Old worn out or broken PC hard drive wanted.

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
Hey guys, does anyone have an old hard drive that has given up the ghost or not needed anymore that they don't care if its pulled apart for parts?

I'll happily take it off your hands if you do. I'm after the strong magnets that are on the swing arm inside it. It usually has two of them and the older hard drives apparently have stronger magnets than the new versions.

Need them for a project of mine :thumbsup:

:-k I wonder if I'll have any luck. :D

nah a pc one. I'm guessing the magnets in a notebook hard drive are smaller and not as strong. Thats the part I'm after in it.

I regularly pull them apart at work, just cos I'm bored when scrapping a PC.

Got a few on "display" on my wall at work, lol.

Even got an old notebook screen & keyboard + HDD on the wall... I was going to leave it together (but on the wall in separate parts) so it would still work. lol.

What's this project mate? Sick of the pegs breaking and the bubblegum cards coming out of your spokes and need something stronger to hold them in place???

I'm making a magnetic stir plate for my cultivating of my yeast starters

Magnet from hard drive gets glued onto center hub of the fan that is set in a jiffy box right near the top and powered by a 5v mobile phone charger. My flask sits on the top with my yeast and wort in it and I drop a magnetic bar into it. When the fan runs the bar spins with it and I get a whirlpool action in the liquid.

Easy and makes me feel like a real scientist

I regularly pull them apart at work, just cos I'm bored when scrapping a PC.

Got a few on "display" on my wall at work, lol.

Even got an old notebook screen & keyboard + HDD on the wall... I was going to leave it together (but on the wall in separate parts) so it would still work. lol.

What's this project mate? Sick of the pegs breaking and the bubblegum cards coming out of your spokes and need something stronger to hold them in place???

where do you work?

Chad, you could have my old HD.......though you have to promise not to look at any of the pictures stored on it......

Cheers
Matt

Back
Top Bottom