Slab it to me mailday!

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
Catching up on some really old and overdue maildays.....and grouped up this lot of random slabs.

Rui Hachimura - PSA7
2019-20 Panini Chronicles XR - Pink - RC

No idea why I picked this up, especially as a PSA 7. I can only chalk this up to a severe case of cabin fever during COVID lockdowns.... Pretty nice looking cards to be fair though, Chronicles gets a bad reputation in the hobby a bit unfairly I think.

20230910_125616.jpg

Lebron James - CSG 7.5
2007-08 Topps 1957-58 Variations

Old school cool vibes with this card, presents well based on centering and corners and coudln't see much wrong with edges and surface even when in hand. Possibly one to crack and resub...

20230910_130107.jpg

Keldon Johnson - CSG9
2019-20 Panini NBA Hoops Premium Stock RC

Another product which I think suffers a bit unfairly is Hoops Premium Stock , low tier for sure, but I think it has plenty of eye appeal.

20230910_125937.jpg

Keldon Johnson - CSG 9
2019-20 Panini Prizm RC

Prizm design really pops with the Spurs team colours. Surprisingly not much hobby love for this guy, might be a good stats, bad team phenomenon, let's see what happens when there's more of a spotlight when Wemby is in town....

20230910_130030.jpg

Allen Iverson - CSG 7.5
1996-97 Skybox Premium RC

Another card which presents beautifully and is only dragged down by a bad surface score (nothing visible to the naked eye), another possible crack, microfibre wipe and resubmission candidate....or more likely just stash it away in one of the side PCs.

20230910_125849.jpg

Allen Iverson - BGS 8.5
1996-97 SP RC

So nice I got it twice.......Both look pretty clean, but the tone / shading on one is notabely darker than the other so I assume the surface grade might be down for one of them.

20230910_125357.jpg

20230910_125805.jpg

Allen Iverson - CSG 8.5
1996-97 Skybox Premium RC

Love me some Skybox Premium, great product anda pretty solid looking RC of the Answer.

20230910_125711.jpg

Allen Iverson - BGS9
1996-97 Flair Showcase Row 2 RC

Say what you want about the rest of the cards, Flair Showcase is just better, point blank. Well, there might be soem competition for it at the end. Really liked these BGS slabs btw.

20230910_125539.jpg

Ray Allen - SGC9.5
1996-97 Topps Finest Bronze RC

This is a pretty dark looking card overall and the SGC 'tuxedo' doesn't really do much to bring out the features of the card, definitely would prefer this in a different slab.

20230910_130313.jpg

Bam Adebayo - PSA 10
2017-18 Panini Donruss Optic Rated Rookie RC

The only 10 in this lot, but I'm not one for paying a 10 premium , so I can only summise I must have picked this up at a pretty steep discount. Not even that much of a 'Bam fan' to be honest... Optic is however probably my favourite modern mainstream set, always pretty good designs and inserts.

20230910_130406.jpg

Jason Williams - PSA 9
1998-99 Skybox E-X Century RC

Bit of yellowing but now that this is going into the skip20 vault, sunlight wo;t be an issue any longer... lol I think I prefer E-X to Falri Showcase actually, who you got?

20230910_130457.jpg

Dirk Nowitzki - SGC8.5
1998-99 Skybox E-X Century RC

The SGC tux doesn't actually look too bad with the acetate cards. Surface colour in very good condition, compared to the White Chocolcate E-X, the DIrk looks to be in much better condition, make of that what you will.

20230910_130158.jpg

Well that's it for another skip20 mailday, thanks for stopping by and having a look, read and dropping a like or comment (or both) - it's the fuel which keeps maildays coming! If this post cracks 10,000 likes I'll post my next mailday. lol

Like one down, 9999 to go. Should be there by tomorrow I'm sure!

Always like the Topps '57-58 variations and who can say no to an Iverson RC or four.

(Johnson is definitely a good surface stats bad team guy — .512 eFG% on 28% usage, eek! I'd like to be wrong as Panini sent me a rookie year auto of him as a replacement card but don't be surprised if he is 6th man as soon as this year for the Spurs.)

Thanks for sharing. I really like the Flair Showcase. Was that a premium product at the time?

Are the lower row’s attainable or very expensive?

Like one down, 9999 to go. Should be there by tomorrow I'm sure!

Always like the Topps '57-58 variations and who can say no to an Iverson RC or four.

(Johnson is definitely a good surface stats bad team guy — .512 eFG% on 28% usage, eek! I'd like to be wrong as Panini sent me a rookie year auto of him as a replacement card but don't be surprised if he is 6th man as soon as this year for the Spurs.)

Only 9998 to go now, like rate just doubled!

Yes, not overly enthused about Keldon, he's playing as well and gettign the green light as much as he ever will, but I don't think Wemby averages 20, maybe Vassell has a bit more upside left in him. Definitely looking to move this graded pair on sooner rather than later.

Thanks for sharing. I really like the Flair Showcase. Was that a premium product at the time?

Are the lower row’s attainable or very expensive?

Flair Showcase was a top shelf product back in the day, the Legacy edition cards were what everybody wanted (and still do basically!). Basically you had rows 0 through to row 3 with row 0 generally being the lowest printed and most desirable. Even row zero cards are generally quite affordable, the only time it gets rather expensive are for the huge hobby names and whenever there's a legacy stamp on it (can be row 3 to row 0).

Some very nice numbers!
First time I have seen CSG slabs, these guys new to the game?

CSG basically became pretty big in the hobby around the same tiime as the hobby became big itself, but I beleive they had heir history in grading other items like comic boosk and banknotes / coins etc (thsu the scales in their logo). Their claim to fame was the use of technology in grading cards and trying to take the subjective human element out of it to some degree. CSG is now under the CGC banner and they have partenr programs with the big boys like ebay certification and comc grading. Not sure if they're bigger than SGC but I reckon they might be now, they seem to grade pretty strictly and their old liem green CSG slab labels looked atrocious.

The Lebron would look nice in a PSA case with the red on red imo

I like the Ray Allen in the SGC I must say!

I’m a sucker for a flair showcase card - such a premium feel to them

The Lebron would look nice in a PSA case with the red on red imo

I like the Ray Allen in the SGC I must say!

I’m a sucker for a flair showcase card - such a premium feel to them
I'm not a big fan of PSA slabs, but agree any card with a bit of red to it would be a nice complimentary PSA slabbing. Bit like team colour matching to slab.....wait, didn;t you say you're not a fan of HGA? :-P That's the only good idea they've ever had...

I think dark cards like UD Black or Obsidian woudl look pretty sick in the SGC tux but there;s just soemthign about that bronze / brown that doesn't sit right imo...

Flair Showcase, that's actually one card I might have ponied up for. So I take it for you Falir Showcase > E-x?

Speaking of Lebron and red/red, I picked up this a few weeks ago - this whole set is so condition sensitive- especially the Blue and I believe there’s a Black but I really like them

View attachment 505117
Dang, that does look good with the psa label. Centering and edges look to be pretty good on that one too. For me it's all about the eye appeal. Now wonderign how good those E-x woudl look in an all clear TAG slab?!

I'm not a big fan of PSA slabs, but agree any card with a bit of red to it would be a nice complimentary PSA slabbing. Bit like team colour matching to slab.....wait, didn;t you say you're not a fan of HGA? :-P That's the only good idea they've ever had...

I think dark cards like UD Black or Obsidian woudl look pretty sick in the SGC tux but there;s just soemthign about that bronze / brown that doesn't sit right imo...

Flair Showcase, that's actually one card I might have ponied up for. So I take it for you Falir Showcase > E-x?

Yeah the Black or white cards in the SGC is just chefs kiss good

In general yes I would say Flair over e-x

got this incoming, will get a new pic when it arrives but how nice are these?

IMG_1083.jpeg

Only 9998 to go now, like rate just doubled!

Yes, not overly enthused about Keldon, he's playing as well and gettign the green light as much as he ever will, but I don't think Wemby averages 20, maybe Vassell has a bit more upside left in him. Definitely looking to move this graded pair on sooner rather than later.

I do wonder if we see Wemby go like 12 and 7 in 25 minutes this year and gets like 2.5 blk mainly because everyone just wants to throw one down on him like with Shawn Bradley.

Then watch everyone freak out that he is a bust!

Popovich is hardly likely to rush him so I wonder is his rookie season then career arc is a bit like Yao for example.

I think he will be a very good player and his rookie numbers may not be as low as above but I doubt they are the 24/15 and 4.5 blk like I hear some touting.

got this incoming, will get a new pic when it arrives but how nice are these?

IMG_1083.jpeg

Nice photography work on that one, always a classy and calssical looking product - does everything right.

I do wonder if we see Wemby go like 12 and 7 in 25 minutes this year and gets like 2.5 blk mainly because everyone just wants to throw one down on him like with Shawn Bradley.

Then watch everyone freak out that he is a bust!

Popovich is hardly likely to rush him so I wonder is his rookie season then career arc is a bit like Yao for example.

I think he will be a very good player and his rookie numbers may not be as low as above but I doubt they are the 24/15 and 4.5 blk like I hear some touting.

Yes, I tend to agree, soemthing around 14 and 8 and probably a decent injury thrown in there at some stage too. You heard it here first, soem foot or ankle type injury as he gets broken down on the perimeter trying to hedge or switch on a R&R. Has all the tools, just needs to learn how to use them against top tier opposition.

im looking at all these slabs and im itching all over!! great cards in there though!! the ray allen pose has always made me laugh.

Get some aloe vera on deck for the itchiness mate, I should have had a trigger warning for you in the title! lol

Yeah, probably not your kind of mailday - if it's any consolation, slabs only make up a very minor part of my personal collection(s), maybe 5% or less? I'm more the type to buy a card with a slight ding with a massive discount lol These were mostly bargain pickups from way back when, so if I'm moving them on eventually as trade pieces it makes sense to at least keep anything semi-decent slabbed if folks are paying a premium for it.

Speaking of Lebron and red/red, I picked up this a few weeks ago - this whole set is so condition sensitive- especially the Blue and I believe there’s a Black but I really like them

IMG_2708.jpeg
I bought 2 boxes of this 12-13 years ago. Love this set. Got lots of singles in a box somewhere. The blue is numbered to the year of release and the black are numbered to 48. Didn’t get a curry rookie but got Blake and demar, harden and other rookies. Got a nice bill Russell auto which I sold in 2021…

IMG_0942.jpeg

I haven't picked up basically any new singles this year, but those 90s Rookies are getting me excited, the Dirk especially.

Back
Top Bottom