Your collection, access, storage and insurance

MattWasGF4L

Administrator
Real Name
Matt
COMC User
GarnettFan4Life
Might be a good thread to sticky later

How do you store your collection? - folders, toploaders, one touches, safe, cabinet, vault PWCC etc

How do you protect your collection? - grading, UV protective mags, UV protective graded card holders, fire proof safe, humidifiers for room, insurance company

How do you access your collection? - grab from a nearby shelf, mainly only look at via apps or sites like instagram/MERQARY etc

Last edited:
Mine are stored variously according to category - sets either in 5000 ct storage boxes or clear cases depending on value. Pc's are definitely in albums - each card penny sleeved before going into a page.

All are physically accessible.

Insurance is with nrma under collectables.

How do people keep humidity out of fire proof safes?

almost had some drama today - went to organise some cards, found the damp rid satchel had filled and leaked during the last week since I checked - was so weird - bottom of one of the boxes with loose cards was wet but hadnt got through to the cards yet, must have had a dual layer or something. Anyway - got a different style of absorber in there now and see how it goes.

was looking to run a low power humidity controller but can’t do it as it’s fully sealed. What to do?!

Mine are stored variously according to category - sets either in 5000 ct storage boxes or clear cases depending on value. Pc's are definitely in albums - each card penny sleeved before going into a page.

All are physically accessible.

Insurance is with nrma under collectables.

is trading cards specified in the fine print! Like there’s no Risk it could not come under the collectables umbrella? ,
wouldn’t surprise me what the insurance companies would try to wiggle out of paying out

If you check the NRMA PDS they only cover up to $2500 for collectables. I only know this because I called them literally 2 weeks ago and told them I had trading cards of much more value and the person on the line told me they would cover for all of it. I asked them to prove it and they referred me to the PDS. I then advised her on the phone that it clearly specifies only $2500, and then she agreed they would only cover for $2500. Moral of the story is do not trust what these people say on the phone as they clearly do not know their product.

If you check the NRMA PDS they only cover up to $2500 for collectables. I only know this because I called them literally 2 weeks ago and told them I had trading cards of much more value and the person on the line told me they would cover for all of it. I asked them to prove it and they referred me to the PDS. I then advised her on the phone that it clearly specifies only $2500, and then she agreed they would only cover for $2500. Moral of the story is do not trust what these people say on the phone as they clearly do not know their product.
I've had mine since 2002 and did it up in person. Think my overall collectables coverage is around the 30k mark. Never heard of a pds. Mine is under house and contents so that might be the difference.

I've had mine since 2002 and did it up in person. Think my overall collectables coverage is around the 30k mark. Never heard of a pds. Mine is under house and contents so that might be the difference.
Oh right if you did it in person you should be sweet. This was under house and contents and me trying to get a new policy so good you got in early then!

Oh right if you did it in person you should be sweet. This was under house and contents and me trying to get a new policy so good you got in early then!
Must have done. I think, you might be able to still get a big collectables coverage (well, decent), by renegotiating the terms as opposed to getting a completely new policy. That's my understanding at any rate, so.... Who knows.

All my cards are stored in top loaders or one touches. PC generally gets the One Touch treatment with all trade bait getting top loaders.

Once they are in their protection I store them in plastic drawers I bought at Kmart. They never really see the light of day unfortunately.

Digitally, they're all stored on MERQARY as it is super easy to identify what you've got when asked! I also have Instagram accounts to show off my cards.

I always assumed cards would be insured under house and contents insurance?

I just store mine in either top loaders, one touches, or slabs - all in PVC bags. Then all of these live in one of those white card boxes in a cupboard. :lol:

I keep a spreadsheet and images of every card I have at all times, and update whenever something comes in/leaves. Gonna transfer this to Google Slides or something 100% online soon I think.

Have previously thought about getting a safety deposit box for stuff I plan on holding, but not sure if that's any improvement or not. It's not like I have cards worth $10k each haha.

Just waiting on a delivery of some one-touches and a few 25 top loader holders cases to finish organising my very small collection. One touches for the better ones, the rest just in top loaders. I have a big plastic tub at home for those, ~6 folders with my base sets and a few sealed wax boxes. And have one of those metal desiccant packs but it probably spends most of its time fully absorbed, I don't reset it very often.

For my slabs and sealed 93 Ultra box I had some fun earlier this year carving up a craftright safe case, and have another desiccant pack in there too.

My original childhood cards have travelled with me in a basic cardboard box for years with no issue at all so the desiccant is overkill, particularly for a meagre collection.

I’ve been re-thinking how great one touches are apart from looking good. I had a card I wanted to put in but the card stock is slightly warped and it wouldn’t sit in right. Would be a stick candidate in future years? Not enough evidence yet to prove imo

I’ve been re-thinking how great one touches are apart from looking good. I had a card I wanted to put in but the card stock is slightly warped and it wouldn’t sit in right. Would be a stick candidate in future years? Not enough evidence yet to prove imo

I read somewhere about putting a penny sleeve inside but just sitting over the top of the card to avoid sticking, no idea if it'll help but it detracts from the look of the card. I only got my first one touch a few months back though so never had anything in them for the long haul.

I bought a card recently and the card was stuck. It was probably in the one touch for 10 years going by the damage and scratches.

Managed to get it unstuck without damage

Might be a good thread to sticky later

How do you store your collection? - folders, toploaders, one touches, safe, cabinet, vault PWCC etc

How do you protect your collection? - grading, UV protective mags, UV protective graded card holders, fire proof safe, humidifiers for room, insurance company

How do you access your collection? - grab from a nearby shelf, mainly only look at via apps or sites like instagram/MERQARY etc
mixture of toploaders, one touches and folders.

Definitely not on display (avoiding fading!) - fire proof safe https://www.dominatorsafes.com.au/ @drob50

This is the reason why I don't own anything super high end anymore. I just have no clue how to store something so valuable and fragile without constantly thinking about it.
It feels like having 10k+ cash sitting under your bed and you're always checking to see:
1. If it's still there
2. That it's not going to perish in a fire

For some reason I feel less stressed with 10x 1k cards than I do 1x 10k card.

I was just thinking about the time when I got back into the hobby around 2010 and how the common thing to do was store your cards digitally on Photobucket. Does anyone still use this anymore? Or, more to the point, does anyone track their collection online anymore?

It used to be; I'm keen on XXX card, check out my Photobucket to see if there is anything there to trade!

I may be biased (because I built it), but MERQARY is a super easy way to keep track of your collection online and find/suggest trades.

Do you think we are heading back to the pre-investor days of the collector being the dominant force in the hobby?

Back
Top Bottom