Players who missed their chance...

ghosty

NRL Supporter
Real Name
dean
eBay User
dzt_07
I often talk to people about Brian Jellick & most people are like who the F is that.

Well BJ is a kiwi who couldn't get a run with the Warriors and after years of trying he sent a video to Cowboys who signed him almost immediately. Unfortunately he didnt debut until 27 in '99 and for this reason only played 3 seasons retiring in 2001. This guy could have been amazing. He always played well for the cowboys, racking up many long range trys on the wing and debuted for New Zealand in his first year & ended up scoring 6 international trys from only 3 matches. Imagine if he had hit the scene at 19.....

Who do think missed their calling and what's their story?

Don't know what happened to him but David Boughton played for the Sharks in the early to mid 90's.

A tough bugger for his size and a real worker.

Used to like watching him play.

I always thought jake webster should have stayed in the nrl,
I know he is playing super league but he was good enough to stay at the top level, played a few tests for NZ
Also Shannon Walker, all the potential to be a star in league. Left to play sevens rugby but is doing well there, he is always a chance to come back

I know he probably will pop up again somewhere in the NRL but would someone like Blake Ferguson qualify here?

An unreal talent and if he even had half a brain, he could have been an amazing player in the NRL?

Must agree with both comment on Blake......

Its a big shame to loose some of these guys to other codes.

Steven Witt was another one. Older brother too Michael. He started out at Eels and had a run at Newcastle but between Michael at parra n Joey & Mullins at Newcastle he never got to show his full potential as a half.

Daniel Abraham was a big one for the Knights. Would have been selected for NSW in 2004, but broke his ankle pretty badly in the City Country game a few weeks beforehand.

Came back at the start of 2005 and six or so rounds in, just as he was returning to his form of old, broke his other ankle even worse. You could hear the crack on the tv coverage, as well as in the stands, from what I've been told.

Came back again in 2007, but unfortunately was never the same player.

Craig Gibson - South Sydney. Had a Series 2 card in 1995. 8 games, 4 tries. I think he went overseas.

Another was Peter Driscoll - had a couple of cards in 1996/97.

David Woods (not the one that played for the Gold Coast, and who tragically took his own life)

Played in the Centres for the Eels but unfortunately injuries curtailed his career.

Ended up at Penrith if memory serves. Yeah…he would play and then be injured for six months. Come back…out again. Come back…out again. During the lean years of the 1990's too.

Back
Top Bottom