The NBL and Australian Basketball

MetallicA'

Ricky Davis Collector
eBay User
senyac1
I have followed the NBL ever since I can remember and I have seen some great players and teams play befour my eyes. After watching the game last night it just hit me that Basketball in Australia is going no where and soon is going to struggle to get people to fill the stands. All the talent in Australia end up going to play in Europe or College ball in America and not many players want to come play in the NBL because of the weak salaries and how it’s run. Rick Burton was a real pro and was actually really getting the NBL running in the right direction until just last week he leaves to be on some Olympic committee. It’s just operated by a bunch of morons with no idea and they all seem to think the NBL is just like pee wee basketball or something.

Brian Goorjian can’t be in charge of the Australian team anymore, he is the most biased person in terms of selecting the Australian team it’s not funny. We will continue to go no where with this guy in charge selecting like 5 players from his Sydney Kings side to play in the Australian/New Zealand Series. Russell Hinder and Luke Kendall quite simply should not be in the team, you can easily get better players to fill their spots even with all our stars out injured. I was impressed with David Anderson but his footwork skills need a lot of work, very slow at pivoting and posting up.

I would love to see the NBL scraped completely and started from scratch like what Soccer did with the A league. The old professional Australian Soccer league was lucky to get 100 people to the games and they canned it and got some wealthy and successful people to head the new league that would become the A-League. Not only is the League starting to become absolutely massive with huge fan base followings and marquee signings but it has just been included in the upcoming FIFA 08 game. You couldn’t honestly say that would ever have happened 5 years ago.

If they canned the NBL, re named the league, teams, fantasy drafted players, get people with loads of money behind it like Eddie Groves and start promoting the game better; it will draw international players to come play here and will put basketball back on the map. It just infuriates me to see Basketball in Australia continue to go no where and just how the league is run.

My team the Bullets used to pack the Entertainment Center with massive crowds of upwards of 8,000 and now they play in the Library where they are lucky to get 3,000.
Their has been many clubs fold over the years because of money and it will continue to be like that for years.

Something needs to be done as we have some good players coming up the ranks who are playing all over the world and we need to have a league that can co-exist with all the football codes and cricket and be just as successful.

Woah big read.

Bottom line for me: Basketball in Australia needs to improve. If we could get it to a level like Eurobasketball, then we would be somewhere.

Because the BEST competition is in the states, it'll NEVER be like it is there, but maybe we can keep improiving!

I think for a minute there it almost looked like it was picking up with the South Dragons/Mark Price deal but as we know that didn't work out. An idea of a league along the lines of the Soccer's A-Legaue is a good one but there's always the problem with cash, sponsorships etc. We need a few good, big name imports to revitalise the NBL. Remember the rumour way back about Rodman coming here to play.. ;)

Just watched the 1st game after recordin git from yesterday. Basketball in Oz has been on a steady decline since channel 7 ditched it and concentrated on AFL. The Wildcats used to fill the Entertainment centre over here and can now barely fill challenge stadium for gods sake!

Don't think Goorjian should have EVER been coaching the Boomers because: 1) Yes he is extremely biased, Jason Smith should prob not be in the team either and definately should not be starting. And 2) He is AMERICAN!

I was bitterly dissapointed when they didn't appoint Alan Black, great career as a player and pretty damn good as a coach.

i agree totally, the steady decline of our national comp over the last 5 years or so has been depressing. a complete revamp is needed, just like the A-league. of course, the great timing of things like the socceroos making the world cup and our amazing performances there certainly helped too. we need some big money backers, not some dodgy ass electronics brand like phillips to be the main sponser.

Just watched the 1st game after recordin git from yesterday. Basketball in Oz has been on a steady decline since channel 7 ditched it and concentrated on AFL. The Wildcats used to fill the Entertainment centre over here and can now barely fill challenge stadium for gods sake!

Don't think Goorjian should have EVER been coaching the Boomers because: 1) Yes he is extremely biased, Jason Smith should prob not be in the team either and definately should not be starting. And 2) He is AMERICAN!

I was bitterly dissapointed when they didn't appoint Alan Black, great career as a player and pretty damn good as a coach.

Geez Jase Gorj has been here for how many years now?? When he was first playing the Tigers weren't even in the NBL, StKilda had a top notch team and the game was played by very few people here at all. To say he shouldn't be coaching our squad when he has contributed so much to our league and sport here in OZ is a bit much isn't it. Gorj is pretty dinky di in my eyes.

To put it pretty simple is now kids don't want to grow up and play NBL. They have bigger stars in their eyes and bigger contracts to chase. The first chance they get they take a spot in a US college etc etc.

The NBL like nearly every other non NBA league has suffered from the global popularity of the sport itself.

One might say Jordan and the first sucessful NBA imports killed the NBL :blink:

Geez Jase Gorj has been here for how many years now?? When he was first playing the Tigers weren't even in the NBL, StKilda had a top notch team and the game was played by very few people here at all. To say he shouldn't be coaching our squad when he has contributed so much to our league and sport here in OZ is a bit much isn't it. Gorj is pretty dinky di in my eyes.

To put it pretty simple is now kids don't want to grow up and play NBL. They have bigger stars in their eyes and bigger contracts to chase. The first chance they get they take a spot in a US college etc etc.

The NBL like nearly every other non NBA league has suffered from the global popularity of the sport itself.

One might say Jordan and the first sucessful NBA imports killed the NBL :blink:

Fair enough, I only knew of him when he coached the Magic, so didn't realise he had been in our league for longer. The biased point still stands though, and ok he's a hell of a lot better the Smythe was!

Goorjian may be an Australian citizen but he is biased as hell, if we lose our series to NZ which we shouldn't from here than he should be entirely to blame. Yes Chad he may be a good coach at coaching in the NBL where only the bigger clubs like the Kings win anyway but he plain and simple should not be coaching the Australian team.

i agree totally, the steady decline of our national comp over the last 5 years or so has been depressing. a complete revamp is needed, just like the A-league. of course, the great timing of things like the socceroos making the world cup and our amazing performances there certainly helped too. we need some big money backers, not some dodgy ass electronics brand like phillips to be the main sponser.

Eddie Groves could be one he owns both the Bullets and 36ers i think and not to mention he is worth 150 Million and is the youngest man in Australia to own so much. Bullets were just about to fall out of the competition until he came in late to back them financially.

Good points made and i thought a thread would be good to discuss whats wrong with our crappy leauge ;)

Always Going To Be Hard To Get Ex-nba Players As Imports With The Nbl Salary Cap, Players Can Make More In Europe As We Have Seen With Newley Going Overseas And Other Players Over The Years.

Also I Remember Shaq Saying When He Retires From Nba He Would Like To Play In Oz... But That Was When He Was With The Magic..

Nbl Teams Should Try To Sign Some Of The Guys From And 1 !

The end of the day the NBL just doesnt have the backing. No big sponsors, the up and coming talent we just dont hear of. They usually ship off to the US for college.

An idea for development could be College or Uni teams similar to the US with their structure. We need to hear about the kids and more articles in the paper, they need to get people involved.

10 years time i seriously dont think their will be a NBL with the way its going. With Burton gone i think it will slide again. To sum it up they need, Money lots of it, a better development/youth system and free to AIR games and more exposure.

Is it in all seriousness worth considering becoming or forming a truly Asian based league much similar to Euroleague type format.

I dont to be honest follow the NBL at all, aside from what news i may see on proexposure.com which highlights international basketball.

But more a case of whether in the same vein as mentioned previously the league heads towards a similar lay-out as the A-League with teams in major cities only Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, New Zealand, Sinagpore.

In addition the leagues in South Korea, Japan and the Phillipines of the top of my head attract reasonable money and sponsorship (from what i have read) and also reasonable names, including numerous ex-NBA, CBA, USBL players and coaches.

More a case of i suppose of broadening the horizons and potential market, greater tv and viewing markets generally from my personal experience in business generates greater cash flow....and ideally greater competition on the court as well i would assume...

Anyways that's my 5 cents worth (under the rounding system) and well Andrew Vlahov has longed for greater exposure and prescence in the Asia/Pacific rim and this if he gets some type fo senior management role in the NBL/BA wash-out this may eventuate...

The problem is that this country loves football (AFL, League & Union). Basketball will never be big here.

yeh this country sucks, but they only like it coz its been around longer n football leagues have had way better advertising n money to spend

You are a dead set moron...Australia sucks coz football is bigger than basketball? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom