The Australian cricket non-official thread!

Bravo to Nic Maddinson - the kid was on a hiding to nothing personally, but played the team game from the first ball of his (albeit very brief) innings. Very Adam Gilchrist-like in his approach. I'd like to see him retained for the Boxing Day Test, I think to hang a bloke after three innings would be an indictment on the selectors, who knew what they were getting when they picked him in the first place.

As often happens, all it takes is a visit from Pakistan to give Australian cricket an injection of confidence. Smiles are back on dials - particularly the captain, who needs the soft kill that will surely follow in this series. It must be a confident, happy and in-form Australia that visits India early next year, or there will be a heavy defeat against them in the Test series.

Would be harsh to lose it from here but we have been quite sloppy generally in the field

Does anyone get the impression that Clarke isn't a fan of smiths captaincy??

I'm not a fan of it either to be honest

Australia were a bit ordinary in the field yesterday generally, although a fourth-day 'Gabba pitch can make the bowling team look that way. Pakistan have done remarkably well to get this close, I can't see them getting to within 50-60 runs of the required total though.

As far as the series itself is concerned, the Pakistan fightback has been crucial. We so often see a crushing defeat to open a series and it generally paves the way for a lopsided or comfortable score line.

I am glad that Australia have had to toil in the second innings, we sometimes forget that the win against South Africa in Adelaide DID follow five successive Test Match defeats. A tense, close-run win in Brisbane won't hurt this young team at all.

Great to see a test go into a fifth day. Pretty overcast in Brisbane this morning but I get the feeling it will lift by 1pm.

I was hoping the boys would wrap it up last night so I didn't have to work there today but not to be.

The Paki's will come out swinging, I think we will win by 80 runs.

Great to see a test go into a fifth day. Pretty overcast in Brisbane this morning but I get the feeling it will lift by 1pm.

I was hoping the boys would wrap it up last night so I didn't have to work there today but not to be.

The Paki's will come out swinging, I think we will win by 80 runs.
Hope your right mate

Hope Starc gets his yorkers happening first thing and not try's to bounce them out

Never in doubt.....what's wrong with you Nervous Nellies?! :)

What a tremendous advertisement for the longest form of the game. You can't get that kind of tension and drama in the other formats. Long live Test cricket!!

I agree with you Chris re: Steve Smith - although he seems to share the Cameron White "I'm a batsman, not a bowler" mentality unfortunately. I'll say this about the skipper though - he has adopted the Ricky Ponting ability to skin a cat one way or another with his brilliant fielding!

I will second @Matty76 sentiments, what an epic game of cricket and a reason why Tests will always be #1 format IMO.

Surely Wade is done and dusted as a test keeper though, bring back Neville and leave Handscombe as #5 bat

Far be it from me too be critical of the Aussie Captain but I thought the ultra defensive field to start the day with your two spearheads was a poor approach. There was always going to be a result today and I thought attack from the get go was the option but instead they allowed an easy rotation of strike.

Great test. I had to go out when they needed 50. It was an errand but it would take my mind off the stress. Bang bang. Still...the son and I were stoked it was over. Could breathe easy again.

Smith was ultra conservative early on. Poor really. That said, Pakistan didn't want to go for the runs either, so each sides bad negated the other.

Right result IMHO since we declared. Smith will be criticised for it getting so close, but they could have batted on and got 550-600 lead easy and had two days still. Malcolm Knox and many in the media, as well as fans online, had a bit of a knock at him for not enforcing the follow on, but I think he did the right thing. I was never worried on abilities, I just thought the long long session last night and the staleness this morning contributed to Pakistan getting a bit of an upper hand on tired bowling.

Tests for me every day of the week. Why we don't play 6-8 each summer between Nov and early Feb is beyond me.

Personally, I don't particularly rate Steve Smith's bowling. But, he spins it the other way, so I can see the benefits of him bowling a few overs here and there.

In other news, very pleased for Hilton Cartwright. A left-field pick for the Test squad, but I think he'll surprise a few when he gets his chance.

Back
Top Bottom