NBA License Up For Grabs In 2013?

You have to admit, aside from redemption/sticker autos issues, Panini have released a good amount of products - high and low end, nice designs and plenty of variety. They have done a good job. The only reason I want UD and/or Topps added to the list of NBA cards, is for more products!

You have to admit, aside from redemption/sticker autos issues, Panini have released a good amount of products - high and low end, nice designs and plenty of variety. They have done a good job. The only reason I want UD and/or Topps added to the list of NBA cards, is for more products!

The funny thing is, that the conundrum is in exactly that!

People complain about sticker autos, people complain about redemptions.....

It has to be one or the other doesn't it?

Why in the world would you WANT a sole license to continue!? Monopolies are bad for everyone but the company that has it.

Easy. So that one company can release a product that has every single rookie auto in it. Not how it was where individuals signed exclusively with particular companies which meant that not one set from a particular product had every rookie's autograph in it. And considering in everyday life wherever there is a monopoly involved, what is one of the first things that starts to piss "customers" off? Customer Service right? And I would say hands down Panini kicks Upper Deck's ass in the Customer Service stakes, so I am not sure how "bad" everyone is being treated, both in terms of product on offer and value for money from that product.

The funny thing is, that the conundrum is in exactly that!

People complain about sticker autos, people complain about redemptions.....

It has to be one or the other doesn't it?

Spot on! Everyone wants everything! At some point you gotta be realistic! But in the case of retro, UD had more than enough time to sort out those autos without needing to use stickers!!!

Spot on! Everyone wants everything! At some point you gotta be realistic! But in the case of retro, UD had more than enough time to sort out those autos without needing to use stickers!!!

I agree with the earlier comment from Matt.

The delay in Retro was not about trying to get less sticker autos! It was about raising money to finish the product and promote it! It was never about needing time to get rid of stickers. They would have been trying to produce it as cheap as possible! Also explains why they have reused the same image of a player across several different cards - it is far more cost effective!

Credit to UD for the concept, not the quality. Hope Panini can get the rights to such insert sets so we can see them in NBA uniforms again!

I am missing bowman and Topps chrome gold refractors!!!

I'd be happy for panini to buy out ud , we would get the best of both worlds, surely ud isn't too far from bankruptcy

Reactions: edz
I know how the deal went down with UD/Topps/Painini but that still doesn't mean they don't have a monopoly, cause they do!

Easy. So that one company can release a product that has every single rookie auto in it. Not how it was where individuals signed exclusively with particular companies which meant that not one set from a particular product had every rookie's autograph in it. And considering in everyday life wherever there is a monopoly involved, what is one of the first things that starts to piss "customers" off? Customer Service right? And I would say hands down Panini kicks Upper Deck's ass in the Customer Service stakes, so I am not sure how "bad" everyone is being treated, both in terms of product on offer and value for money from that product.

I see where you're coming from, but I think the pros far outweigh the cons when it comes to monopolies.

I would think UD is done given the current jersey scandal. Stern does not seem to be the kind of guy that would want that sort of thing associated with the NBA.

Topps has new ownership since Panini took the licence. They might jump in again.

Would love to see Fleer somehow making NBA cards again.

I would like UD to come back...at least someone to give panini some competition to increase quality and new ideas. I mean, when panini first got their NBA licence, u gotta admit the cards looked pretty awful but now they look semi-decent to decent. There is one thing I do not like about panini is their...printing/cutting quality if you wanna call it that? I dunno, but when I look at a panini card, e.g. prestige and certified (busted a few boxes of those)...the edges look funny? Or are my eyes playing games with me? Does anyone else think the same? Maybe its the way they cut their cards....I don't know. And also, when I open a pack of panini...they seem to always be a little bit bent, like they aren't exactly flat? I don't bend the pack or anything when opening the cards...anyway I think I went off topic.

It would be nice for NBA to think more logically or in terms of business in the card industry...and let more card companies have their licence so quality is improved across the board. If this was the case, at least you will know which card companies are putting in effort in their product..

I have a feeling not many people here understand the meaning of monopoly - clearly those same people either have never played, or never really understood, the board game monopoly. A monopoly is when a company has purposefully bought out/forced out all other competitors - this is something panini never did. They are the only company currently producing nba cards - not by choice, but by the circumstance that Topps and UD wimped out. However, if we look at the Collegiate licensing it is a different story. Upper Deck purposefully signed an exclusive licence with the NCAA/CLC thus preventing SAGE/Press Pass/ other companies from getting a foot in the door. Big difference people.

As to Fleer re-doing cards, won't happen as the company is officially dead - has been since 2005. Upper Deck owns - well at least owned - all fleer/skybox licenses. I say at least, because it is clear that panini now has the Hoops License.

I have a feeling not many people here understand the meaning of monopoly - clearly those same people either have never played, or never really understood, the board game monopoly. A monopoly is when a company has purposefully bought out/forced out all other competitors - this is something panini never did. They are the only company currently producing nba cards - not by choice, but by the circumstance that Topps and UD wimped out. However, if we look at the Collegiate licensing it is a different story. Upper Deck purposefully signed an exclusive licence with the NCAA/CLC thus preventing SAGE/Press Pass/ other companies from getting a foot in the door. Big difference people.

I think your the one struggling with the definition of a monopoly. From wikipedia....

A monopoly exists when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity. Monopolies are thus characterized by a lack of economic competition to produce the good or service and a lack of viable substitute goods. In economics, a monopoly is a single seller. In law, a monopoly is business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power, to charge high prices

That's wikipedia. They can't even get the licensing changes in the 1990's correct. Monopoly the game is all about monopolising the real estate market by forcing your opponents out. But I will agree with one thing wikipedia said - there is a lack of competition simply because Upper Deck and Topps said no thanks, not interested to the proposal the NBA put forward. So if it is a monopoly by wikipedia's definition it is not because Panini forced the other companies out - which is what a lot of the whingers can't seem to their heads around. Both here and in the states.

Back
Top Bottom