NRL 2018 Elite Discussion Thread

I have no issues with dealers cases having a higher end card or 2 as there needs to be incentives to support them.

In saying that, the product should be marketed and sold as hobby and retail with the latter being $6 per packet but no chance of hits greater than one per case
Why does there need to be incentives to support dealers ?They are just running a business like a newsagent with less overheads .How has it been fair to the average punter that doesn’t know about this site or others and just wants to collect , not knowing they are paying the same for a inferior product (less hits ). Unless they charge less and state on the packet you have less chance of a big hit it surprises me they can get away with it

It really does vary who and where the hits go to. I busted about 36 loose packs last year for 4 hits including 1 ruby mojo but the year before I only managed 1 hit from 22. Year before that I got 4 packs all complete duds and gave up.

My first 20 + cases of Traders I opened I didn`t get a Legend Sig ..Others who bought cases from me did though ......The first 3 cases I opened this year I was lucky enough to get 2 Legend Sigs ...

It is all about the luck of the draw .....Some people have the luck and others don`t ....

Why does there need to be incentives to support dealers ?They are just running a business like a newsagent with less overheads .How has it been fair to the average punter that doesn’t know about this site or others and just wants to collect , not knowing they are paying the same for a inferior product (less hits ). Unless they charge less and state on the packet you have less chance of a big hit it surprises me they can get away with it

Because the dealers are the lifeblood of the hobby. Prior to ESP it was really quite difficult to find a newsagent who stocked series 2 Select. Further to this, the dealers offer cheaper boxes from sealed cases.

Yes a newsagent is also a business and retailer but not reliant on moving their stock as they have countless other products for sale and get a credit back on unsold stock.

Hence my comment, stock should be hobby and retail with the latter being cheaper and with the knowledge you won’t get the huge hits.

It is like anything you purchase in life, do some research on the product and make a sound decision about how you purchase it.

Is it fair to the average punter when other collectors buy packets until they get the hit effectively leaving a dud and searched product?

Is it good for the hobby that plenty of new collectors just buy for that hit and dump it on the market dirt cheap?

Because the dealers are the lifeblood of the hobby. Prior to ESP it was really quite difficult to find a newsagent who stocked series 2 Select. Further to this, the dealers offer cheaper boxes from sealed cases.

Yes a newsagent is also a business and retailer but not reliant on moving their stock as they have countless other products for sale and get a credit back on unsold stock.

Hence my comment, stock should be hobby and retail with the latter being cheaper and with the knowledge you won’t get the huge hits.

It is like anything you purchase in life, do some research on the product and make a sound decision about how you purchase it.

Is it fair to the average punter when other collectors buy packets until they get the hit effectively leaving a dud and searched product?

Is it good for the hobby that plenty of new collectors just buy for that hit and dump it on the market dirt cheap?
That’s the problem though , it doesn’t state on the newsagents boxes they contain less hits and they are the same price . Imagine buying milk for example from coles and the same branded product from Woolworths contained 30% water ?There would be a “investigation”.
You can also buy sealed boxes from newsagents and the reason dealers are cheaper is they sell from home instead of renting a shop. I’m guessing they don’t pay as much as the newsagents either?

Last edited:
That’s the problem though , it doesn’t state on the newsagents boxes they contain less hits and they are the same price . Imagine buying milk for example from coles and the same branded product from Woolworths contained 30% water ?There would be a “investigation”.
You can also buy sealed boxes from newsagents and the reason dealers are cheaper is they sell from home instead of renting a shop. I’m guessing they don’t pay as much as the newsagents either?

So I am not sure what your initial point was because I stated that the product should be labelled as hobby and retail and priced as such. In fact, I believe the cases are labelled that way.

The key difference in purchasing would be that some dealers can purchase direct through ESP while newsagents have to go through a distributor hence the inability to discount.

Tough comparison between consumables and trading cards though.

Anyway, you have your position on ESP because of the 17 Predictors and that is fine.

I think you can still be a Master Set collector as even though you may never be able complete that is still your goal.

Ross

I think with 1/1s you can still be a master set collector, just don’t collect the ESP stuff.

So I am not sure what your initial point was because I stated that the product should be labelled as hobby and retail and priced as such. In fact, I believe the cases are labelled that way.

The key difference in purchasing would be that some dealers can purchase direct through ESP while newsagents have to go through a distributor hence the inability to discount.

Tough comparison between consumables and trading cards though.

Anyway, you have your position on ESP because of the 17 Predictors and that is fine.
Nah just call it as I see things . Not saying you do ,but some people on here are afraid to speak the truth as to not offend the powers to be . The cases are labelled but do they put cases on the counter at a newsagent?? No just the boxes so no way to know.There really is no difference at all either . 2 different products packaged the same way , how is that not easy to understand??You also mentioned that dealers are the lifeblood of the hobby ? Does that mean you believe the big 2 are supporting collectors . I believe from the comments I’ve read on here most people would disagree?

Nah just call it as I see things . Not saying you do ,but some people on here are afraid to speak the truth as to not offend the powers to be . The cases are labelled but do they put cases on the counter at a newsagent?? No just the boxes so no way to know.There really is no difference at all either . 2 different products packaged the same way , how is that not easy to understand??You also mentioned that dealers are the lifeblood of the hobby ? Does that mean you believe the big 2 are supporting collectors . I believe from the comments I’ve read on here most people would disagree?
I know there are a couple of big dealers who purchase heaps of product just to bust themselves and load on Ebay, but I think you will find that the dealers who represent themselves on this site regularly absolutely support the collectors.

Your version of the truth, maybe.

Of course the cares aren’t labelled, all cases are busted at the distribution warehouse and only loose random boxes are sent out.

It is difficult to understand because that was my point, label them as hobby and retail and charge less for the latter.

I would much rather a /5 black diamond mojo is in a collectors album then in a shoebox or dropped on eBay for quick $$$.

This way dealers get incentive to buy cases and distribute to collectors who want the bigger hits and those that buy a few loose packs can do so also.

I am not referring to eBay sellers doubling as dealers even though one you mention has had their product cut significantly. I am talking about dealers on this site and the various FB pages, the same ones who allow collectors to pay boxes off over a period of time, go and pick up the stock from a warehouse to get it to collectors early, spend hours opening, packing, posting and then busting for collectors.

You seem so angry with the hobby, do you even enjoy collecting?

I know there are a couple of big dealers who purchase heaps of product just to bust themselves and load on Ebay, but I think you will find that the dealers who represent themselves on this site regularly absolutely support the collectors.
Yeah wasn’t talking about the ones on here , by being on here shows that .

Your version of the truth, maybe.

Of course the cares aren’t labelled, all cases are busted at the distribution warehouse and only loose random boxes are sent out.

It is difficult to understand because that was my point, label them as hobby and retail and charge less for the latter.

I would much rather a /5 black diamond mojo is in a collectors album then in a shoebox or dropped on eBay for quick $$$.

This way dealers get incentive to buy cases and distribute to collectors who want the bigger hits and those that buy a few loose packs can do so also.

I am not referring to eBay sellers doubling as dealers even though one you mention has had their product cut significantly. I am talking about dealers on this site and the various FB pages, the same ones who allow collectors to pay boxes off over a period of time, go and pick up the stock from a warehouse to get it to collectors early, spend hours opening, packing, posting and then busting for collectors.

You seem so angry with the hobby, do you even enjoy collecting?
Hahahahaha nah just when people twist the point . But to answer your question after seeing the way things are stacked not so much .

eating popcorn.jpg

I definitely think that dealers need to look after collectors as the market doesn't exist without them, but I also do agree that considering that they really need to make it clear in general retail cases that there's less chance of scoring certain cards. Lower price point would be good too but we can't get everything perfect

In what way ?
Rhetorical question Brett? You should know as well as anyone else here.

As stated by @Brendan_B in his last comment above - "I am talking about dealers on this site and the various FB pages, the same ones who allow collectors to pay boxes off over a period of time, go and pick up the stock from a warehouse to get it to collectors early, spend hours opening, packing, posting and then busting for collectors."

All sound familiar?

Rhetorical question Brett? You should know as well as anyone else here.

As stated by @Brendan_B in his last comment above - "I am talking about dealers on this site and the various FB pages, the same ones who allow collectors to pay boxes off over a period of time, go and pick up the stock from a warehouse to get it to collectors early, spend hours opening, packing, posting and then busting for collectors."

All sound familiar?
Somewhat familiar Mark.

Not so sure that is supporting the collector though, more helping than supporting.

Still ends up the same result for the dealer.

Just wondering if the 'box card' '10th common card' is numbered.

If so...how many boxes means how many 'full' common sets collectors can make up?

Just wondering if the 'box card' '10th common card' is numbered.

If so...how many boxes means how many 'full' common sets collectors can make up?
Considering there's a ruby mojo in each box, 144 x 40 = 5,760 boxes.
If we assume there's one card for every box, that's 360 full sets. Plus the 5 master sets I guess.
Box cards are never numbered.

Back
Top Bottom