Sad story about an old Celt great in todays news

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
At 74 years old he was luck to survive it seems. I hope the team rallies around him and the former players association helps out also. When Kareems house burnt down in the 80s me and my bro were some of the thousands that sent him jazz records to help replace the mamoth collection he lost. I wish Frank nothing but the best and don't know what else to say. :-(

Here is the article.

MADISONVILLE, Ky. -- A lifetime of basketball memories. Gone.

Hall of Fame member Frank Ramsey, a former All-American at Kentucky who went on to play with the Boston Celtics in the 1950s and 1960s, was among those whose homes were destroyed by tornadoes that swept through western Kentucky on Tuesday.

"Had I been sitting watching TV, I would have been gone," Ramsey told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "I don't know if I would have been dead or not, but I certainly would have been swept off."

The 74-year-old Ramsey, whose son called and told him a tornado was heading toward his home Tuesday night, hid in a closet next to a brick fireplace just as the storms approached and electricity was lost.

When the winds died down, the fireplace and closet were all that remained, he said.

Ramsey, who is staying with family members, said his trophies are missing and walls of photos have disappeared. Only one plaque remained from his basketball glory days.

As a freshman at Kentucky, Ramsey played on the 1951 national championship team under Adolph Rupp and also starred on the Wildcats' undefeated 1954 squad that declined a NCAA tournament berth. He is one of only two players in Kentucky's storied basketball history to have received AP All-America honors three times.

He played nine seasons for the Celtics, helping them win seven NBA championships and popularizing the sixth-man role. He later spent one season as the coach of the American Basketball Association's Kentucky Colonels.

Both Kentucky and the Celtics have retired Ramsey's jersey. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1982.

Shows how lucky we really are in this world.

It's always devestating news when Nature is at it's worst, and lives are taken not only by death, but by tearing our hearts open at the loss of something we work so hard to build, our homes.

Back
Top Bottom