Panini Photogenic - Thoughts?

$550 - $600US per box now. Not many available. Some are trying to push the price way over $600US!

Probably one of the most popular releases in recent times.

Are we getting another one this year? If not, what do you think it will do to the value of this product long term?

Not sure. $100 a box for an online only sale...don't think people will be selling for $200 like they did last year.

If something else returns, it'll be straight out the gate at $350/400 a box on the secondary market

reminds of the photography used in TSC products, and i loooooooved TSC!! hopefully they've put together a decent checklist to make me interested in going for some of them. doubt it though but fingers crossed.

reminds of the photography used in TSC products, and i loooooooved TSC!! hopefully they've put together a decent checklist to make me interested in going for some of them. doubt it though but fingers crossed.

It better stay with rookie autos. If they start throwing in Jack Sikma and Dave Bing...no thanks

Well going by the release there are non-rookie autos.

Just saw on the promo

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

Yikes

Print run through the roof.
All of it is being printed like there is no tomorrow. It's sad.

I thought I had found a relative safe haven in the hockey hobby which had better value than NBA and NFL combined for the last few years. However, the dilution is now on in a major way. Upper Deck's flagship has been steadily increasing year on year ( I'm guessing that UD 2022-23 Series 1 is 3X compared to 2019/20).

SP Authentic - which is close to my favourite hockey product - is almost unrecognisable from the previous year's release. I've watched many case breaks of 2021-22 SPA and it's truly horrendous. They will up the print run again with 2022-23 and then when Bedard goes into 2023-24 it will be just stupid at that point.

I bought two boxes of 2021-22 SPA at $360 and $300 respectively and my four autos have a combined value of less than $50. There are no other cards besides the autos that hold any significant upside. The ROI is closer to 10% than 20%.

All of it is being printed like there is no tomorrow. It's sad.

I thought I had found a relative safe haven in the hockey hobby which had better value than NBA and NFL combined for the last few years. However, the dilution is now on in a major way. Upper Deck's flagship has been steadily increasing year on year ( I'm guessing that UD 2022-23 Series 1 is 3X compared to 2019/20).

SP Authentic - which is close to my favourite hockey product - is almost unrecognisable from the previous year's release. I've watched many case breaks of 2021-22 SPA and it's truly horrendous. They will up the print run again with 2022-23 and then when Bedard goes into 2023-24 it will be just stupid at that point.

I bought two boxes of 2021-22 SPA at $360 and $300 respectively and my four autos have a combined value of less than $50. There are no other cards besides the autos that hold any significant upside. The ROI is closer to 10% than 20%.
I hate it, but its time to buy singles.

I am a breaker and a box buyer, but whats the point

And I have just concluded my breaking binge - hopefully for good. I've spent $500+ on breaks in the past 4 weeks and got very little in return - two sticker autos worth $5 and $10 max. Also, and this is what really takes the cake, I've been taking the Red Wings in a fair few breaks. I had them 3 nights ago( with other teams) and nothing. There's an ok FWA of Veleno 2 nights ago when I don't have them. I take them again last night with the Devils( $40 for both teams) and get nothing and tonight I just take the Devils and a Moritz Seider pops out( Thankfully only a retro and not FWA/999 but it's a $300 card and would've been my best hit ever if I'd taken the Red Wings again). If I'd known they were going to put 2 boxes of SPA in the break I would have. That's a problem - not always sure what products are actually going in the break.

If you just want to hunt one team or one player I'll concede that breaking might be the way to go but for all round value it is terrible. I think I've spent over $2000 in the last 12 months and my best result is a $85 auto and maybe $250 worth of cards total with the vast majority of them $0.25 cards. I hit an auto in a MLB break a few months ago that was selling for $1.5 on comc.

My breaking cue is in the rack.

I'm going to target Ohtani from now on. You can not get a safer purchase than him right now imo. Admittedly he's got a mountain of rookie cards but they are not created equally and if you get the right ones it should at least be safe. No player ever has done what he has done since April 2021.

Good luck with the singles. There's definitely some good buys out there. I guess not losing money and/or making modest gains becomes the fun part.

Needed to express my sadness.😕

Last edited:
And I have just concluded my breaking binge - hopefully for good. I've spent $500+ on breaks in the past 4 weeks and got very little in return - two sticker autos worth $5 and $10 max. Also, and this is what really takes the cake, I've been taking the Red Wings in a fair few breaks. I had them 3 nights ago( with other teams) and nothing. There's an ok FWA of Veleno 2 nights ago when I don't have them. I take them again last night with the Devils( $40 for both teams) and get nothing and tonight I just take the Devils and a Moritz Seider pops out( Thankfully only a retro and not FWA/999 but it's a $300 card and would've been my best hit ever if I'd taken the Red Wings again). If I'd known they were going to put 2 boxes of SPA in the break I would have. That's a problem - not always sure what products are actually going in the break.

If you just want to hunt one team or one player I'll concede that breaking might be the way to go but for all round value it is terrible. I think I've spent over $2000 in the last 12 months and my best result is a $85 auto and maybe $250 worth of cards total with the vast majority of them $0.25 cards. I hit an auto in a MLB break a few months ago that was selling for $1.5 on comc.

My breaking cue is in the rack.

I'm going to target Ohtani from now on. You can not get a safer purchase than him right now imo. Admittedly he's got a mountain of rookie cards but they are not created equally and if you get the right ones it should at least be safe. No player ever has done what he has done since April 2021.

Good luck with the singles. There's definitely some good buys out there. I guess not losing money and/or making modest gains becomes the fun part.

Needed to express my sadness.😕
Breaking is a mugs game and I'm a mug.

I am a low end player but 15 dollars here and 20 dollars there adds up. I've hit some nice cards but I could have just bought them!

I watch blokes buying the big teams break after break and reckon they're spending $1000+ a day on it. I feel bad when I lose $15

$15 is fine. I was spending $25-40 many nights and the bill is probably more like $700 for the last 4-5 weeks. I don't dare look because it makes me feel queasy.

As for my luck in breaks the phrase "couldn't get a kick in a stampede" comes to mind.

EDIT: I just checked: $650 in the last 4 weeks just on breaks. Best cards will be two $10-$15 autos.

That is way too much money for someone like me. It's fair to say I've gambled beyond my means - not the first time that's happened in the last 35 years.

Last edited:
One of the worst breaks I ever saw which made me feel sick was a Layton's break. It was 1X hobby box of 2018-19 Prizm in late 2021. The boxes were selling for nearly $8,000 USD. The best cards were a Doncic and Trae base and by this time prices were falling. If they managed to get all the better cards graded and immediately sold they could've gotten 2.5K back. A Doncic PSA10 was still getting $1200 back then. But even in a best case scenario 5K USD had just been flushed in a one box break.

The breaker( Rich Layton) had the gall to suggest after "that was a fun break". He got excited about a vet auto that may have been worth $200-$300.

They should write a book about the insanity of late 2020 early 2021.

Last edited:
Breaking is a mugs game and I'm a mug.

I am a low end player but 15 dollars here and 20 dollars there adds up. I've hit some nice cards but I could have just bought them!

I watch blokes buying the big teams break after break and reckon they're spending $1000+ a day on it. I feel bad when I lose $15
What a great country we live in. Nothing like admitting our shortcomings in public. Long live mugs!

$15 is fine. I was spending $25-40 many nights and the bill is probably more like $700 for the last 4-5 weeks. I don't dare look because it makes me feel queasy.

As for my luck in breaks the phrase "couldn't get a kick in a stampede" comes to mind.

EDIT: I just checked: $650 in the last 4 weeks just on breaks. Best cards will be two $10-$15 autos.

That is way too much money for someone like me. It's fair to say I've gambled beyond my means - not the first time that's happened in the last 35 years.

I won't look at what i spent in the past 2 years. High K's for sure.

Have hit a 1/1 that might end up getting a few k back, but down in the hole and I am a small time buyer. Its the $15-$75 breaks that add up.

I have a heap of nice cards though and I am reluctant to sell anything :)

Right now i try to limit it to small breaks and i dip my foot in case breaks with cheap teams just to get some cards from each product.

I've probably spent another $100 on breaks since vowing not to do it again. Taking the Devils night after night in the Slapperz breaks and didn't get to it until late today and the Devils were taken and out pops a Holtz FWA. Just insane. I'm more chasing Mercer but Holtz is a decent name. Just crazy. It's hard enough without that happening. Taking the same team for 6 night consecutively and then they pop out the the very next break. It's demoralising actually.

My next purchase will be a Mercer FWA. I could have bought three of them with my break money over the last 5 weeks.

As of this post I no longer break.

I've probably spent another $100 on breaks since vowing not to do it again. Taking the Devils night after night in the Slapperz breaks and didn't get to it until late today and the Devils were taken and out pops a Holtz FWA. Just insane. I'm more chasing Mercer but Holtz is a decent name. Just crazy. It's hard enough without that happening. Taking the same team for 6 night consecutively and then they pop out the the very next break. It's demoralising actually.

My next purchase will be a Mercer FWA. I could have bought three of them with my break money over the last 5 weeks.

As of this post I no longer break.

You know how many times I was chasing teams at Cherry and the next break I didn't buy into...got the hit?

Happened all the time.

Those daily breaks are shit. I just target a case break now as i feel its an even playing field, especially with how Cherry do their breaks. Between product breaks and daily breaks, the hits are too hard to follow so best to target the cases or just buy the card yourself

Back
Top Bottom