2010 FIFA World Cup Thread! (Spoilers in Results Area)

Who will win the 2010 FIFA World Cup?

• Brazil

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Spain

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Germany

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • England

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Portugal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italy

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • France

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Argentina

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
all star team ???

---------- Post added 12-07-2010 at 12:57 PM ----------

when they picking it

Re: 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread!

I think England will have a good tournament, semi-finals AT LEAST.
As for Greece I can't see them getting trough to the knockout stages.
Why do you support them mate? You from there?

I hope either Spain or Holland win the whole thing. They play the most entertaining football IMO. I also hope Argentina, and Leo Messi in particular, do well.

hahahah good pick

I pick the Netherlands to win the whole thing but not quite....

yeah but at the same time Spain played like crap... and lets get it straight now, i had money on Spain to win, but after their first group loss i was doubting they would make it past the Quarter Finals at most.

yeah but at the same time Spain played like crap... and lets get it straight now, i had money on Spain to win, but after their first group loss i was doubting they would make it past the Quarter Finals at most.

You can't really think a team is going to win and then when they lose one game think they'll get the last 8.......
But then again, I guess I am quite an over-loyal Spanish supporter. I thought they would win from the start.

My Best Team of The Tournament

(Just went with 4-4-2)

------------------Casillas----------------------
--Ramos-----Puyol----Pique-------Capdevila--------
--Iniesta----Sneijder---Schweinsteiger------Ozil-----------
-------------Villa-----Muller------------------------

Muller really isnt much of a RM so i really should have gone a 4-3-3 and i was clearly a little bias towards Spain.

My Best Team of The Tournament

(Just went with 4-4-2)

------------------Casillas----------------------
--Ramos-----Puyol----Pique-------Maicon--------
--Iniesta----Sneijder----Ayew-----Muller-----------
-------------Villa-----Forlan------------------------

haha what did i tell you----

Thierry Henry just signed for New York in the MLS

and in other news France have dropped 12 places on the FIFA World Rankings, placing them at 21, meaning AUSTRALIA are ranked higher than France!!!

lol australia > france. there team is good yet they suck. mls eww henry will just get worse and worse now

Checked the new rankings yesterday - Holland have crept up to second and Spain are 1st by a long,long way!

---------- Post added 16-07-2010 at 10:24 AM ----------

Here is the All Star team in case you haven't heard.....;

Iker Casillas:The error for which Spain suffered defeat in their opener against Switzerland thrust ammunition into his critics’ pens. Six flawless performances thereafter definitively up their ink. Casillas saved a penalty and made two other excellent stops in their quarter-final win over Paraguay, while his reflexes were crucial to a fourth successive 1-0 win over the Netherlands in the Final. The adidas Golden Glove recipient received 41 per cent of the goalkeeping votes – 29 per cent more than his nearest challenger.

Philipp Lahm: The right-back’s impeccability as a footballer – and influence as his country’s stand-in captain – were paramount to Germany’s unforeseen run to third place. The 26-year-old right-back may fail to intimidate opponents with his slight, 1.70m frame, but he has a rare ability to steal the ball with class rather than clout. Lahm’s distribution was typically astute, and 43.81 per cent of the votes made him the only member of the last FIFA World Cup’s All-Star Team to reclaim his position.

Carles Puyol:perhaps not at his dynamic best in the group stage, the 32-year-old swiftly found the form that has helped Barcelona and Spain enjoy such rich success in recent years. He scored the only goal in the semi-final reverse of Germany, thumping a header he had no right to win past Manuel Neuer, while his indomitable defending was indispensable to La Roja keeping five clean sheets en route to gold.

Maicon: Struggling to break down Korea DPR on their curtain-raiser, Brazil needed something special. They got it from their No2, a goal from an impossible angle to kick-start their campaign. The 28-year-old’s rousing charges down the right flank were a persistent source of torment to opponents, while Maicon’s competent defending also earned him 31.45 per cent of the votes.

Sergio Ramos:Unyielding defensively and inventive offensively, the Spain No15 was the winner of the Castrol Index. He frustrated the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lukas Podolski, and provided a much-needed outlet down the right for Vicente Del Bosque’s side to collect 30.21 per cent of your votes.

Wesley Sneijder:A second-highest 60.60 per cent of the votes are indicative of the attacking midfielder’s output in South Africa. The 26-year-old incessantly demanded the ball and probed for openings when it was at his feet, while he scored an unsurpassed five goals, including both Dutch ones in the 2-1 win over Brazil in the quarter-finals. One exquisite, volleyed pass from the Inter Milan ace put Robben through on goal in the Final. The latter may have spurned that chance, but Sneijder certainly took his opportunity to dazzle at the FIFA World Cup.

Bastian Schweinsteiger:The 25-year-old came of age in South Africa. He covered 79.80 km – a total better only by Spain’s Xavi – made some decisive tackles and underlined what an effective passer he is. Giving out instructions and encouragement from the engine room, it was as he wore an invisible armband. Superb in emphatic victories over Australia, England and Argentina, and worthy of the 39.96 votes you gave him.

Andres Iniesta:Cometh the hour, cometh the man – that ‘hour’ was the dying embers of a goalless Final; that man was the Spain magician, who touched the ball perfectly into his path and dispatched it past Netherlands Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg. Iniesta has also excelled in Spain’s journey to the decider with his handsome skills and clever passes.

Xavi: The Spain linchpin covered more ground and made more passes than any other player in South Africa – and how sumptuous some of those through-balls were. The fulcrum of the Roja machine, he earned 36.96 per cent of the votes.

David Villa: The pressure was firmly on El Guaje throughout the tournament, and under it he thrived. He scored a joint-highest five goals, including the only ones in the Round of 16 against Portugal and quarter-final against Paraguay. The fact that he got 61.33 per cent of your votes tells its own story.

Diego Forlan:It was always going to take a Herculean effort for Uruguay to reach the last four. The 31-year-old forward was up to the role of playing Hercules. Five goals and some selfless, inspirational overall play earned him the adidas Golden Ball and a place in this All-Star Team.

Coach
Vicente Del Bosque: Some of his decisions were questioned before the tournament and in the group stage. All of them were vindicated by that hallowed Trophy.

Checked the new rankings yesterday - Holland have crept up to second and Spain are 1st by a long,long way!

---------- Post added 16-07-2010 at 10:24 AM ----------

Here is the All Star team in case you haven't heard.....;

Iker Casillas:The error for which Spain suffered defeat in their opener against Switzerland thrust ammunition into his critics’ pens. Six flawless performances thereafter definitively up their ink. Casillas saved a penalty and made two other excellent stops in their quarter-final win over Paraguay, while his reflexes were crucial to a fourth successive 1-0 win over the Netherlands in the Final. The adidas Golden Glove recipient received 41 per cent of the goalkeeping votes – 29 per cent more than his nearest challenger.

Philipp Lahm: The right-back’s impeccability as a footballer – and influence as his country’s stand-in captain – were paramount to Germany’s unforeseen run to third place. The 26-year-old right-back may fail to intimidate opponents with his slight, 1.70m frame, but he has a rare ability to steal the ball with class rather than clout. Lahm’s distribution was typically astute, and 43.81 per cent of the votes made him the only member of the last FIFA World Cup’s All-Star Team to reclaim his position.

Carles Puyol:perhaps not at his dynamic best in the group stage, the 32-year-old swiftly found the form that has helped Barcelona and Spain enjoy such rich success in recent years. He scored the only goal in the semi-final reverse of Germany, thumping a header he had no right to win past Manuel Neuer, while his indomitable defending was indispensable to La Roja keeping five clean sheets en route to gold.

Maicon: Struggling to break down Korea DPR on their curtain-raiser, Brazil needed something special. They got it from their No2, a goal from an impossible angle to kick-start their campaign. The 28-year-old’s rousing charges down the right flank were a persistent source of torment to opponents, while Maicon’s competent defending also earned him 31.45 per cent of the votes.

Sergio Ramos:Unyielding defensively and inventive offensively, the Spain No15 was the winner of the Castrol Index. He frustrated the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lukas Podolski, and provided a much-needed outlet down the right for Vicente Del Bosque’s side to collect 30.21 per cent of your votes.

Wesley Sneijder:A second-highest 60.60 per cent of the votes are indicative of the attacking midfielder’s output in South Africa. The 26-year-old incessantly demanded the ball and probed for openings when it was at his feet, while he scored an unsurpassed five goals, including both Dutch ones in the 2-1 win over Brazil in the quarter-finals. One exquisite, volleyed pass from the Inter Milan ace put Robben through on goal in the Final. The latter may have spurned that chance, but Sneijder certainly took his opportunity to dazzle at the FIFA World Cup.

Bastian Schweinsteiger:The 25-year-old came of age in South Africa. He covered 79.80 km – a total better only by Spain’s Xavi – made some decisive tackles and underlined what an effective passer he is. Giving out instructions and encouragement from the engine room, it was as he wore an invisible armband. Superb in emphatic victories over Australia, England and Argentina, and worthy of the 39.96 votes you gave him.

Andres Iniesta:Cometh the hour, cometh the man – that ‘hour’ was the dying embers of a goalless Final; that man was the Spain magician, who touched the ball perfectly into his path and dispatched it past Netherlands Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg. Iniesta has also excelled in Spain’s journey to the decider with his handsome skills and clever passes.

Xavi: The Spain linchpin covered more ground and made more passes than any other player in South Africa – and how sumptuous some of those through-balls were. The fulcrum of the Roja machine, he earned 36.96 per cent of the votes.

David Villa: The pressure was firmly on El Guaje throughout the tournament, and under it he thrived. He scored a joint-highest five goals, including the only ones in the Round of 16 against Portugal and quarter-final against Paraguay. The fact that he got 61.33 per cent of your votes tells its own story.

Diego Forlan:It was always going to take a Herculean effort for Uruguay to reach the last four. The 31-year-old forward was up to the role of playing Hercules. Five goals and some selfless, inspirational overall play earned him the adidas Golden Ball and a place in this All-Star Team.

Coach
Vicente Del Bosque: Some of his decisions were questioned before the tournament and in the group stage. All of them were vindicated by that hallowed Trophy.

yeh i had the ones in red in my dream team. i didnt agree with a few decisions im a spain fan and i though xavi had a crap world cup, i thought pique peformed better than puyol overall and i pretty much agree with all other decisions

Me too - I think that Xavi didn't play nearly as well as Iniesta or Fabregas when he came on.
But anyway, if this is correct then I reckon he deserved his place;
The Spain linchpin covered more ground and made more passes than any other player in South Africa – and how sumptuous some of those through-balls were. The fulcrum of the Roja machine, he earned 36.96 per cent of the votes.

i just checked the ifa rankings after you mentioned it there is a few strange ones now

Xavi definitely deserved his place, he was their playmaker for every gaol they scored, he was their rock in the midfield. also i agree that Bastian Shweinstiger should be in. hr was great as a holding midfielder for the young germans and showed a lot of poise and class when on the ball, i think puyol was in as he was a constant threat at set pieces and scored the winning goal in the semi

what about Thomas Mueller? Yes he is young but after winning young player and Golden Boot you'd think he be in the team. And 4 Barcelona players as well

Xavi definitely deserved his place, he was their playmaker for every gaol they scored, he was their rock in the midfield. also i agree that Bastian Shweinstiger should be in. hr was great as a holding midfielder for the young germans and showed a lot of poise and class when on the ball, i think puyol was in as he was a constant threat at set pieces and scored the winning goal in the semi

100% disagree lol. but i think muller should of been in there but really he didnt play first game? got suspended for 1 of the games so was just a very good impact player

Back
Top Bottom