Optimum 2022

I presume they'll be a parallel matrix card or some bonus case hit card not mentioned on the checklist as equivalent to Gold headlines last year

I have never seen any boxes of footy cards other than Teamcoach and Footy Stars in brick and mortar stores.
Online stores, most definitely, but never in person. Has that changed?
2017 was the last time I can remember being able to walk into a regular newsagent and grab some packs of certified. Picked up a nice NicNat Patch/Sig from a handful of packs once, and a premiership redemption on another visit.

Gone are those days.

2017 was the last time I can remember being able to walk into a regular newsagent and grab some packs of certified. Picked up a nice NicNat Patch/Sig from a handful of packs once, and a premiership redemption on another visit.

Gone are those days.

Yeah I guess newsagencies and servos will only ever get the 'mainstream' products now.
I'm ok with that because products like Supremacy, Dominance, etc, are marketed as high end products so I would never expect them to be in places like that.
I do think that Prestige could be worthy of being in newsagencies, but I've never seen boxes there.

This brings up the point , why is there a "Exclusive contract" anyway I mean if you think after you pay a licensing fee etc you can make a buck from making footy cards knock your self out. Competition is good for everyone makes for a better product

This brings up the point , why is there a "Exclusive contract" anyway I mean if you think after you pay a licensing fee etc you can make a buck from making footy cards knock your self out. Competition is good for everyone makes for a better product

I don't think there is anyone stopping a new company from fronting the money to do what Select do, other than the fact that they have contracts with players to sign with Select only. Teamcoach is a good example of that.

Having said that, the licensing fee must be enormous or unreasonable that nobody else has given it a shot.

I don't think there is anyone stopping a new company from fronting the money to do what Select do, other than the fact that they have contracts with players to sign with Select only. Teamcoach is a good example of that.

Having said that, the licensing fee must be enormous or unreasonable that nobody else has given it a shot.
AFL also seem quite reluctant to change in partnerships unless it's necessary, ie the recent broadcast rights.

I think Select have been doing a pretty good job.

AFL also seem quite reluctant to change in partnerships unless it's necessary, ie the recent broadcast rights.

I think Select have been doing a pretty good job.

There's nobody else to go with, so they have no options other than Select really.
Personally, nothing Select have been doing lately have "wowed" me. The only cards I really like are Supremacy and I'm priced out of that in terms of chasing singles, which leaves me in the same position as many others not wanting to go hard on collecting AFL cards anymore.

There's nobody else to go with, so they have no options other than Select really.
Personally, nothing Select have been doing lately have "wowed" me. The only cards I really like are Supremacy and I'm priced out of that in terms of chasing singles, which leaves me in the same position as many others not wanting to go hard on collecting AFL cards anymore.
Don’t be so sure fanatics was interested last I heard

Don’t be so sure fanatics was interested last I heard

Source?
Even still, they could buy them and just not actually produce the cards and leave that to Select.
As fast as I am aware, that's what they will be doing with Topps. Topps run as normal with Fanatics on the back end.

Source?
Even still, they could buy them and just not actually produce the cards and leave that to Select.
As fast as I am aware, that's what they will be doing with Topps. Topps run as normal with Fanatics on the back end.

I had heard similar.

A couple of interesting items heard around the traps recently.

1) Card samples from another manufacturer have been printed to be presented to the AFL in relation to obtaining the licence.

2) An AFL HOF player was asked by their manager (have seen the message myself) to appear on an unsigned card limited to 50 by a joint venture of 2 companies, one of those being Select and the other is not a current AFL card manufacturer.

Interesting times ahead.

I had heard similar.

A couple of interesting items heard around the traps recently.

1) Card samples from another manufacturer have been printed to be presented to the AFL in relation to obtaining the licence.

2) An AFL HOF player was asked by their manager (have seen the message myself) to appear on an unsigned card limited to 50 by a joint venture of 2 companies, one of those being Select and the other is not a current AFL card manufacturer.

Interesting times ahead.

I am all for new cards, new designs and brand new products. Things seem a bit stale to me lately.

But back to what I was saying before, I still don't think there is anyone in this country that can touch Select and take over. Do I think it should happen? Yes.

I am all for new cards, new designs and brand new products. Things seem a bit stale to me lately.

But back to what I was saying before, I still don't think there is anyone in this country that can touch Select and take over. Do I think it should happen? Yes.
If it’s purely money for the AFL License then fanatics would blow select out of the water, depends what the AFL Want more money or to stay loyal to select

If it’s purely money for the AFL License then fanatics would blow select out of the water, depends what the AFL Want more money or to stay loyal to select

If I'm looking at logically, I see it this way.

AFL card collectors couldn't care less who puts out the cards and they are more than happy with Select's choices to keep designs relatively the same every year and not reinvent the wheel. That means Select really don't NEED to reinvent the wheel and can continue doing what they are doing because they know people are going to buy regardless. It's a great position to be in business wise when your community isn't demanding more and just laps up everything you put out. It's crazy watching AFL card collectors losing it over a release (not any in particular) which looks exactly the same as the year before. That blows my mind but it happens every year.

So in turn, the AFL won't care who puts the cards out, as long as the money keeps rolling in.

Back
Top Bottom