Streetball Legends - Part II

GarnettFan4Life

Administrator
Real Name
Matt
COMC User
GarnettFan4Life
These days Streetball and the baller lifestyle has a real cult following. You have other outdoor courts all around America (and the world), other team and 1-on-1 tournaments, the AND1 Tour, Slamball, Clothing and Shoe Company's cashing in on famous players and venues and some decent movies and documentaries have been made. If you tried to set this history out as a family tree style diagram though, you would have many branches, and when you followed them back to the origin, it seems it would be Rucker Park and the Rucker Tournament.
Many of the pros supported the tournament after Holcombe Rucker started the Pro Division in 1950, and by the 1960's it was a must stop tournament for college and pro's looking to test themselves. Many ABA/NBA players came back and played after they had gained fame, possibly with the same goal though. What follows is a mix of some players who made it to the NBA, and some who stayed on the streets.

Malik Sealy was interesting for me to research. Being a KG fan and knowing the bond he had with Malik, still paying his respects (on his bball shoes) each game, I still learnt a few things about him I didn't know.

Malik was a 6'8" guard out of the Bronx, New York, and was named after Malik Shabazz (Malcom X) for whom his father had been a bodyguard.
Sealy honed his skills playing ball around the courts in New York before attending St. Johns University. It was here that he caught the attention of an 8th grader, Kevin Garnett, who was playing for Mauldin High School in South Carolina, and chose to wear #21, the same number as Sealy.

In the 1992 NBA Draft, Malik was drafted 14th by the Indiana Pacers. He would play 2 seasons there before having 3 seasons with the LA Clippers (starting in 79 of his 80 games in 1996-97), followed by 31 games with the Detroit Pistons, before fate would have him land in Minnesota for the 1998-99 season.
In 99-00 he was one of only 2 players in the NBA to play all 82 games.
Clearly an asset to the team off the court, for his humour, his motivation, unselfishness, inner strength, he also was a gifted player, averaging 10.1 points per game in 23.8 minutes of playing time over his 8 seasons in the NBA.

He provided 2 game winning shots in 1999-00, a reverse put-back shot against Orlando, and a 3pt bank-shot against Indiana as time expired in January, 2000. I still remember seeing that game against the Pacers. The jubilation on Malik's face, the pure joy from KG for the fact that his good friend had that great moment and they could share in it. I'll never forget it.

Sealy's life seemingly could get no better. He'd had a role in the 1996 movie Eddie, starring Whoopi Goldberg, appeared on TV shows "The Sentinel" and "Diagnosis: Murder", had his own company "Malik Sealy XXI, Inc." which distributed ties and clothing he designed, he had won 2 games for the Timberwolves, and, in the early hours of the 20th May, 2000, he had just left celebratory birthday drinks held for his best friend Kevin Garnett. After leaving the venue in downtown Minnesota, Sealy's SUV was struck by a pickup truck travelling the wrong way down the highway. Sealy was killed, the 43 year-old driver of the other vehicle survived.
Souksangouane Phengsene recovered from his chest and head injuries, was charged with drink-driving, was sentenced to 4 years prison, and was released in 2003. Phengsene was charged with a drink driving offense in 1997. Was charged with drunken driving in 2006, and again in 2008 whereupon he received an 8 year prison sentence.

Unbelievable. How fate took a promising star and left that parasite on Earth.

Malik's #2 jersey was retired by the Minnesota Timberwolves organisation, and Garnett pays tribute to his lost friend by inscribing his shoes before games. "2MALIK". What might have been.

Another player I found interesting to read about was Rafer "Skip 2 My Lou" Alston.

Alston, from Queens, New York, is widely regarded as one of the best streetball players of all time. In 1996 Stephon Marbury became the first spokesperson for AND1, but it wasn't until 1998 when the Benjamin Cardozo High School Basketball coach sent a video tape featuring streetball skills showcased by his star player, Rafer Alston, that the company really took off. AND1 had originally tried to use NBA players in it's marketing, Rex Chapman, Raef LaFrentz and Darrell Armstrong to name a few. This proved unsuccessful and a marketing strategy was devised using the Alston tape. This became the first "Mix Tape". AND1 distributed around 200,000 copies of the "Skip tape" in the first 3 weeks (gave them out with purchases of their products.), printed ~500,000 copies. Alston soon after signed AND1's first endorsement deal.

Alston was drafted out of Fresno State College by Milwaukee with the 39th pick in the 1998 NBA Draft. He had the skills, he had the reputation, he had the eagerness to play. He did not get the court time. After 3 frustrating seasons riding the bench, Rafer was traded to the Toronto Raptors. Here he increased his PPG, but after a stormy relationship with management, was traded to the Miami Heat where he finally found a starting role, and hit the 10ppg/5apg mark. After another short stint with Toronto in 2004-05, Rafer lands in Houston, this is where I am most familiar seeing him play. In 06-07 he started 82 out of 82 games, averaged 13.3 points and 5.4 assists.

After decent numbers in 2007-08 and through half of 2008-09, Alston hit a speedbump. In the form of a fight also involving Matt Barnes and Steve Nash. He served a 2 game suspension but was soon after traded to Orlando, and after only 29 games, sent to New Jersey. In January, 2010 Rafer signed with the Miami Heat again, but was suspended for the remainder of the season for missing a game and a team practice. If he retires now, he may be able to ride the AND1 train for a bit longer, who knows though. Rafer has also had troubles with public intoxication and DWI in 2008. It seems he'll do whatever the f**k he likes and not worry about consequences. A common story from another street baller.

I was originally not going to add Richard (Rick) "Pee Wee" Kirkland but after reading his life story, I felt it was too important to leave out. His D.O.B. is listed as 1947(?) on hoopedia.com and he is another player from New York.

Turning to various illegal activities (from the age of 13 by his account) he was reportedly successful enough to earn the name "Bank of Harlem" while working the streets, primarily drug dealing and gambling. Kirkland played basketball at Charles Evans Hughes High School
and earned an athletic scholarship to a junior college in North Carolina where he dominated, averaging 41ppg. He then played college ball for Norfolk State University, having 2 great seasons with Bob Dandridge, who would later play in the NBA.

In 1969, 6'1" Pee Wee was drafted by the Chicago Bulls in the 13th Round (approx 162nd pick by today's standards)(Lew Alcindor was the only memorable player in this draft at #1) and even though reputedly offered a $40,000 contract, he turned it down, quoted as stating "he could earn that in a couple of days on the street".

Returning to Rucker Park, Kirkland owned the place in 1970-71, battling with his nemesis Nate "Tiny" Archibald, whom Nate called "his toughest opponent ever" and teaming with other playground stars like Joe Hammond, they took it straight to pro's like Nate and Julius Erving who came to play.

In 1971 though, he was convicted on drug related conspiracy charges, tax evasion charges and sent to a maximum security prison in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania for a 10 year term. Although a prison team with much inferior opponents, Pee Wee is on the record as having scored 135 points in a game against a Lithuanian team touring the USA, an incredible feat however you look at it.

After being released from prison, Kirkland even played as point guard for some of the Los Angeles Laker Showtime team games alongside Magic, Kareem and Worthy. He worked as a luxury car salesman in Beverly Hills in the late 80's while figuring out what to do with his life.

Getting out of jail may have been the light bulb moment. A free man once more, he set about travelling the country to try to educate the youth about decision making, motivation, life and death choices, and called it the School of Skillz Basketball Camp. He taught classes on Philosophy of Basketball Coaching at Long Island University and gave motivational speeches. He takes it to the kids using music if he thinks it will help also. (He started his own record label So Gangsta Music (SOG)). He combines points learnt from his gang past with rap music to try to get the point across to youth who may have a hard time listening, much like he did back in the day. "I was caught the way young people are caught today in the matrix. With me it was all about the hood. 'F**k the Chicago Bulls!' I was about playing at Ruckers. It was all about street basketball. It was all about what I thought, keeping it real with the hood." From the top, down to the very bottom and back again.

Another interesting read and as for the early demise of Malik Sealey..as the saying goes

Only the good die young.

Back
Top Bottom