higher quality feel and/or design, even just the lines to be in gold/silver or something, to give them a premium look.

Parallels (silver & gold): Not a fan of multiple parallels. There has been a lot of comments around having different images here, however for me the meaning of parallel is that its the same image, just in silver/gold or some other color. Only 1 parallel in the future please!

Pennants: The big miss in this set is the inconsistencies in the cuts, a shocker as it is so obvious with the design of the cards. The set itself I dont mind at the ratio it was inserted.

Club Champions: Too basic for a 2 per box insert, for this type of design I would have expected it to be a 4 or 6 per box item. Expanding the player selection could have been an option, however combined with the pennants would have made 2 fairly large subsets - would have been better to just improve the design.

Young Guns: Solid hit here and clearly the stand-out of the set. These feel excellent in hand perfect for a 1 per box hit and love that there are 2 per team. Best design of the set by far and really the only highlight.

Young Gun Signatures: Extremely disappointed, the picture is cut and doesn't flow like on the unsigned - the player image doesn't bleed into the Text and the background just stops, it looks wrong and makes these disappointing. The blue pen is fine as a color, however it looks like an overused whiteboard marker, the ink has started to bleed slightly and its just way too thick.

Quads: Another miss - the design is ok, nothing spectacular here, however this should have been a 1 per box item. Obviously that would have changed the #s - but they could have added a 3rd category if they wanted to keep the numbers down. I really dont see these holding value

All Stars: Really nice design - not sure why 1 of the All Stars cards is gold and the others are silver - seems very strange, however I dont understand why they limited it to only 9 players that played, this should have been a 1 in 2 box hit with a set of All Stars and and set of Indigenous All Stars as the 2 subsets in this.

Mojo Parallels: Excellent idea - poor design. After already having 2 parallels, the last thing we need is another parallel set. These should have been different images and NOT a parallel set, just a team set, could have been 9 cards (with the base set being 12 or something) - Not having the team logo included is also a miss on my part, the team logo is important in any set and is no different in this. Love the low numbering. Another idea I would have liked to have seen with these would have been foil signatures. I think these are likely one of the only items that will hold its value over time and that is simply due to the low numbering only.

Jersey Cards / Jersey Signatures: Again, excellent idea - poor execution. The players chosen are... wtf... Then there is the problem with the panther jersey not being the one on the card image, again... wtf... Also, why limit this to 4 players and to not include the premiers? I am glad they finally released some jersey stuff, but what a disappointment. I would have liked to have seen these in packs too, compared to having to redeem - there are lots of examples of how to ensure boxes/cases aren't searched for these type items (this applies to the mojo pack as well), as a collector I much prefer to pull an item out of a pack, compared to pull an item, send it in and then 4 weeks later I actually get to see my card. The design of the signature jersey cards is also not to my tastes, it looks dated and cheap imo.

Case Cards: How are these not numbered? Why isn't there a small number of signature case cards? These are the sorts of things that you need to offer up to turn box buyers into case buyers.

OVERALL
The price rise was completely unjustified with this release. There are the workings of some good ideas, but they need to be significantly improved. There also needed to be at least 1 other quality subset and then something that replaces one of the parallel sets. Comparatively with the AFL premium set Honors 2 completely blows this set out of the water, looking at both sets prior to release, I felt NRL had the edge, however Select delivered on and exceeded expectations, however ESP went the complete opposite way and in hind sight it appears as if our concerns were valid back then, ESP didn't want to release information because they knew they were selling an inferior product :(. Purchasing a case @ the low-presale prices, its hard to make your money back - and if that's the situation moving forward, people end up just buying individual off ebay/forums and eventually distributors stop stocking up. Prices have already declined significantly (as expected, initial prices are always higher) and I dont see many cards in this series holding their value over time.

Rating: 4/10
Interesting read.

If this set was at the same price point as the afl honours 2, what would your thoughts on score be??

To me it's a decent set buy the main restriction on a lot of buyers is price point

Back
Top Bottom