The Australian cricket non-official thread!

Tonight's Big Bash game is a good example of why it's still a bit "meh" in the eyes of the traditionalist. With such a short amount of time to bat, there's generally no real chance to rebuild an innings quickly enough to chase down the first innings score. You then end up with a game that resembles baseball and is as boring and predictable as watching grass grow.

I must admit that after two and a half games I have lost complete interest! That said, while T20 cricket remains the cash cow I suggest we'll be seeing much more of it in the future.

Think the renegades have been the best team so far in the BBL that I've seen
Hoggy bowled very well tonight - looks like the move east has reinvigorated him. Hopefully he can keep up that form (except against the Scorchers off course!).
Tonight's Big Bash game is a good example of why it's still a bit "meh" in the eyes of the traditionalist. With such a short amount of time to bat, there's generally no real chance to rebuild an innings quickly enough to chase down the first innings score. You then end up with a game that resembles baseball and is as boring and predictable as watching grass grow.

I must admit that after two and a half games I have lost complete interest! That said, while T20 cricket remains the cash cow I suggest we'll be seeing much more of it in the future.
It can be predictable and somewhat repetitive - but the kids love it. My brother and sister never used to have an interest in cricket, but are quite into the Big Bash and are happy to tag along to a few games a season. In fact, since she first got into the BBL my sister has started playing in the girls competition, and she's really enjoying it! Anything that engages the kids and next generation of cricket lovers is a good thing for mine :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

While we're on the topic, what are your thoughts on a potential Big Bash game on Christmas Day next year? A good idea or unnecessary?

Merry Christmas mate.......and to all of the other wonderful people on the cricket forum!

I wondered if Cricket Australia were willing to prostitute the Big Bash any further - a game on Christmas Day would do exactly that. Bloody hell, is there an actual need for it on Christmas day?

In other news, I think I heard that William Morris Lawry will return to the Channel Nine commentary box on Boxing Day :)

I do tend to agree. It's not just the players, either - commentators, other media people, coaches, ground staff, etc would have to give up a significant portion of Christmas Day. I don't think it would work. The majority of people meet up with friends or family on Christmas Day anyway - it's one day where a Big Bash game isn't needed.

As much as I would love to have a game of BBL to watch on the tele on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, I don't think it would necessarily be in the players best interests. The players already spend a lot of time away from home, it would be tough to swallow for them not to be able to spend Christmas with their family or children. If they had 2 teams that agreed to it and were willing to play, then by all means do it. But if all the teams say no and CA still go ahead with it think there will be some heated arguments between CA and ACA (Australian Cricketer's Association)

Back
Top Bottom