Retains value? Perhaps increase?

potatocouch

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Maria Selena
From your experience these past years or decades, which type of card would usually retain its value, or perhaps even increased over time?

From few threads here, it seems that Exquisite is one of them?

How about PMG (Precious Metal Gems)?

What other cards would you say?

FYI I tried to sell imac and flawless stuff that I thought I got for a bargain over 12mths ago, and got half of it in return, so I agree that if youre after investment stuff, go for old school inserts or high end Lebron rc's are safe too. Nothing Panini related

Since you guys are pro and experienced collectors, don't we have a thread in the forum, where someone post up a card and (experienced/pro) people comments on the approximate value of the card?

I assume there isn't one, because the value/price can be so subjective from one person to another?

It depends on the focus of your collection when it comes to Panini imo. I managed to nearly double my investment on my Spurs Immaculate collection which I moved on recently. I have been acquiring a few Exquisite but they are hard to come by with numerous hoarders and you need super deep pockets. Other releases that go well include Artifacts, Chronology, Black and Ultimate all produced by Upper Deck while they still had the NBA license. Their college releases are utter garbage and nowhere near as valuable now or into the future.

Exquisite is definitely expensive.

Personally my approach is get something reasonably priced and hope for some increase or spike.

I'll have a look at the other releases you mentioned.

Do you consider Beckett graded when you make your purchase or are you guys happy with ungraded?

Like this guy here

2006-07 topps #241b LAMARCUS ALDRIDGE portland trail blazers rookie BGS BCCG 10

For AUD 21, i can get BGS 10.

Is this a bargain or normally priced?

Personally my approach is get something reasonably priced and hope for some increase or spike.

Do you consider Beckett graded when you make your purchase or are you guys happy with ungraded?

Here lies your problem.

Why not just collect because you like a team/player/set/design???

If you're trying to invest you'll have to be patient and extremely wise.

The beauty of this game is that usually the cards we collect, retain SOME value, but if you're in it just to try and make money then you could find yourself in a hole real fast.

It's hard to predict when a set/player will spike. But usually once a player retires and then gets in the HOF sees a spike. Another time is Playoff time or a nice run of games.

Spot on drob. If you want a speculative investment, buy some cheap pharma stocks...not cardboard. Just go for a player or set you can afford and have some fun.

And dont bust boxes. Took me way too long to realise that was crap way to go about it!

Here lies your problem.

Why not just collect because you like a team/player/set/design???

If you're trying to invest you'll have to be patient and extremely wise.

The beauty of this game is that usually the cards we collect, retain SOME value, but if you're in it just to try and make money then you could find yourself in a hole real fast.

It's hard to predict when a set/player will spike. But usually once a player retires and then gets in the HOF sees a spike. Another time is Playoff time or a nice run of games.

Totally agree with this, a lot of it is out of your control. Take Kawhi Leonard for example I started PCing him 2 months before he won the Finals MVP and was able to flip $8 cards for $50 but that is an exception. Awards, rings and HOF dictate prices as do crazy hot games like when Michael Carter-Williams dominated on debut, Klay Thompson exploded in that crazy quarter and of course there was Linsanity! If you want to invest buy shares not cards.

Totally agree with this, a lot of it is out of your control. Take Kawhi Leonard for example I started PCing him 2 months before he won the Finals MVP and was able to flip $8 cards for $50 but that is an exception. Awards, rings and HOF dictate prices as do crazy hot games like when Michael Carter-Williams dominated on debut, Klay Thompson exploded in that crazy quarter and of course there was Linsanity! If you want to invest buy shares not cards.
i have over 50 tim hardaway jr autos all worth about 50% less then i paid lol

In case of rookies its best to wait until later in their rookie season or their second year because the hype at the start of the season is nuts and when all that is going is sticker autos you are throwing money in the bin. Learnt that the hard way with Kyle Anderson, his prices dropped from $30 to $2 before Christmas!

It's hard to predict, I fully understand and agree with you.

Let's play some guessing game though ... just for fun ..

Who do you think these sort of players (But usually once a player retires and then gets in the HOF sees a spike) be?

Tim Duncan for one, perhaps?

2nd question: if you are to collect your favourite player, would you go for graded (PSA/BGS) or ungraded?

The smart thing would be to invest money in something not as volatile as sports cards.

The cards you need to buy to make money off, are usually priced way out of reach for most collectors and the time you need to wait to make the money is variable.
With sports cards, more often than not you are going to lose money.

Make money investing in bricks and mortar or solid productive shares.

Sports card trading is a hobby and should be fun! Don't beat yourself up trying to make a dollar out of everything and you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom