Too many forums!

Alistair

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Alistair
I know it's new, but I'm not a fan of the new-look forum.

Put quite simply, there are far too many forums!

How can football justify its own category? Understandably most people around here collect basketball, so I can understand a separate forum for that, but was there really a need to create so many new ones for other sports? Now it requires more effort and browsing to see other threads that might be of interest.

I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but it does not appear to be very user friendly for such a low traffic forum.

I'd have to agree...but I think they are there on a "use 'em or lose 'em" basis, so I guess we should live with them for a little while before dropping the hammer on them.

Football covers quite a few different codes......I personally think it SHOULD have it's own forum :)

I agree that the front page is probably too busy. Any suggestions to make it better ?

Personally, I think we need the individual sport forums. But perhaps need people to click on a main forum then that takes them to the different sub forums.

Any thoughts ?

maybe collapsable menus?

Wantlists
....NBA
....AFL
....NFL

Trading
....NBA
...AFL

etc etc

Why dont we just have "Bball Maildays" and "other sport maildays" and like wise for wantlists, for sale etc

In all honesty i dont think there was much of an issue with the way it used to be.

Now it requires more effort and browsing to see other threads that might be of interest.

I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but it does not appear to be very user friendly for such a low traffic forum.

Actually nothing is changed for browsing. Simply log on, click the 'new posts tab at the top and you will see all new posts since the last log in. There is no real need to browse every forum based on appeal unless you are starting a thread or looking for something older that hasn't been bumped since your last visit.

That 'new posts' thing is user friendly and has been there all this time :thumbsup:

It IS busy but its been asked for by members. Sorting out how it looks will be done later.

I am rapt there is a separate forum for baseball.

Maybe a single page to cover all baseball including maildays, wantlists, trades and box breaks.

So you would be happy with a

'post all baseball here' forum Matm??

I think personally that would cover it quite well and easily. But sub forums may be the go here in just the way the front page looks.

i think the new way is much better, the older system was way to bias toward basketball. sure thats what most collect NOW, but if the forum wants to grow it needs to appeal to other collectors.
i joined on recommendation from a friend and wasnt a huge fan at the start because i collected AFL and now nba, but there wasnt a good place for afl (now i collect nba).

the football forum will be slow now, but once the new season starts next year and the new boxes come out it will grow i am sure.

Chad,
looking at the forum front page it might be best to leave it as it is at the moment.
If all bundled in one it may be overlooked by other collectors.
As for myself when I see a new post regarding a mailday or box break for the other sports I always have a look.

Bundling all in one may prevent other members from seeing interesting posts.

Seeing the pages being populated will be the best way to determine if worthwhile or not.

The new look is fine, I don't really understand the issue - basketball and what not is at top its only BUSY so to speak if you are scrolling all the way down - but if basketball is your thing you don't really have to scroll down. I like the current set up wit the new forums.

If I was spending more time on forums and in cards I might even post a little bit more lol

I don't see why this is a problem..

you can minimize the forum you don't want to look... or expand later if you want to.. there's no biggie..

coz i would add into ignore list for people and minimize the particular forum section I don't want to have a look..

works fine with me

Linn - you are spot on. I totally forgot about that feature of Vbulletin.

If you look on the right hand side of the forums on the main page there are arrows in a circle in each section - clicking on those minimises and maximises each section. So if there is a section you don't want to see, just minimise it :)

In other news - i've removed the eBay Auction Listings forum from each section and moved all of the posts to the Buying/Selling/Trading forum. The reasoning behind that is that if you are listing something on eBay you are really selling it aren't you ?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do appreciate the ideas.

Linn - you are spot on. I totally forgot about that feature of Vbulletin.

If you look on the right hand side of the forums on the main page there are arrows in a circle in each section - clicking on those minimises and maximises each section. So if there is a section you don't want to see, just minimise it :)

In other news - i've removed the eBay Auction Listings forum from each section and moved all of the posts to the Buying/Selling/Trading forum. The reasoning behind that is that if you are listing something on eBay you are really selling it aren't you ?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do appreciate the ideas.

Is this one also the same one we use for showing off cards that other people have listed, or should we change to card discussions?

Member those "wtf" type listings we see?

A lot of people post those in Card Discussions anyways - so because it is a discussion re a card and not something you are buying, selling or trading it goes into card discussions.

Hope that makes sense.

How about ...

Everyone knows how picky i am but how about - Football talk and NBA/NBL going into the relevant sections now to tidy things up?

Back
Top Bottom